• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oatmeal Stouts

Susan in FL

Russ returned last night from another trip up north to include shopping for beer. This time he focused on stouts, in addition to IPAs, which are hard to find down here. I love stouts for breakfast, especially oatmeal stouts. So along with three brands of scrapple, he got five kinds of oatmeal stouts. Two we had with breakfast.

gallery_13038_837_93968.jpg

gallery_13038_837_12601.jpg

Anderson Valley's Barney Flats is one of our long time favorites, and the Wolaver's (from Otter Creek) was new to us. Barney Flats tastes so creamy, and goes especially well with scrapple. Its creaminess is a great match to the scrapple when it's cooked crispy on the outside and creamy soft on the inside. Hey, you could almost make a case that an oatmeal stout could sometimes be described as creamy on the inside and crispy on the outside!

The Wolaver's was quite crisp through and through. It might even quench your thirst! Less creamy (except for the head), but still hearty and rich, it goes down way too easily.

We long finished eating, but we're still sampling these oatmeal stouts. By the way, breakfast was Rapa Brand scrapple, eggs baked on creamed spinach, sliced tomatoes, and cut mango.

If you haven't taken the opportunity to taste some oatmeal stouts, please do, and let us know about it. If you have, I hope you'll post about some that you have enjoyed the most.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Oooops! We emptied our glasses into our bellies before I remembered to take a picture of this one, another oatmeal stout we hadn't tasted before. ...At least, not that I recall.

gallery_13038_837_36611.jpg

In terms of creaminess, I thought this one was between the other two. It is quite dry -- actually, bitter. I don't mean that in a negative way, but some might be put off by the bitterness. It had a fairly good mouthfeel, and a nice balanced finish. Since we were finished eating, I can't comment on how it paired up with food.

You two REALLY know how to live.

Yes, we do have How To Have Fun down pat. :smile:

gallery_13038_837_101421.jpg

Our fourth and final oatmeat stout of the day was with our cheese tasting. I do believe that another kind of stout -- sweeter, for one thing -- would have been better with blue cheese, but since we were on a roll with oatmeat stouts we had one more. This was my least favorite oatmeal stout yesterday, but it's hard to say whether it was inferior or because it wasn't a very good match with the cheese. We have five more Wild Goose Oatmeal Stouts, so I venture to say I will find out. :biggrin:

Though I've never tried it for breakfast, Trader Joe's Oatmeal Stout is really tasty--thick, rich silky mouthfeel with coffee, choco and malty flavors-yum. Amazingly good especially for the price, $4.99 I believe for the six pack. Who brews their beers . Are any of the others any good? Our local TJs just brought in a big display of three German style brews- a Vienna lager, a hef, and a bock. Has anyone tried these or other TJs beers?

:biggrin:

What/where is your work fridge, Chris? ....Not a culinary setting, I take it. :sad:

I would be interested to know who brews the beer for Trader Joe's too, Amy. And, if anybody has tasted any others. I wish we had Trader Joe's here... I hadn't even been in one until this past August when I was in Philly. Then I could see what everybody has been talking about!

Our fourth and final oatmeat stout of the day was with our cheese tasting.  I do believe that another kind of stout -- sweeter, for one thing -- would have been better with blue cheese, but since we were on a roll with oatmeat stouts we had one more. 

gallery_20124_1114_1532.jpg

Although I don't think you can get this in Florida, Cottonwood makes an Almond Stout that might fit your bill for a sweeter style stout.

It has a nice coffee-almond aroma and flavor profile. My only complaint about it is that it is a bit thin in its mouthfeel. Otherwise, an unusual but tasty interpretation of the style.

Edited by Brent Kulman (log)

Very interesting! I did not know that almond stout existed. I would be sure to try that if I had the opportunity.

I could very easily make it a major mission in life to taste all stouts. Maybe I will take another trip up north myself. Thanks!

If you haven't taken the opportunity to taste some oatmeal stouts, please do, and let us know about it.  If you have, I hope you'll post about some that you have enjoyed the most.

Samuel Smith's makes an excellent example of the style. Highly recommended- if you ever come across any do not hesitate to pick it up.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

Stop by and try one next time you're in the Chicago area.

Be careful what you ask for, you might get it. :biggrin:

Samuel Smith's makes an excellent example of the style. Highly recommended- if you ever come across any do not hesitate to pick it up.

Will do!

Well it might not be next week, but it could happen! I've got a step-daughter going to law school in Chicago and we think we should visit and check out her neighborhood. She said she lives near a good beer bar. Any good parent would want to make sure of such things.

Yeah I know... I am so envious. Not to mention that it's the home of Goose Island. Yes, we definately must visit her when it's warm enough to tolerate the climate. :raz:

• 1 month later...
Who makes Eight Ball oatmeal stout?

I think the beer bar near where my step-daughter lives is Hopleaf.  ...Know of it?

lost coast out of califorina makes 8 ball, and it is quite nice. st ambroise oatmeal stout is the best I ever had, rogue shakespear is nice too. I love stout

ns

There's nothing like a pork belly to steady the nerves - Fergus Henderson

I think the beer bar near where my step-daughter lives is Hopleaf.  ...Know of it?

Hop Leaf is excellent - a defiinite destination if you're into Belgian brews and Belgian food, like mussels, steamed over so many things, including Belgian beers. And they're very careful to serve the various brews in the particular glass appropriate to the brew. Go there!