• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Farmer's Markets South PHX?

How's the Happy Dirt Veggie Patch at South Mountain? I've never made it over there (it's very close to me as I live in Ahwatukee) but keep meaning to go.

Otherwise I see a list of farmer's markets every week in the AZ Republic food section that may provide pointers...not sure if you've seen that.

I've been using the Boxed Greens organic produce delivery service and have been very pleased with the quality & variety of produce.

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

Is the "Happy Dirt Veggie Patch" you mentioned the same place as "The Farm @ South Mountain"? If so, I would highly recommend checking it out. They might not have a whole lot of produce available to take away, but The Farm is an absolutely fantastic place to go for an incredibly fresh lunch served in a gorgeous setting.

As for Mesa, there used to be a couple of very basic weekend farmers' markets downtown....but we moved to Tucson last summer and are out of touch with that area. I'm thinking Saturday mornings near the intersection of Main and Center, but I don't remember for sure.

For great citrus in Mesa, there are several stands along McKellips, I think in the vicinity of Val Vista. Hope that's not too vague for you!!

In vino veritas.

Is the "Happy Dirt Veggie Patch" you mentioned the same place as "The Farm @ South Mountain"? If so, I would highly recommend checking it out. They might not have a whole lot of produce available to take away, but The Farm is an absolutely fantastic place to go for an incredibly fresh lunch served in a gorgeous setting.

This sounds great but what are the cross streets for South Mountain? Hate to be dunce but I work from home and really don't get out enough :blush:

I've driven by the one listed on Main and it is either too small to see from the road or not there the day I drove by.

I did just pick up the Gilbert Times and they have a Farmers Market listed Saturdays 8-12 at the Farmhouse Village Pavillion, 397 S. Gilbert Road: 480-892-5750. I plan on going there tomorrow so I'll let you know what I find!

Try the Guadalupe Farmer's Market, which is actually a year-round store. It has a fair amount of produce, and is a great place to get the seasonal stuff. I love going there when tomatoes and mangos are at their peak. The place also sells a lot of dried chiles, and containers of fresh-roasted chiles, too. It's at Guadalupe Road and Avenida Del Yaqui, which is just east of Kyrene.

9210 S Avenida Del Yaqui

Guadalupe,  AZ 85283 - 2526

(480) 730-1945

Try the Guadalupe Farmer's Market, which is actually a year-round store. It has a fair amount of produce, and is a great place to get the seasonal stuff. I love going there when tomatoes and mangos are at their peak. The place also sells a lot of dried chiles, and containers of fresh-roasted chiles, too. It's at Guadalupe Road and Avenida Del Yaqui, which is just east of Kyrene.

9210 S Avenida Del Yaqui

Guadalupe,  AZ 85283 - 2526

(480) 730-1945

Thanks Mrs. Inkling, this is a new one to me, I'll have to check it out.

By the way I did go to the one in Gilbert on Saturday and it was depressing. One 12 foot table, "hot house tomatoes" and (I wish I was lying), stuff brought in that was purchased at a bakery. Duh!

By the way I did go to the one in Gilbert on Saturday and it was depressing.  One 12 foot table, "hot house tomatoes" and (I wish I was lying), stuff brought in that was purchased at a bakery.  Duh!

Yikes, that would be disappointing.

I did not make it to The Farm at South Mountain after all due to a family illness. Someday I'll get there. :)

• 4 weeks later...

So this morning I hauled my cookies over to Main Street to find the Farmers Market there. Guess what I found....

Um, driving by, on the sidewalk there were 2 or 3 tables. One with fruits, fresh peaches and one with fresh eggs. Neither of which were on the slate for what I needed. How depressing! I drove past this up a few blocks to see if maybe there was something more up the road. I found a tent sign pointing back the way I came that said Mesa Farmers Market on Main. I turned around and went back and there was a same sign right in front of these 2 or 3 tables. I drove around back to see if there was something more in the parking lot, maybe this was overflow. Um, a resounding no. The only thing in the parking lot was cars. :sad::huh::blink:

So now I'm thinking if the couple people on Main put their tables together with the couple of tables on Gilbert, you still wouldn't have anything I would call a Farmer's Market. About 1/2 a mile away there was a truck in a parking lot with a sign that advertized avocados 8/$1. I thought about asking my DH to stop but since we were hoping for an actual Farmer's MARKET where we could sample some fruits and veggies and buy something to nosh on there, we were hungery and just in search of breakfast.

Still looking for fresh locally grown produce. :huh:

I guess I'll have to try the Dirt Patch afterall.

