• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brugal Unico

mbanu

I'm a fan of Brugal's younger rums, and was wondering if anyone has gotten ahold of this mythical "flagship rum". Anyone tried it? Is it worth persuing, or just another overpriced marketing ploy?

As I am not a big fan of Brugal rums my opinion might not help you very much.

However, I tried the Extra Viejo, Siglo de Oro und the Unico.

The Unico is more a Liquor than a rum and therefore it is very(!!!) sweet. But it still has this typical Brugal taste that you can also find in the Siglo de Oro (and a bit in the Extra Viejo).

I would suggest to first try the Siglo de Oro and if you like it and if you like sweet rums than I would give it a try.

I only tried one sip and sold the bottle afterwards. For me this "rum" was undrinkable...

Markus

I have to agree with Markus that Unico is more of a liqueur than a rum and is sweeter than many people prefer to drink, except as an after dinner liqueur, the purpose for which it is blended and bottled.

It should also be noted that Brugal has a couple of different blends of rum being sold in the Dominican Republic and the US under similar labels. And I have to say that the Dominican Republic rums are generally superior.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.