• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beef tartare

hjshorter

I had a very good steak tartare last night at the bar at Bistro Bis. Nicely garnished with a strong Dijon, frisee, cress, and house-made garlic chips. It was shot through with capers, and cornichons and pearl onions were served on the side.

As a Chef what can I say worked with a master once who completly converted me, first and for most this a dish that brings every fault in the beef to light to use anything but the best Filet is wrong it should be finely chopped not minced, the finest chopped shallot so small you hardly know it's there with a big fat gherkin chopped as small with a few capers a little english mustard and a splash of worsceter sauce, fresh grond pepper and salt with the bightest free range yolk you can find finished with something to put it on and with a red wine I'm there

Perfection cant be reached, but it can be strived for :huh:

Perfection cant be reached, but it can be strived for!

On Saturday I had Beef Tartare at 2941. It was made with a Waygu tenderloin. Chef Krinn came and told us about the beef that he uses, he also brought a piece of the tenderloin. Apparently the herd that he buys his meet from is a pure breed of Waygu (while others have been bred with Angus), and they only sell to three chefs (Trotter and Boulan being the others). The tenderloin was marbled like a piece of prime strip or ribeye.

He mixed the diced meet with roasted green pepper and mustard oil. I am not sure how to best describe this dish. It was clean, simple, and perfect.

Well Heather, this will probably bring this thread to a screetching halt, but nevertheless:

One of my favorite neighbors worked for decades at the Washington Hilton as a room-service and then banquet waiter (oh, the stories he can tell).

He developed a recipe for beef (or steak, no matter) tartare which was used for years at the Hilton, until they dropped it because of concerns about serving raw meat.

This same recipe was used in his own home and COOKED, which became known as "Fernando Burgers." I got the recipe from him.

There is a thread here (or on DR.com) about the best burgers in DC. Well, I MAKE THEM. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Not "tartare" of course, but there you are.

Well Heather, this will probably bring this thread to a screetching halt, but nevertheless:

One of my favorite neighbors worked for decades at the Washington Hilton as a room-service and then banquet waiter (oh, the stories he can tell).

He developed a recipe for beef (or steak, no matter) tartare which was used for years at the Hilton, until they dropped it because of concerns about serving raw meat.

This same recipe was used in his own home and COOKED, which became known as "Fernando Burgers."  I got the recipe from him.

There is a thread here (or on DR.com) about the best burgers in DC.  Well, I MAKE THEM. :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Well....what is the recipe?

Wearing jeans to the best restaurants in town.

This same recipe was used in his own home and COOKED, which became known as "Fernando Burgers."  I got the recipe from him.

There is a thread here (or on DR.com) about the best burgers in DC.  Well, I MAKE THEM. :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Well....what is the recipe?

Yes, do tell!

Don’t you have a machine that puts food into the mouth and pushes it down?

--Nikita Khrushchev to Richard Nixon during the "Kitchen Debate" in Moscow, 1959

Um, OK:

There aren't any measurements, per se.

Add Dijon mustard, capers, chopped red onion, Worstershire sauce, salt, lots of pepper, all "to taste." (Yeah, I know--how helpful is that?). And, an egg.

I just use ground beef. Depending on how lean it is, adding some fresh bread crumbs can also help with the texture . I maybe leaving something out, but I don't know what it is at the moment.

I make these in the summer to grill for the gang at the Promenade, so I don't buy expensive cuts of meat or grind it myself. Those folks wouldn't appreciate the extra effort (we are talking under-developed palates here) and I wouldn't care for the extra expense of doing it that way.

There's no doubt that one or more of you will take this and run with it. Have at it!

Barbara

Barbara,

Many thanks for sharing your recipe with us. Perfect timing for the grilling season!

Don’t you have a machine that puts food into the mouth and pushes it down?

--Nikita Khrushchev to Richard Nixon during the "Kitchen Debate" in Moscow, 1959