Edited by Genny (log)

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Genny,

I agree on the lack of fresh produce in the phoenix area. My wife and I recently moved down to Phoenix from San Jose, CA and we are having a hard time acclimating to the lack of local fresh produce.

Couple things things we have found..

The Chinese Market called Ranch 99 in the cofco center has some great asian produce (though it seems the weekends are when they are freshest).

As for the Farm.. my wife and I went there and thorougly enjoyed it! Make sure you go to the back to get breakfast. I enjoyed the Croque Madam and my wife enjoyed the french toast.

In addition if you do go for the veggies at the patch.. go early as they sell out quickly.. though if you really want something they are willing to go to the back and pick something for you...

Of course all of this gripping about lack of fresh local produce is quirky when we take into context that we live in the desert.. :wacko:

So this morning I hauled my cookies over to Main Street to find the Farmers Market there. Guess what I found....

Um, driving by, on the sidewalk there were 2 or 3 tables.  One with fruits, fresh peaches and one with fresh eggs.  Neither of which were on the slate for what I needed.  How depressing!  I drove past this up a few blocks to see if maybe there was something more up the road.  I found a tent sign pointing back the way I came that said Mesa Farmers Market on Main.  I turned around and went back and there was a same sign right in front of these 2 or 3 tables.  I drove around back to see if there was something more in the parking lot, maybe this was overflow.  Um, a resounding no.  The only thing in the parking lot was cars.  :sad:  :huh:  :blink:

So now I'm thinking if the couple people on Main put their tables together with the couple of tables on Gilbert, you still wouldn't have anything I would call a Farmer's Market.  About 1/2 a mile away there was a truck in a parking lot with a sign that advertized avocados 8/$1.  I thought about asking my DH to stop but since we were hoping for an actual Farmer's MARKET where we could sample some fruits and veggies and buy something to nosh on there, we were hungery and just in search of breakfast. 

Still looking for fresh locally grown produce.  :huh:

I guess I'll have to try the Dirt Patch afterall.

Hiya congi, welcome to eG! I grew up in San Jose! I moved away in 1997 but do get back about once a year to visit family.

I do go to Ranch 99 every couple months. I usually go on the weekend and it is so crowded! But I absolutley love the purple basil, bok choy, baby bok choy....there is very good produce there for my asian cooking for sure.

I agree that griping about the lack of produce in the desert is a little funny. I'm just so spoiled by the Farmers Markets in CA that it seems so strange to me they do not appear here. I know people grow produce for sale. I see citrus trees everywhere and there are a number of farms around, just not a great Farmer's Market with the local produce and I'll admit, I love the other "assundries" that I usually find like honey, cheeses, jewelry, spices.... the list goes on.

I will (I promise!) haul my cookies over to the dirt patch one of these mornings.

I hope you enjoy eG and ask away on the boards, especially the Southwest board for your local needs!

• 4 weeks later...

Summer's the least interesting time for Farmer's Markets in Phoenix, but there are a few that are year-round. Check out the Town & Country Market on Wednesday afternoon and Road Runner Park (on Cactus) on Saturday morning. The Phoenix downtown market on Saturday morning has fewer producers during the summer, but check out Maya's Farm for local eggs, herbs, flowers and some produce. The larger market in Mesa is the one on Center Street on Fridays, but I'm not sure how much they have in the heat of the summer either.

Another summer option is to visit some of the farm stands in the West Valley such as Tolmachoff Farms.

The best way to get fresh local produce in the Phoenix area is to join a CSA, although again they tend to run from October to July. Try Desert Roots Farm or the Little Farm in Gilbert. Victory Farms was serving central Phoenix, but this is their last week and the future is uncertain.

Wow, thanks for the info PFF! Welcome to eG! I haven't been "searching" this past month since I figured it wasn't a good time of year. I'll be trying again maybe in August.

• 1 month later...

For those of you still looking for good produce in the Valley, you might be interested in the following:

Join Slow Food Phoenix this Sunday, September 18 for the Produce Info Fair at the Calico Cow Restaurant. You'll hear about Valley-wide options for local and/or organic produce pick-up and delivery. This is a quick and easy way to eat more fruit and vegetables!

Representatives from local CSA's, Buying Clubs and Produce Delivery Companies such as Boxed Greens, Crooked Sky Farms, Desert Roots Farm, the Little Farm in Gilbert and North Valley Organics will be on hand to tell you about their offerings.

Bring your friends - we'd like a big turn out to support our local Valley farmers and produce companies.

This is a free event. Light refreshments will be served.

3:00 to 5:00 pm Calico Cow Restaurant 8525 N. Central Avenue in Phoenix