• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Network Chefs

Ron Johnson

Did anyone see Jeremiah Towers on Julia's Cooking with Master Chefs series last night? 3 chicken methods, including stuffing pureed and chopped bacon, fresh herbs, underneath the skin, then wrapping in cheese cloth and poaching.

Liza, I saw that a few years ago. He was so tall and Julia was already leaning on the counter so much. I think the Rick Bayliss episode was one of my favourites because of how he interacted with her while doing his thing. (I find him a bit hysteric and high-pitched on his own One Plate series.)

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I'm a little burned out on FoodTV. I enjoy cooking and have become disappointed with all the "celebrity" status of TV chefs.

For my money, "America's Test Kitchen" on PBS has valuable content. Some may argue with the personalities but Cooks Illustrated has been called the Consumer Reports of cooking. I tend to agree.

I like knowing WHY things work the way they do. That's bankable information.

--------------

Bob Bowen

aka Huevos del Toro

I recently surfed accross the cable and onto a Food show. There was something about the host that struck me as familiar. Then it hit me, it was Keith Floyd of the Floyd on France/Floyd on Fish series. I love that guy! He was just as raspy and "In the host's face" as I recalled from his PBS days. Of course I never found the show again...

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

It's too easy to get burned out on FoodTV. There are too many reruns. I think I've seen every episode at least once except for the Rachel Ray(?) shows and Sara's Secrets. Neither one has held my interest. I don't think I've watched a full half hour on FoodTV in over two months. The last time I got hooked on any of the shows was the Jacques Torres Chocolate series.

I like the Caprial shows. She's still doing new shows for the Discovery network although they also play her old stuff. There are some with her husband, but they're almost too lovey-dovey and it detracts from the cooking. Her/Their recipes are easy, flavourful and work for me.

I recently surfed accross the cable and onto a Food show.  There was something about the host that struck me as familiar.  Then it hit me, it was Keith Floyd of the Floyd on France/Floyd on Fish series.  I love that guy!  He was just as raspy and "In the host's face" as I recalled from his PBS days.  Of course I never found the show again...

Credit where it's due. I regard him as something of an innovator as far as UK food TV is concerned. He was the first to break down the tremendously wooden kitchen-demonstration format, engage with the people around him on- and off-camera, leave the mistakes in the final cut, and add some spontaneous humor. Bit of an oddball, I gather, but refreshing in his day.

On second thoughts, I suppose he made Jamie "Tongue Implant" Oliver possible :sad:

The Frugal Gourmet (Jeff Smith) wasn't a great cook, but his historical backgrounds were fascinating. Where is he? (certainly a little staff fondling shoudn't make him disappear forever)

Caprial was the most talented chef I've ever seen on TV. Where is she?

Jeff Smith still lives in the Seattle area. I see him frequently at Pike Place Market, and I've seen him at our Asian megamarket Uwajimaya (buying a bunch of kimonos!!). He seems to walk and stand perfectly well, but charges through Pike Place Market in a battery-powered wheelchair, barking at people to get out of the way (it's usually wall-to-wall crowded in there). He's more than a little nuts. The charges against him, BTW, were a lot more serious than a little staff fondling.

As for Caprial, I only saw one episode of her second show, and it stunk worse than Emeril. Didn't think it was possible. I believe she owns a restaurant in Portland, OR.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

I also see Jeff Smith at the Pike Place Market sometimes (in his battery op wheel chair), I thought maybe he has a condo down there or something.

I've always liked Caprial Pence. I haven't seen any of her new shows, but I liked the old ones. Her site is Click here if anyone is interested.

Credit where it's due.  I regard him as something of an innovator as far as UK food TV is concerned.  He was the first to break down the tremendously wooden kitchen-demonstration format, engage with the people around him on- and off-camera, leave the mistakes in the final cut, and add some spontaneous humor.  Bit of an oddball, I gather, but refreshing in his day.

so tell me that jamie and alton don't make you laugh? giggle a little? credit where it's due?

Tommy - I certainly laugh when Jamie is on. Alton leaves me cold - I don't know why, and it's clear that some people I respect admire him, not to mention yourself. As far as the UK goes, Floyd was just the first to do a lot of interesting things with a food show.

Yvonne - I agree, and I was going to give floyd credit for that too, but to be fair I think Graham Kerr was the first to make a big fuss about getting pissed while cooking on British TV. Johnny Craddock (who you are too young to remember) would get pissed on TV surreptitiously.*

*Don't worry, Fat Bloke Esq, he's brown bread.

[snip] but to be fair I think Graham Kerr was the first to make a big fuss about getting pissed while cooking on British TV

AARGH!! Graham Kerr and his obsession with yogurt cheese!!

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

We've watched a few of Alton Brown's shows, and, as consort says, we learn some interesting things, but I find Brown's manner overbearing. He's too much in one's face. I'd take Rosengarten any day over AB.

Being as young as I am, Wilfrid, it must have been re-runs of the Fanny Craddock show I saw. Yes, I do remember them. Haddock, anyone, to go with that brown bread?

There was an older gentleman (French surname) who was on PBS for years. His show was produced by some Florida University ( in Pensacola, I think). He was actually very knowledgeable, but had no timing.

He would always need to rush or skip some details to fit the half-hour format. When he turned profile he "was the biggest thing on television" to borrow an old "Honeymooner" line. I think he had an 83" waist.

Does anyone recall his name and if he's still on television?

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

I think that's all they wore - they were never shot below the waist.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

[snip] but to be fair I think Graham Kerr was the first to make a big fuss about getting pissed while cooking on British TV

AARGH!! Graham Kerr and his obsession with yogurt cheese!!

There are two distinct phases of Graham Kerr; the jolly, adding more wine to his glass than the recipe Kerr (I remember an episode where he tore around the set, wineglass in hand, jumping over chairs and such. He finally came to a stop at the counter, smiled, and peeled a sheet of plastic wrap from the top of the glass, and commented "I may be silly but I'm no fool!"). Almost made it worth skipping school... :hmmm: Then there is the more recent health and fat obsessed Kerr who is so wrapped up in measuring fat and calories that you can feel the "May not taste good but boy is this sucker healthy" waftums radiating right off the TV screen. Personally I liked the tipsy Galloper better.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

There was an older gentleman (French surname) who was on PBS for years. His show was produced by some Florida University ( in Pensacola, I think). He was actually very knowledgeable, but had no timing.

Do you mean the Cajun guy? I don't remember his name, but he wore jeans andsuspenders. Oh wait, he was Justin Wilson. I couldn't watch him much. He used so much salt it made me sick.

rich posted on Jul 3 2002, 07:34 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pierre Franey? I never watched the show, but a friend's university roommate used to tape his shows regularly and watch the shows over and over.

Rhea - no it wasn't Franey (he died a couple of years ago while teaching classes on a cruise ship). This man's name began with a "P" I think. Something like Peynoud or something similar.

Rich Schulhoff

Rhea - no it wasn't Franey (he died a couple of years ago while teaching classes on a cruise ship). This man's name began with a "P" I think. Something like Peynoud or something similar.

I think you might mean Paul Prudhomme.

Kathy

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

I watch Jaaayyymeee sometimes. I liked the one with the haplessly misguided Abba-dressing Mates O' Jamie's, and they asked him do you like Abba, and he said something like, "Yeah, but I never felt the need to DRESS like 'em." Don't remember what he cooked, though, hmmm.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter