• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Network Chefs

Ron Johnson

Agree with pixel about Emeril and Rachel Ray. Her $40 a day show is inane and ridiculous-- and her laugh is really obnoxious!

I do like the new Food Hunter show with the British guy, Pete Luckett. Mostly fruits and vegetables, a little travel to faraway places, and some cute quips. The Mario in Italy show was great-- sorry that's done.

The Food Hunter show, comes from Food Network Canada. Pete Luckett I believe is based in Halifax(Nova Scotia). The other shows from Food Network Canada, currently on the Food Network are The Surreal Gourmet & The Thirsty Traveler.

---------------

Steve

As the remote clicked away this weekend - I happened upon (what I thought) was a new episode of Nigella Bites. New I thought because of the lighting and Nigella because of the production values- e.g. Soft close-ups of eggs yolks, the cooing Mmm'mmms and Ooooohs.

What greeted my eyes was the "Barefoot Contessa" - Yikes.

I had always hoped the proliferation of these "style" type shows would garner some programming of more Culinary merit. Doesn't look like I'm gonna get my wish. All in favor of more Jacques Torres Chocolate" and less stubby fingers making granola, say "I"

I actually saw a worthwhile episode of Emeril the other day -- Nobu Matsuhisa was on, promoting his cookbook, so Emeril tried to make a Japanese meal for him. It was priceless to watch him squirm in front of Nobu, who had to keep correcting Emeril's screwups, down to the point where Nobu was telling Emeril how to cook rice - I don't think I heard a single 'bam', and only one or two notches were kicked up.

"Long live democracy, free speech and the '69 Mets; all improbable, glorious miracles that I have always believed in."

Gordon, I think we've had this conversation before, in the Canada forum. I simply don't think that Stadtlander is a particularly talented chef. And sticking a bunch of pine boughs into a roasted pig and having it carried on boughs into an area of Ontario scrubland where people are sitting on stumps listening to a string quartet doesn't strike me as interesting but rather as idiotic. The organic and locally grown yada stuff doesn't interest me either. One of his associates is into biodynamic farming. That's Rudolf Steiner's Anthroposophy fer Jebus' sake. :hmmm:

Just not to my tastes. :huh:

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Gordon, I think we've had this conversation before, in the Canada forum. I simply don't think that Stadtlander is a particularly talented chef. And sticking a bunch of pine boughs into a roasted pig and having it carried on boughs into an area of Ontario scrubland where people are sitting on stumps listening to a string quartet doesn't strike me as interesting but rather as idiotic. The organic and locally grown yada stuff doesn't interest me either. One of his associates is into biodynamic farming. That's Rudolf Steiner's Anthroposophy fer Jebus' sake. :hmmm:

Just not to my tastes. :huh:

Understood, I, myself, am more of an urban than rural type guy and not much of an enviro-organic stickler. However, I have twice dined on food prepared my Mr. S and could distinguish outstanding elements and details of his cooking. The dining experience of the farm is a little "rustic" for me, but I believe that put into a setting more like Canoe or Scaramouche. He could fill those shoes comfortably.

At least, I heard that from more than one of his peers. If I make it to Eigensinn again, I'll go in overalls for sure :laugh:

I reserve giving the finger to the TV for Martha Stewart, Bobby Flake and Dubya.

We need to hear more from Skawt.

And is that IT in your avatar?

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -Ernest Hemingway

Tony B., great show. Tony should get together with Martha and

share some of that hash his was smoking in Morrocco.

David Rosengarten: Excellent show. Do more viewers really favor

"unwrapped" or the best five kinds of salt water taffee.

Donna Hanover: Rudy was right.

Keith Jerkee: go back to Gilligans island.

Rachael Ray: Cook breakfast for me in bed.

Emerill: Why don"t you and your mommy start your own network

so I can delete it from my satellite que.

Alton: He's o.k.

Flay is so in love with himself. Throw him out and

bring in Jack McDavid

Unwrapped: stupid show

Iron Chef: After 3 episodes you realize the high cost

and scarcity of fruit fly offal forces us to cancel this show

forever.

Jill Cordes: does anyone think she has any interest in food.

Marc Silver Stine: boy did this guy step in shit when he got

this gig.

Bring back Alan Richman and Nina

What's wrong with Jaqui?

I'll tell you what's wrong with her. This incredibly stupid quote of hers that's up on the foodtv web site:

"Sage advice: I am a big fan of pâté de foie gras. However, when traveling in Paris and eating in Michelin three-star restaurants be sure you understand what you are ordering. I like my pâté with cream, cognac and truffles; what I got was a gigantic piece of hot duck liver that looked as though it was still alive. There's not enough vintage Margaux in France to get me to eat that."

IMO, she should have been fired for saying that.

Born Free, Now Expensive

Sorry for coming in on this so late ... but i believe it was Tommy way back when who asked who the skinny short haired girl on Calling All Cooks is.  

I think you may be talking about Erica Miller? Shiny black hair, petite, in her late 20s? She was also on Door Knock Dinners and In Food Today a lot. If that's who you're thinking of, she opened a restaurant on 14th Street in September called Kloe.

I think you may be talking about Erica Miller?  Shiny black hair, petite, in her late 20s?  She was also on Door Knock Dinners and In Food Today a lot.  If that's who you're thinking of, she opened a restaurant on 14th Street in September called Kloe.

yes, that's her!! thanks for the info. Kloe rings a bell, but i didn't realize she was involved. thanks again! (i'll be trying Kloe for sure)

Bring back Alan Richman and Nina

They were really great and they were so different from one another. The match was inspired. If the show had a bigger budget it could have been spectacular. But alas, its no more.

Does anyone remember the wine show with Jancis Robinson and Frank Prial?

Prominent wine expert Andrea Immer had a very short-lived wine & spirits show, from around 4 years ago. I can't remember the name. They did only about 8 episodes.

-------------

Steve

I think you may be talking about "Quench" which she co-hosted with Steve Olson

Andrea Immer was on Emeril last week, the Red Wine show I believe, perhaps a repeat episode, but looking cute as ever.

SB (also likes Padma Lakshmi)

PS: And who, just to avoid any accusations of sexism, loved "Two Fat Ladies"

I still see Andrea Immer, guesting on numerous episodes of Hot off the Grill, as their wine expert.

-------------

Steve

I thought that was her - I was confused when they introduced her as Andrea Boom-Botts - the Freeg-gin Vino dame

Caprial was the most talented chef I've ever seen on TV. Where is she?

Dunno if she's the most talented chef on TV, but I did catch her last night on Discovery's new Home & Leisure channel (which I think is only available on digital cable or dish networks). Check your local listings. :wink:

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -Ernest Hemingway

Caprial is doing a co-presenter thing on PBS of something called something like "America's Best Home Cooking". The idea is to get recipes from across the U.S. on a single theme and reproduce them on the show.

Ho hum.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I'm a little late to the party on this one but I just wanted to add -

Mario - love him! Can't stand how cheesey Rooney is though. The only time I enjoyed watching R was the episode where they're going back to Mario's old restaurant and Rooney is asked to chop some mushrooms. He gets this big grin on his face, puts some English on his knife, and chops like a demon. It was nice to see him not acting like a jerk for a change.

Emeril - His older shows, without the live audience, show more real cooking and are worth a look. The live audience stuff is about entertainment, not food.

Ming - I love Ming! His ideas about fusion cooking are IMHO sound and I like it that he always closes the show with suggestions about which wines to drink with his food. He also did one episode with Iron Chef Morimoto that was amazing despite Morimoto's obvious difficulties with English.

Iron Chef - a bit campy at times but still a lot of fun. I'm amazed by what these chefs can do with food in just 60 minutes.

"A Cook's Tour" is fun too. I particularly liked the episodes in Japan and Vietnam, although I could have done without the rabbit hunting bit in Scotland.

And what happened to "The Thirsty Traveler"?

Bobby Flay - can't stand the guy. Jacki must have very low self-esteem, why else would she put up with it?

Martha - can't stand her either.

Iron Chef - a bit campy at times

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Emeril - His older shows, without the live audience, show more real cooking and are worth a look. The live audience stuff is about entertainment, not food.

If you want to see Emeril, show more real cooking(& it's without the live audience), then check out the new episodes of The Essence of Emeril. This was one of his first shows, on the Food Network. He stopped producing new episodes for several years. In the past year or so, he's done a whole new series of episodes for this series.

------------

Steve

Edited by SteveW (log)