• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Storing a Cake Covered in Fondant

pastryjen

Not sure how would I tell?

It came in a 50lb. box with the fondant eclosed in a bag.

What is the difference?

Poured fondant is semi-liquid, and is poured over the cake. Rolled fondant is like clay -- its rolled out and placed on a cake.

I have the rolled fondant.

Which one is better, or is it just preferance?

I don't use fondant very often, but I imagine each version has its virtues. With cakes I think rolled fondant is more widely used. Poured fondant on the other hand can be useful as a glaze for cookie, eclairs, petit fours, etc.

Edited by Patrick S (log)

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

I bought a 50lb box of fondant for $20.  I haven't opened it yet.  I was wondering if anyone knows if you can add color to it, and how?  Would I use powdered color or a liquid color?

Thanks,

-z

What brand fondant is it ? ......that is a really good price!! I make my own rolled fondant.

I got it from a local baking supply store (Ruhl Brothers) they're in Maryland. More than what I need. But I just bought it to practice with.

I just want to put a really thin layer of fondant over the cake.

Sometimes when you add a lot of color to fondant, it becomes slack and hard to roll out because it is so much stickier than it was before the color was added. This could be part of your difficulties.

I like to use cornstarch (I put it in a bouquet garni bag and use that to dust the work surface) instead of confectioner's sugar - with the sugar, I've found it dries the fondant out faster than the cornstarch does. If you use too much of either one, the fondant dries out and starts to crack.

I use a stainless steel table to roll out fondant on (I don't use the silpat, it sticks no matter what), and if your fondant is as sticky as I think it might be, you might want to try icing down the table to cool it first (and just to state the obvious: drying it off so it isn't wet) then dust w/cornstarch and use a heavy wooden rolling pin. On a chat with Ron BenIsrael on PastryScoop, I asked him how he handled the SatinIce brand of fondant - which I find to be incredibly soft and hard to work. He uses the SS table and makes sure it is very cool.

Which brand of fondant is it that you're using?

You can add shortening to it to remoisturize it but it will not necessarily completely restore the stretch and flex you might need.

"Creme Fondant" hmm, is that for rolling out or for heating & pouring over stuff???

You need starch and glycerine, gum trag and stuff like that in it also for it to be rollable.

I'm with K8 on this one -- I'm thinking that this is pourable fondant based on the ingredient list.

Cheryl, The Sweet Side

You can add shortening to it to remoisturize it but it will not necessarily completely restore the stretch and flex you might need.

"Creme Fondant" hmm, is that for rolling out or for heating & pouring over stuff???

You need starch and glycerine, gum trag and stuff like that in it also for it to be rollable.

I'm with K8 on this one -- I'm thinking that this is pourable fondant based on the ingredient list.

So how would you make it pourable? What liquid would you add. It's very stiff. I'll try to take a picture to show everyone.

I'll also call the place I purchased it from to see what they say.

So how would you make it pourable? What liquid would you add. It's very stiff. I'll try to take a picture to show everyone.

Pourable fondant is used warm. Heat it to about 105F to 110F. Test the consistency by dipping in a spatula and letting it run off. It should form thin "sheets" as it runs off the spatula, and you should be able to see through the sheet. Too thick and it will glob on your cakes. Too thin, and it will just run right off. If at 105F, it is still too thick, add some corn syrup to the mix to thin it out. Go slow -- its one of those things where a little goes a long way.

Cheryl, The Sweet Side

Pourable fondant is used warm. Heat it to about 105F to 110F. Test the consistency by dipping in a spatula and letting it run off. It should form thin "sheets" as it runs off the spatula, and you should be able to see through the sheet. Too thick and it will glob on your cakes. Too thin, and it will just run right off. If at 105F, it is still too thick, add some corn syrup to the mix to thin it out. Go slow -- its one of those things where a little goes a long way.

Thanks for everyone's help on this. I'm going to call the baking supply place I purchased this from.

I'll try heating it up and pouring it over. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again.

• 3 months later...

I want to try to make my own fondant, mostly because it is almost impossible to get around here and also because I want to try to make my own to see if it tastes better than the one I bought.

I am planning on trying Rose Levy Beranbaum's recipe from the cake bible, does anyone have experience with it or maybe some tips for me? Thanks in advance!

I do not have experience with RLB's fondant recipe.

Here's a 'recipe' to add to your collection, maybe try some day. It's user friendly.

Let's see what have we called this stuff..umm...Candy Covering or something~~trying to get away from calling it 'fondant' because of the possible stigma attached. (thank you wilton)

One part candy clay plus two parts marshmallow fondant = Candy Covering or whatever you want to call it.

Candy clay is 14-16 oz of chocolate or candy melts or almond bark melted & add one third cup of corn syrup, slowly stir together. I let mine sit in the container that I melted it in and smooth it all level on top or it separates. Let that harden and pinch off & knead it in small portions to soften. If it does separate, just knead it all back together.

Marshmallow fondant is a 16 oz bag of marshmallows melted with two tablespoons of water and add two pounds of confectioners sugar - so put one pound of sugar in a bowl, pour in the melted marshmallows & water and any flavoring, combine and add the other pound of sugar - you will need to micro-zap this a few seconds (like 5-6 seconds) here & there to loosen it up so you can knead it all in. You can add a couple ounces of melted chocolate if you want. Very forgiving formula.

So combine 2 batches mmf with 1 batch candy clay. You can multiply & divide this recipe.

Nice stuff--the marshmallows just give you a head start on making regular fondant. It's already got the gelatin & stuff. It's a very nice tasting product. Doesn't harden & crust too fast but has enough stay & stretch to do right too. Takes flavor & color well.

I want to try to make my own fondant, mostly because it is almost impossible to get around here and also because I want to try to make my own to see if it tastes better than the one I bought.

I am planning on trying Rose Levy Beranbaum's recipe from the cake bible, does anyone have experience with it or maybe some tips for me? Thanks in advance!

Hi, Heleen! I have made the RLB fondant quite a few times, and it's very user-friendly. Do try to make it a day before using it, as she suggests, to allow it to rest. And don't roll it out too thin -- it is very stretchy. And finally, I find the the taste to be absolutely fine. Have fun!

If you are after a fondant for using in confectionary centres, heres a recipe from a candy book I have..

Approx 1 tbsp butter to grease pan

2.5 cups sugar

0.5 cup corn syrup

1.5 cups water

-Lightly butter 9 x 13 inch baking pan and dampen slightly with water

-Combine sugar syrup and water in medium saucepan over medium heat stirring ocasionally with a wooden spoon

-When sugar dissolves cover pan for 5 minutes to wash down sides of pan with steam

-After 5 minutes remove cover, clip on candy thermometer (make sure tip doesn't touch the bottom) and cook to 240 degrees

-Remove from heat and pour into the greased pan

-Lightly sprinkle water on top of fondant and cool at room temp to 125 degrees (about 40-45 min in a 72 degree kitchen)

-Place fondant on a marble slab and work with a metal scraper by folding chopping and refolding until opaque and crumbly, normally about 7-10 min.

"Alternatively, marry a good man or woman, have plenty of children, and train them to do it while you drink a glass of wine and grow a moustache." -Moby Pomerance

I love my MMF fondant -

90 g marshmallows, 1,5 tablespoon of water - melt untill liquid on water bath,

add 1 tblspoon of corn syrop (or glucose, I use homemade invert syrop) and gradually add about 900 g of icing suger.

You may add a bit of lemon juce or citric acid (at the beginning) to make it not so sweet.

Very good for covering cakes and making flowers.

This cake is covered with my MMF, the lilly is also made with it:

gallery_42184_3598_1959.jpg

For modelling add a bit of shortering.

I love to decorate cakes and you may see my cakes here: http://foto.mail.ru/mail/bonya_l/1

Wow, Lenabo, great stuff in your pictures! Your work is just stunning. You are far North of Russia?? Awesome that you are a fellow mmf user.

Hey, guess what? I'm working on a chocolate chessboard myself--what is yours made of?? Is that more mmf? It's very cool!!

Edited by K8memphis (log)

K8memphis

Sarah Phillips

:wub: Thanks a lot!

You are far North of Russia?? Awesome that you are a fellow mmf user.
Yes, far-far noth :biggrin: With long-long winters ;) (what is good for cake making ;)) and very hot summer (what is not good for cakes :raz: ).

MMF is fine! Here is hardly any ready fondand, it's nessesary to make it at home and MMF is the best! Only one bad thing - marshmellows here are available only in half pink/half white color (so when melt it is just a pale pink - see the lilly cake color) :shock:

And before I found the recipe of gelatin(e) and homemade invert syrop fondant (no corn cyrop or glucose are available) I cut every marshmellow for two parts - white and pink to make white color! :laugh: This is the replay for

I'm working on a chocolate chessboard myself--what is yours made of?? Is that more mmf?
This cake is from my beginning when I had only MMF recipe :wink:

It is easy to make a chocolate chessboard - I just made squares of wite MMF, let them dry, then made squares of modelling chocolate (chocolate+corn cyrop) and made a chessboard - put all squares on the grid sheet (soft modelling chocolate easy comes together with strong MMF) and coat with chocolate. Let it dry and turn over.

I's the way I made it a year ago but may be now I found easyer way with similar technicue ;)

I love to decorate cakes and you may see my cakes here: http://foto.mail.ru/mail/bonya_l/1

Way cool!

I just ate a bunch of my chess pieces waiting for supper...oops.

But I'm gonna (going to) make some more. I'm trying to come up with an interesting pattern to put into the squares to make the chessboard. I was thinking fleur de lis but those are one way--I need a design that will work both ways. Maybe a spiral or a squared off spiral...

Yes I noticed that you like the color pink! :laugh: You have some amazing work there, Cake-buddy.

Good idea on the construction of the chessboard. I was thinking about putting it on a checkerboard cake. I like your idea.

Haha, hi Bo! I recognized your wonderful cake picture. Did not realize you were here also! You are just such a talented decorator!

Bo makes incredible things, figures, all sorts of things and her work is perfectly amazing! And bonus, she is a wonderfully nice person too!

Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

Edited by Squirrelly Cakes (log)

Squirrelly You make me feel very embarrassed :wub:

Hi! :) I also recognized you here :), fellow decorater :)

K8memphis

Ooops, such a disaster! ;) Do you make yor chess pieces of chocolate using a special form?
fleur de lis
oh, if can understang a little bit of English, French is very far from my brains (only bonjur and orevuar ;)).
Maybe a spiral or a squared off spiral...
It would be so interesting to see the result!!!

K8memphis
Ooops, such a disaster! ;) Do you make yor chess pieces of chocolate using a special form?

My husband went to play a 'quick' round of golf after work before we went out to eat. And I got hungry and then I got sick :laugh: No such thing as a 'quick' round of golf. Yes it's just actually very inexpensive 'chocolate' or it's called 'almond bark' actually. Not even made of cocoa butter just palm kernel oil but I add a special vanilla/butter powder and it is very very good tasting. Not so good as an appetizer before dinner :rolleyes: But when I'm making a large project like this, I'm fine with 'tastes great'. I don't need the real chocolate pedigree for this adventure.

And yes, I use a mold for the pieces. But not for the board. I had a mold for the chess board but as careful as I was I could not get the little squares filled exactly perfect so my board would be nice and even and straight. It looked like I colored outside the lines badly. I'm just going to use a square cookie cutter. Spread the 'chocolate' out onto plastic and cut it out. But I want the cool effect...hmmm...like a star!! I LOVE stars!!! Oooh oooh, that's it!!!

I made an apple bavarian cheesecake this week and I cut the apples in little stars!!! I was afraid they would sink into the cheese--but all was well and they stayed on top. Stars stars stars!!! Yay!!

fleur de lis
oh, if can understang a little bit of English, French is very far from my brains (only bonjur and orevuar ;)).

Oops, umm, fleur de lis

Maybe a spiral or a squared off spiral...
It would be so interesting to see the result!!!

Yes, that is my hope actually :laugh: I hope it's going to be interesting!! I will take pictures if it turns out. So in other words, I am thinking about putting a chocolate star in the middle of each square on the chessboard. That way I can control them and they will all be uniform. Hmm, except it will be hard to cut the squares out with the star centered properly. Hmmm, still working on it. I should probably use some of the chocolate transfer stuff so I won't have to be so precise...Hmm...still stumbling through the valley of decision.

Edited by K8memphis (log)

It's a pretty straightforward recipe, Heleen. I used to make it for everything. I have to say I actually preferred the white corn syrup version to the glucose and water version because of the cost factor, and because the corn syrup is easier to handle when mixing the whole thing together.

After you've dissolved your gelatin (or agar agar in the same proportions) into the water, go ahead and nuke it 10 or 15 seconds to get it mildly hot, mix your vegetable shortening into that until dissolved, add your flavours, then dump the whole thing into your sugar. I find the fondant is much easier to mix together smoothly when the liquids are warm.

And if while you're kneading you find the fondant seems a little dry, you can just wet your hands under the faucet then continue kneading. That amount of water is usually just the right amount to add. The fondant can actually take a fair bit of extra liquid in arid weather, but may actually require a little extra powdered sugar in humid weather. But in either case both can be adjusted at the end of the process so you don't have to guess while measuring.

Edited to add: If you're not going to flavour the fondant, at least add almond extract or it just tastes like a wad of sugar. (yuk)

Edited by Sugarella (log)

K8, haha, I can relate to chess board difficulties. Being in Canada, we can never get anything until years after it is available and then well between exchange, shipping and customs it gets expensive. Anyway, I didn't have the chess board molds, couldn't find anything that was the appropriate size as a square cutter and didn't want to use a straight edge or worse, haha, one of my stained glass cutters to do the trick. I can be one of those people that can draw a crooked line with a ruler.

So I had this chocolate mold that said "thank-you" on each little square and the squares were almost the size I needed. Decided to go marble look. Hhmn, sounded like a good idea except for the fact that reversing the molds so the thank-you was upside down, made them a bit less level. And of course the squares were just a wee bit too big for the 12 inch square cake once you made it regulation size. Haha and there is only so much icing you can put on the sides of a cake. What I should have done was measured out the squares on a sheet cake and cut the cake to fit but duh, that would have been thinking...

Anyway, you never know until you try, right, haha!

At least I was thinking enough to buy a couple of sets of the chessmen molds because frankly, it is a pain to wait for each set to set up and start all over again.

I was making it for a pal but I always wondered how much I would charge for it, the regulation size chess board, the correct number and correct chessmen. Have you ever given it thought? I had several people ask about it but I couldn't think off hand what I would expect. I have seen the chessmen for as much as $75 Canuck, when made of better chocolates but even if using candy melts, they do take some time, especially if you go with marble look. I have never actually seen a price on one but was thinking about $125 to $150. What do you think? Heehee, after making one I was thinking it should be double that, haha. (Just to cover the cost of the diet I would need afterwards from eating the not so perfect little chess dudes!) Not that you can relate...

Heleen, How is the fondant coming? Sorry for highjacking your thread--got carried away. :raz:

At least I was thinking enough to buy a couple of sets of the chessmen molds because frankly, it is a pain to wait for each set to set up and start all over again.

I was making it for a pal but I always wondered how much I would charge for it, the regulation size chess board, the correct number and correct chessmen.  Have you ever given it thought?  I had several people ask about it but I couldn't think off hand what I would expect.  I have seen the chessmen for as much as $75 Canuck, when made of better chocolates but even if using candy melts, they do take some time, especially if you go with marble look. I have never actually seen a price on one but was thinking about $125 to $150.  What do you think?  Heehee, after making one I was thinking it should be double that, haha.  (Just to cover the cost of the diet I would need afterwards from eating the not so perfect little chess dudes!)  Not that you can relate...

Oh my no, I re-melt the less than perfect ones. I was eating the real deals :laugh:

Yes you have to make a minimum of 32 half pawns to get 16 good ones :rolleyes: At least I have two molds--if I was doing a production line, I would go get two more, but this is pretty cool for the moment. Yes I love marbled chocolate--but I tell you what, my last cake I did with a wrap was marbled and had a monogram. Umm, I think it kind of leaned toward scary looking somehow :shock: and I didn't have time to redo it. Oopsie. And for this chess board I'm thinking all kinds of symmetrical and perfect.

I hadn't thought about money yet. Yeah, a lot. I mean after you make one, it gets easier. Yeah, $200-$250 is not out of the question. I want to make the cake part kind of scultped. Umm, I was going to see about filling the chess pieces with something yummy like a nice truffle, raspberry maybe? And maybe I should go get a few more molds after all!

We'll see how it all pans out...

Y'know what though--we just ate out. Dessert was key lime pie or brownie with 5 different nuts in it. SEVEN Bucks. And people freak out when you price this stuff for them. Get a grip and go buy some hostess ding dongs.

The chessboard mold is a pia (pain in the boo)--I will use a square out of my graduated square cutters for the board.