• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beer and Cheese

Susan in FL

Russ also shopped for cheeses when he went to Delmarva, and three that he brought home are blue cheeses. I was searching for some ideas of what to drink when we taste the blues, and came across this.

Click here for a good article on Beer and Cheese.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Bayley Hazen Blue, Cashel Blue, and Aged Cabrales. The aged Cabrales was stinking up our fridge, even though it was wrapped, wrapped, and wrapped. :smile: We're going to have barleywine and stout with them, as soon as the cheeses get to room temperature. I'll report back!

Recently I enjoyed a beer-cheese pairing involving 2 blue-veined cheeses (see "Beer Dinner" thread in the PA Forum) and a chevre, and the beer involved was Heavyweight Lunacy, a Belgian triple style. Glorious pairing!

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Recently I enjoyed  a beer-cheese pairing involving 2 blue-veined cheeses (see "Beer Dinner" thread in the PA Forum) and a chevre, and the beer involved was Heavyweight Lunacy, a Belgian triple style.  Glorious pairing!

That sounds wonderful.

Here's the link to click for anyone else who is interested in reading about what sounds like some awesome beer & food matches.

We drank an oatmeal stout and a barleywine with the blue cheeses. As mentioned in another post, we went with one oatmeal stout to follow in the beer theme of the day (Wild Goose) and it wasn't the best choice for a beer and cheese pairing. A sweeter, heavier stout would have been much better. The 2005 Big Foot was very good with the blues, however. My favorite match-up of all the combinations was the Big Foot with the Cashel Blue. Oh my.... The accompaniments were bread, sliced pears, walnuts, and toasted pinenuts, but I found the way to go with the Big Foot and Cashel Blue was to put a finger full of the cheese in my mouth, savor and swallow, and then suck down a nice long taste of Big Foot.

:wub:

I'm a big fan of this Lunacy, unfortunately the bar that I go to that has it probably isn't going to have the fromagerie to match it. I guess it wouldn't be as bad as the time I brown bagged some cheese to a wine tasting...

This thread almost makes me wish there was a cheese forum on EG.

I do wish there was a cheese forum on eG!

I have yet to try the Lunacy, and even though I am not usually fond of that style beer, I would love to have some so I can experience it.