• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Storing a Cake Covered in Fondant

pastryjen

Hhmn, so you eat the good ones, haha. Sounds like a good attitude to me. I am still trying to get my head around remelting less than perfect ones when they tend to cry out to be eaten.

Haha, well I can relate to what you mean when you refer to marble sometimes coming out scarey looking, it can. Usually when you care how it turns out or don't have time to re-do.

Sounds like we are of like mind with the prices for these.

I do like the idea of a chocolate pull out drawer for some of the cake pieces.

Hhmn, so you eat the good ones, haha.  Sounds like a good attitude to me.    I am still trying to get my head around remelting less than perfect ones when they tend to cry out to be eaten.

The idea of course is that I will reverence the 'good ones' and not touch. Still working on it apparently. Looks good on paper. I was so-o sick, now that creates beaucoups of reverence :raz:

I do like the idea of a chocolate pull out drawer for some of the cake pieces.

Pull out drawer?? For the storage of chess pieces?? What do you mean, SqC.??

Edited by K8memphis (log)

Yes, it is sort of put underneath and made to look pulled open to reveal some pieces. Usually it is more done for effect than actually a complete drawer but it looks really neat. I just cannot think of where I could link you to a picture of one. But basically make a square the same size or at least the same width as your cake and attach side strips.

I have also seen one that had the chess board raised up, like a chess table, with feet.

Heehee, when I made the chess board I messed up and reversed where I positioned the queen and king, thought I would never live that one down. Checkmate....

Well I like your attitude about eating the good ones. We always tend to give away good ones and reserve the not so perfect for ourselves. But that demonstrates a healthy attitude. Good for you kiddo! Haha, hhmn, next time you might want to go easy on them, haha. But it was an experiment right? How much chocolate can you eat without getting sick?

I have a theory that sweets are best eaten in the morning on an empty stomach. Otherwise we are always eating dessert on a full stomach and our palettes don't get to truly appreciate these items. So I have been known to eat carrot cake or chocolate cake first thing in the morning. Likely not a good idea for anyone with sugar issues but, haha, what a way to start the day. (Well as long as you don't have small children around that might catch you in the act. Sort of makes it hard to reinforce the idea of them eating a good breakfast... Plus they usually have big mouths and may tattle to the neighbours. I was known as the "Rocky Road Breakfast Queen" for a few years!)

Thank you all for your kind help! I think I am going to try both recipes, the MMF/candy combination and the RLB recipe. I really appreciate the pointers and hints, those will definately some in handy! I need the fondant to cover 'thank you' cookies for my parents' 40th wedding anniversary in november, so one final question is if the fondant will keep for a reasonable amount of time. It would be nice if I didn;t have to make everything in the last week.

Lena, thanks for posting that picture, I think the cake is lovely. How nice to have a Russion decorator aboard!

I'd love to post some pictures of the test cookies I did, but I can't figure out how to attach a picture!

I've used rolled fondant on a few occasions for cookies; if you can apply it while the cookies are warm, it adheres better and is less likely to come apart from the cookie later.

If the rolled fondant becomes an issue, I'd suggest using the food processor poured fondant recipe from the Cake Bible to cover the cookies with. (You can buy this stuff ready made but it comes in a huge bucket.) You might need two coats for better coverage - it would depend on how thinly it goes on.

heleen1

I never covered cookies with fondant, only cakes. Can't help...

Lena, thanks for posting that picture, I think the cake is lovely. How nice to have a Russion decorator aboard!
Thank you :wub:Are you also Russian?
I'd love to post some pictures of the test cookies I did, but I can't figure out how to attach a picture!
I can't help you, I did it by the long way and I think I was wrong - it shoul be much shorter way :wacko: I know just that you should download your pics to egullet (where all photoes are) and then show.

I love to decorate cakes and you may see my cakes here: http://foto.mail.ru/mail/bonya_l/1

Thanks Jeanne, however I don't know if I will manage to do that. I was planning on making and freezeing the undecorated cookie, that decorate later. I think I heard freezing fondant is not a good idea? Not really sure though. It will depend on my schedule and how things get along I guess. And on what wedding cake I'll have to make to go with the cookies!

Forgot to ask: will the MM fondant behave like I'm used to with regulare fondant? I mean will it dry and harden? Could I make bow loops with it, for instance? Just wondering... I'm considering bow-loopy flowers for the cake decoration.

Thanks Jeanne, however I don't know if I will manage to do that. I was planning on making and freezeing the undecorated cookie, that decorate later. I think I heard freezing fondant is not a good idea? Not really sure though. It will depend on my schedule and how things get along I guess. And on what wedding cake I'll have to make to go with the cookies!

If you want to freeze the undecorated cookie, you could take them out, 'refresh' them in the oven for a few minutes before pouring the fondant, if you're worried about adhesion.

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

Forgot to ask: will the MM fondant behave like I'm used to with regulare fondant? I mean will it dry and harden? Could I make bow loops with it, for instance? Just wondering... I'm considering bow-loopy flowers for the cake decoration.

Just plain mmf will not perform like regular fondant for loops. It's a bit different. It is softer and takes much longer to set up. It doesn't exactly crust like fondant. When I add the candy clay it sets up much better. But still it is some different. But I have totally made all kindsa stuff with it.

But then, it sure looks like Lenabo makes all kindsa stuff with hers if indeed her gorgeous lilies are mmf. She said she added shortening to model if I am remembering correctly. I would also add corn starch.

Just plain mmf will not perform like regular fondant for loops. It's a bit different. It is softer and takes much longer to set up. It doesn't exactly crust like fondant. When I add the candy clay it sets up much better. But still it is some different. But I have totally made all kindsa stuff with it.

But then, it sure looks like Lenabo makes all kindsa stuff with hers if indeed her gorgeous lilies are mmf. She said she added shortening to model if I am remembering correctly. I would also add corn starch.

heleen1

Do you have the same problems as I have, getting ingredients and tools and such? I think that is my biggest problem, getting the things I need
I think I have much more problems! I live in far north of the country and difficult to find anything! Impossible even to find cream sometimes :wink: But at least I found how to replace some ingredients :raz: And I order some stuff from... London :wacko:
Forgot to ask: will the MM fondant behave like I'm used to with regulare fondant? I mean will it dry and harden? Could I make bow loops with it, for instance?
Yes, it is good, and as K8memphis said if you add some corn starch it will be firmly.

I add some shortering to make figures (MMF becomes more pliant), but for flowers I add starch (no shortering). For covering I make softener MMF and for flowers - harder.

But what is candy clay, K8memphis ?

I love to decorate cakes and you may see my cakes here: http://foto.mail.ru/mail/bonya_l/1

But what is candy clay, K8memphis ?

Candy clay is

chocolate + corn syryp = 'candy clay',

also called 'chocolate plastic'

So for the chocolate you can also use candy melts or summer coating

(it has many names).

You can use chocolate that is made with vegetable oil or you can use genuine chocolate that is made with cocoa butter.

I use the vegetable oil type most of the time.

400 grams (14 -16 ounces) of chocolate

108 grams (1/3 cup) corn syrup

Gently melt chocolate. Add the corn syrup. Stir gently till all combined.

Most people turn the clay out onto waxed paper or plastic wrap at this point, cover, and allow to cool.

I allow mine to stay in the same container that I stirred it in.

Candy clay can separate as it cools.

If candy clay is smoothed out and kept level on the top in the container, it does not separate for me.

However it is not as easy to remove from the container this way, but that is how I do it.

No worries if it does separate, just knead it back in.

Recipe

Edited by K8memphis (log)

Thanks a lot, K8memphis!

So funny, I thought it out myself some time ago :) :) :) I added some modelling chocolate (corn syrop+chocolate) to fondant and found this mixture fine!

Edited by lenabo (log)

Probably a dumb question but if you were making homemade marshmallows to make marshmallow fondant, would you just whip up the marshmallow, then go straight to mixing in the additional icing sugar and corn syrup to make the fondant rather than letting the marshmallow set? Or is the setting and melting of the marshmallow important? Or is it sort of inbetween, like you would whip up the marshmallow, then heat it up again since it would have started setting, then continue?

Michelle Pham

I like pie.

I made hame marshmellows ones (somewhere from this site the recepie was) and made some fondant from this.

I think It's easier just to make geltine fondant :) It it is not worth making MM and fondant than (though only if you already have some).

May be probably my marshmallows were not so good (my mixer is very slow), but it was not necessary to melt MM, they were easy mixing with icing sugar.

It was my not very successful experiens (as I said my marshmallows probably were not good), may be yours, fodgycakes, will work better?

I offered to learn to make rolled mint fondant for my sister's wedding (I was just going to bring a small cake) and she said that the person making her main wedding cake said that fondant tastes like melted chewing gum. Ok, I guess I've never tasted it then. Is it that bad? If so, maybe I won't waste my time learning. I don't have a business of any kind. I was only going to do it because I've always been curious about it but now I'm not so sure.

Rolled fondant tastes a lot like a marshmallow....except the texture is different. It's....chewier?

I don't know if that's the right word.

In regard to ready-made brands, some are better than others. I personally like Pettinice and Deco Roma....they taste just fine.

Of course some people will tell you it's awful, but just keep in mind that some people think buttercream is awful too. :wink:

Rolled fondant tastes a lot like a marshmallow....except the texture is different. It's....chewier?

I don't know if that's the right word.

In regard to ready-made brands, some are better than others. I personally like Pettinice and Deco Roma....they taste just fine.

Of course some people will tell you it's awful, but just keep in mind that some people think buttercream is awful too.  :wink:

Maybe like a Lucky Charm's marshmallow??