• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I think I have sinned...

dougery

I was making a butter chicken (or kind of a fusion butter chicken/masala) on the fly and lo and behold... I had absolutely no tomatos in the house! (not even canned). Since I was in the "cooking zone" I grabbed a can of tomato soup and used that instead. I also cut in a couple of tablespoons of sour cream since I didn't have cream or yogurt as well.

I have to say, it tasted absolutely amazing! I used to be kind of a prude when it came to using canned soups in any of my dishes but I've got to say, if it tastes good.... Why not?

PS It now tastes exactly like the tikka masala at my favorite Indian restaurant. Sometimes accidents are the greatest sources for new flavors!

"Live every moment as if your hair were on fire" Zen Proverb

Thanks for the kind words of support in my use of the humble tomato soup. I had no idea that indian restaurants used sour cream! I learn something new every day :smile:

BTW, the sweetness of the tomato soup really balances the dish out.

I know it's a little ways off but when my baby becomes old enough to eat solid foods I was thinking of concocting a tomato soup based pasta dish for him. It seems kids love canned pastas (probably because of the sugar) and tomato soup seems like it has very similar flavors. Chef Boy-R-Doug... We'll see...

Maybe if I'm lucky he'll enjoy a good putanesca and I wont have to resort to sweet tomato sauce, but I have my reservations. I think the anchovies and chili's will be too much.

Maybe if I'm lucky he'll enjoy a good putanesca and I wont have to resort to sweet tomato sauce, but I have my reservations.  I think the anchovies and chili's will be too much.

:laugh: When my daughter was 2, she was eating Thai curries with aplomb. That stopped when she turned 3 and learned how to talk!

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

Maybe if I'm lucky he'll enjoy a good putanesca and I wont have to resort to sweet tomato sauce, but I have my reservations.

Uh...how old is he? :laugh:

He's only five months now, just starting off on rice cereal but I'm getting really excited about cooking for him! It's going to be a whole new cooking adventure!

When my son was two, he happily ate a curry that was too hot for my husband and me! We're not Indian -- I was just experimenting with ethnic foods. That was 30 years ago, and my son still loves curries above all else. So it pays to start them young. :biggrin: