• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[SEA] Finding Bayonne ham....

I would head to de Laurenti. In the absence of Bayonne ham, you could almost certainly get away with prosciutto or culatello from Salumi. Keller and Cerciello stopped in at Salumi when they were in town and I heard they liked what they saw and tasted.

I'm not sure the precise type of garlic sausage you are looking for, but I would give Uli's a call and see if they have what you need.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

Wendy: I've used Uli's french-style garlic sausage (I think he calls it Strasbourg) in cassoulet and been quite happy. No ideas on Bayonne ham, but I agree that proscuitto or culatello is a good substitute.

While we're on the subject of finding ham... anyone know if there's a source for country (aka virgina/smithfield-style) ham in town? I've got a couple of recipes I've been itching to try, but I don't want to buy a whole ham mail-order. :)

~A

Edited by ScorchedPalate (log)

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

While we're on the subject of finding ham... anyone know if there's a source for country (aka virgina/smithfield-style) ham in town? I've got a couple of recipes I've been itching to try, but I don't want to buy a whole ham mail-order. :)

Some places will send a half-ham. While its still a lot, its less than a whole. My current fave is the Holloway Ham. They are double smoked, so will be more smoky tasting than even a Smithfield. Holloway sells half-hams. If you want less smoky, go for a Smithfield or a Broadbent. A google search turns up all sorts of places selling country hams. Be sure the get the real deal though, and not one of those injected thingees :unsure:

I don't know of anywhere locally where you can buy real country ham. Tell you what, I have some Holloway Ham in my fridge right now, I'll bring a sample for you to taste this Saturday if you are interested...

Born Free, Now Expensive

Wendy, I've not tried the Uli sausages, so you'll have to let me know what they are like. IMO if you want the saucisson l'ail, you need to travel north and visit Oyama's at Granville Island. They also have Bayonne.

Let me know if you want to make a day trip :-)

edit: yes, that's right, I'm willing to travel 4-5 hrs RT just for french charcuterie. :rolleyes:

Edited by malarkey (log)

Born Free, Now Expensive

I am also willing to travel that far but since I don't have time I ordered from D'Artagnan!

Got the saucisson l'ail, bayonne, pate, tarbais beans, duck bacon and pheasant terrine. And it all shipped overnight! love that place!!

I don't know of anywhere locally where you can buy real country ham. Tell you what, I have some Holloway Ham in my fridge right now, I'll bring a sample for you to taste this Saturday if you are interested...

I would love to try some. I'm entirely ashamed that I was born in Virginia and I have no idea what a proper country ham tastes like.

~A

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com