• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seattle Restaurants

My girlfriend and I are planning a trip to Seattle sometime next spring, probably 4-5 days and I am having some trouble finding restaurants to go to. So far here is a list of ones that seem to stand out:

Brasa

Elliott's Oyster House

Earth and Ocean

Dahlia Lounge

Sazerac

Tulio

Marjorie

I am also very interested in both Palace Kitchen and Lark but I am worried about going to those two since neither take reservations. Money isn't an issue but I am looking for places which are unique to Seattle that have excellent food and a fun and enjoyable relaxing atmosphere. Does anyone have any recommendations or can anyone suggest any others, possibly new ones that I do not know about. Any help would be greatly suggested.

mike

Definately go to Lark!! Just go on a weeknight and you won't have any problem getting a table. We do that. It's really wonderful. Same with Palace- go on a weeknight!

Let me add a few of my favorites:

Le Pichet- fantastic French bistro

Union- THE restaurant and chef to watch, gorgeous food

Zoe- Monday is 1/2 price bottles of wine and the food is great!

Salumi- lunch only Tues thru Fri. This is Mario Batali's dads place and is the place for Italian deli

Lola- Greek across from Dahlia, also owned by Tom Douglas

Flying Fish- small and regular plates of creative seafood

Harvest Vine - amazing Basque food in Madison Valley

Crow- great new place on lower Queen Anne

I would only go to Brasa for the 1/2 price happy hour bar menu.

I'm not a big fan of E&O but I know others who are...

Why Sazerac? Not bad but not worth a trip IMO

I haven't had the chance to go yet but Lampria gets excellent reviews as done Cascadia.

You'll get many more suggestions!!

Edited by little ms foodie (log)

Definately go to Lark!! Just go on a weeknight and you won't have any problem getting a table. We do that. It's really wonderful. Same with Palace- go on a weeknight!

Let me add a few of my favorites:

Le Pichet- fantastic French bistro

Union- THE restaurant and chef to watch, gorgeous food

Zoe- Monday is 1/2 price bottles of wine and the food is great!

Salumi- lunch only Tues thru Fri. This is Mario Batali's dads place and is the place for Italian deli

Lola- Greek across from Dahlia, also owned by Tom Douglas

Flying Fish- small and regular plates of creative seafood

You'll get many more suggestions!!

Harvest Vine - amazing Basque food in Madison Valley

Crow- great new place on lower Queen Anne

I would only go to Brasa for the 1/2 price happy hour bar menu.

I'm not a big fan of E&O but I know others who are...

Why Sazerac? Not bad but not worth a trip IMO

I haven't had the chance to go yet but Lampria gets excellent reviews as done Cascadia.

If you're looking for unique, it's hard to beat Matt's in the Market, and they now take reservations.

From lmf's list, I would second Le Pichet, Union (my fav), Salumi, Harvest Vine and Crow. Add Lampreia, where I recently had my first experience, and Maximilien, if you'd like to go somewhere with view.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

I would say that Lampreia is in the same category price-wise as Rover's; that said, I think Lampreia is excellent.

I also heartily second Union, Matt's in the Market, Salumi and Harvest Vine (just an addendum to LMF's description, their food is served tapas-style, not Basque family-style).

Enjoy your visit!

Jan

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

If you do go to Elliot's, here's the best way to enjoy it:

1. Sit at the bar.

2. Chat up the bartender about the day's selection of oysters. There will be 10-20 varieties.

3. Order a dozen of whichever suits your taste, creamy, briney, giant, or tiny, and enjoy with a glass of chardonnay or stout.

4. Go to step 2.

If you absolutely must have something other than oysters, order a crab or crab cocktail.

The rest of the menu is mostly the same seafood standards you can find all over town. The oyster selection is what makes Elliot's special.

Edited by vengroff (log)

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

Since Marjorie is on your list and is almost completely overlooked on this board, I must stick up for Marjorie. It's a lovely and relaxing restaurant with very good food and just about the most genuinely gracious staff I've come across. Also a good wine selection and excellent handcrafted cocktails. It's one of my favorites.

Cafe Lago for brilliant (and not heavy) Italian dishes and incredible pizza.

Edited by MsRamsey (log)

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

If you absolutely must have something other than oysters, order a crab or crab cocktail.

The rest of the menu is mostly the same seafood standards you can find all over town.  The oyster selection is what makes Elliot's special.

Maybe I'll have to try the oysters at Elliot's. I haven't been back after a traumatic risotto and "seared" ahi experience the first time I went.

If money is no object, Rover's is the top choice IMHO.

Don't miss Cafe Campagne for the Oeufs en Meurette for breakfast.

Pink Door is very worth a look for the terrace and view if the weather's good.

Harvest Vine for sure for sure.

In general, what everyone else said is right. <g>

Steve

"Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon." --Dalai Lama

An addtion:

As a Vancouver, B.C. visitor, I have also loved Wild Ginger. Is it still good?

Last time I was there it was fabulous - Coriander/lime satays, wonderful

curries and the Ginger martini was great. I liked the newer room as well (have been to both).

Love Seattle

I would certainly add Cascadia, because of its local products tasting menu. And, also Mistral in Belltown. Chef Belickis has an enjoyable view of a tasting menu and an eclectic wine list.

Da Captain

Edited by Captain Hongo (log)

Captain Hongo

Kingfish Cafe off of Capitol Hill is a must. The catfish cakes are great. Urban soul food at it's best. You've got to try the strawberry shortcake! (Be sure to get there early)

"Live every moment as if your hair were on fire" Zen Proverb

Last time I was there it was fabulous - Coriander/lime satays, wonderful

curries and the Ginger martini was great. I liked the newer room as well (have been to both).

For fancy Asian, I'd actually recommend Monsoon over Wild Ginger. May might also be good if you don't mind the complete lack of vegetables that aren't battered and deep fried.

Thanks alot for all the suggestions, I will most definitely check out Union and Cascadia. And I will take a chance and go to Lark, it sounds way too good to pass up. Just out of curiousity, not too many people mentioned much about Brasa, is there a particular reason? I thought it was one of the top restaurants in the city.

Brasa has the best deal in town for their bar menu -- what is it, 5-7 PM every night? Good half-price menu. Eating in the main dining room has extremely mixed reviews for quality and attitude of the staff.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Brasa has the best deal in town for their bar menu -- what is it, 5-7 PM every night?  Good half-price menu.  Eating in the main dining room has extremely mixed reviews for quality and attitude of the staff.

I've always had great meals in the dining room--some of the best ever. But the bar 5-7 is the total deal. You can get a small steak (or seared fish), small salad, and incredibly great crispy onions (ask for them instead of frites) on a single plate for like $6. Other interesting choices as well.

"Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon." --Dalai Lama

DO go to Matt's in the Market. No trip to Seattle is complete without going there.

My very favorite is Rover's in Madison Park - it's pricy but worth it.

Some Bellevue restaurants that I enjoy are Sea Star - Chef John Howie's seafood and raw bar - the 3 tiered appetizer platter is great! For a more casual, but hearty and delicious flavors is the Mediterranean Kitchen. I think there is one in Seattle also. Lebanese, Turkish with lots of garlic and the prices are around $12-15 for 3 courses which you always have lunch and then some for the next day also. Have fun!

Debra

Debra

www.mychefdelivers.com

• 1 month later...

If you like Italian definitely try Il Terrazzo Carmine...absolutely wonderful and a divine wine list. Rover's is a must as well, but make reservations well in advance. On the eastside, i.e., Bellevue, Seastar is an elegant seafood oriented restaurant. If you want to take a delightful drive up I5, get off at Chuckanut Drive and go to the Oyster Bar (www.theoysterbaronchuckanutdrive.com) (reservations also recommended) for a great view of Puget Sound and fabulous food. Another favorite is Zoe for elegant bistro type food. We really have some great dining in Seattle, but it's nothing like NYC or London.

My quick faves.

Cactus in Madison Park for SW food that you will die for. Skip their Kirkland branch. OK food but not the same ambience.

Lola for new greek. My current favorite. Try the goat if it is on the menu.

Voleterra in Ballard for Tuscan Italian. Try the Wild Boar.

Dragonfish instead of Wild Ginger. Had two horrible experiences there.

Icon Grille, just have Mac and Cheese or the meatloaf

Best seafood I have ever had anyplace is Seastar in Bellevue.

Cafe Jaunita in Kirkland for Northern Italian.

I love the entrees at Brasa. Especially the suckling pig. Had it a number of times and it was incredible.

And you can never go wrong at Dahlia Lounge. Tuscan bread salad and anything else on the menu.

Ooh, glad I found this thread. Boyfriend and I are headed to Seattle in a couple of weeks, and my birthday happens to fall on the weekend we're going -- so a nice Saturday night dinner would be ideal. Or maybe Matt's in the Market for lunch and a more low-key dinner would be in order?

We're staying in Squire Park (no clue where that is in relation to anything else) but will have a car.

Need a plan for Saturday lunch, Saturday dinner, and Sunday lunch/brunch, most likely. We like seafood (but not raw oysters), anything ethnic, probably not more than $200 for the two of us and preferably less. If there's anywhere we can opt for food that's not too rich, that would also be a plus.

Cooking and writing and writing about cooking at the SIMMER blog

Pop culture commentary at Intrepid Media

• 2 weeks later...

Here are a few things I would recommend:

Le pichet: order the roast chicken for two (http://iheartbacon.com/index.php?id=7)

Crow: new-ish restaurant on the bottom of queen anne; had an exceptional meal there--it's crowded though, so be sure to make a reservation (http://iheartbacon.com/index.php?id=54)

Restaurant Zoe: get any dish that comes with lentils

Eva (in wallingford): blue cheese flan! rabbit with chorizo bread pudding! (kind of a homey, relaxed atmosphere)

Salumi Cured Meats: they're only open for lunch on weekdays, but this is a must. get the Porchetta Sandwich and some Guanciale to bring home! (http://iheartbacon.com/index.php?id=155)

I love, love, love Brasa, but it can be oddly hit or miss. I go to the (casual) happy hour in the bar for the lamb burger. From the restaurant menu, my faves are the suckling pig with chorizo and fontina ravs.

Also, this may be out of your way, but I also really like Cafe Juanita in Kirkland. It's kind of in a weird house-restaurant, but the food is inventive and incredible.

Have a great trip!!

Edited by megwoo (log)

Megan Woo

IHEARTBACON.COM

Why is Brooklyn not in this list? Thought the food was really good. Had my best meal for the week in August last year after an Alaskan cruise. Or were my taste buds shot after a week of cruise liner food?

Cirilo

"There is something uncanny in the noiseless rush of the cyclist, as he comes into view, passes by, and disappears."

Popular Science, 1891