• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Network Chefs

Ron Johnson

Yes, this thread has been done.

EDIT by JHP: Yes, and I've merged it into this one.

--crap, someone beat me to it, missed that.

I miss David Rosengarten and the Two Fat Ladies.

I, too, miss Clarissa and Jennifer, z"l. They were a couple of righteous old broads whose passion for food was lusty and contageous.

David Rosengarten's personality is abrading. I always thought him to be more dicty and rigid than Martha Stewart. I don't think I was ever tempted to prepare anything I saw him make.

Aidan

"Ess! Ess! It's a mitzvah!"

For those that like Jamie Oliver, do you actually make any of his stuff? He seems like a likeable guy, but all those fish and cheese cassroles? Eeew.

Every recipe I've tried from Jamie's cookbooks (I have all three) has been delicious. They work.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

For those that like Jamie Oliver, do you actually make any of his stuff? He seems like a likeable guy, but all those fish and cheese cassroles?  Eeew.

Every recipe I've tried from Jamie's cookbooks (I have all three) has been delicious. They work.

I concur. Also, I can safely say that a LOT of English kids of my generation were introduced to good, basic cooking through his books, including me and my 2 younger brothers. I don't see what can be so bad about that.

He can be a bit daft at times though.

Edited by VeryApe77 (log)

Sara Moulton, the call in format gives me the same feeling as when I'm cooking.

And Padma, oh, my Padma....

Alton!

That show where the Iron chefs were in the suburban home tops my list as an all time great episode.

Food 911 was pretty cool, too.

Mario irritates me, "Yeah dude, nice facts, but I ain't in ANY region of italy!"

Currently, I guess I like "slice of life" type cooking shows so I have been taping "Oliver's Twist" every week, and watch The Barefoot Contessa occasionally. I like the documentary style of Jamie and his mates, the unslick kind of show where he throws something together and the camera work isn't the best. He's fun to watch except his bed-head hair bothers me. For the same reason I like the Contessa as it's her meeting friends, going out into the garden to get herbs and so forth. I get tired of strictly-focused-on-cooking shows EXCEPT for Julia and Jacques. They have the best banter and I've learned alot from them, especially like their differing methods and Julia's cute, snide remarks. However I can't seen to find this on PBS anymore :sad:

I do like to watch Rick Bayless now and again, but he's a tad too manic for a regular watching.

I wouldn't mind Emeril, just Emeril, but he's on for hours and hours and I hate the studio audience. What a mess that becomes...panning in on the cute chick over and over, listening to the audience go ooh and aah.

Watching Martha the few times I have was painful. She is so serious and grim. Her guests seem nervous around her.

The new season of a cook's tour is amazing. bourdain is the man, but you all already knew that (and if you don't, you should. if you have a sense of humor and aren't all prim, go read any of his books. if you are all prim and proper, then go read Typhoid Mary, his urban historical that's actually really good and tones down the fucking gratuitous expletives) I just wanted to vote for my least favorite food network people--dweezil and lisa. why does their show exist? who came up with this? the idea alone is so bad that i thought the actual show might be unintentionally hilarious, but it's just boring. sorta like lisa's one whiny hit song, or dweezil's half-hearted hanging off of the coattails of his father.

Thats all I can think of now.

Any of the IRON CHEFs are my favorites on Food Network.

I just love the IRON CHEFs.

Even my license plate says, "IRN CHEF".

-drew

www.drewvogel.com

"Now I'll tell you what, there's never been a baby born, at least never one come into the Firehouse, who won't stop fussing if you stick a cherry in its face." -- Jack McDavid, Jack's Firehouse restaurant

Yes, this thread has been done.

EDIT by JHP: Yes, and I've merged it into this one.

--crap, someone beat me to it, missed that.

I miss David Rosengarten and the Two Fat Ladies.

I, too, miss Clarissa and Jennifer, z"l. They were a couple of righteous old broads whose passion for food was lusty and contageous.

David Rosengarten's personality is abrading. I always thought him to be more dicty and rigid than Martha Stewart. I don't think I was ever tempted to prepare anything I saw him make.

Clarissa is doing some acting lately. Mom said she turned up in AB-FAB recently. I was so sad when Jennifer died. Those two were such a brilliant team.

http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0225735/

Edited by Pickles (log)

• 1 year later...

I've been watching food TV for a while and as you probably know chefs have come and gone on that network. I love to hear who you believe is the best and the worst and who you like and least like on that network.

For me the person I've like the most is Bourdain. However, I believe the best chef is morimoto. I like bourdain because he tells it like it is. Yes he can be mellow dramatic on the show. Morimoto for me is self explainatory if you watch the iron chef or eat at his restaurant.

As for the least liked, I wish they would take Emeril off the the prime time spot. Never had a decent meal at any of his restaurants (for the price paid that is) and haven't learned much of substance or got entertained on his show. I actually liked his early 30 minute shows better. But the person I think may be the worst chef is Bobby F.

For some reason, Alton Brown has appealed to me ever since I started watching the FN several years ago. I guess he appeals to my quirky side. Most of the big name chefs, except for maybe Emeril, seem to be more than competent and I look up to them highly. Bobby Flay seems like a douche but I can't vouch for that because I haven't met him. I even respect Rachel Ray for encouraging people to get out there and cook in their under-used and unorganized kitchens. As for the chefs that are on during the middle of the day, like that kind of attractive Italian one, the French guy on How To Boil Water, etc, I don't know much about them so I can't really judge. Although, they are clearly a couple levels below the big boys.

Way Beyond the scope of the question, but here's my take on FN.

That Sandra Lee Lady that does Foul Stuff under the guise of Semi-Home-made. Ewww!

Rachel EVOO Ray is barely tolerable; Her 30 minute Meals should really be called Semi-Home-made; if I hear her say, "I don't bake" one more time before she assembles a Sandra-Lee like dessert concoction, I am gonna puke!

Paula Country-Cookin-Makes-You-Goodlookin' Deen; that horrid laugh..ugh! The greasy food...Abominable!

Emeril Pork-Fat-Rules LaGasse. His day show appeals somewhat, BUT the Vegas-Style night show should be "BAM-ed" from the network.

Alton Genius-Self-Deprecating Brown. Need I say more. Love the hands Alton.

Sara Oh-Dear Moulton; just hit the snooze button pronto - if you are not lulled into some semi-conscious state byt that eerie little high-pitched voice, she's A-OK!

Tyler Always-Looks-Loaded Hamilton. No, not Hamilton, Florence. But really, why does that guy always look like he's under the influence. Really. When I can hear what he is sayin, love him. BTW, please get rid of that horrible girl from HTBW, I could do a way better job!

Giada, Giada, Giada, You should be on a Crest commercial and not in the kichen. Oh and BTW, did you know that she enhances her boobs with chicken cutlets..LOL..and here I was being jealous. Anyway, of all the chefs on the Network, I try your recipes the most...mmmm, melts in your mouth(in case you don't know she always says this and closes her eyes and as if in a semi-orgasmic state...lol)!

The Barefoot Contessa. Ina, you rock! I like you and your l'il husband when he appears. Your recipes are right neck-and-neck with Giada's in my kitchen. You make me feel like I can actually learn to cook. But that laugh has gotta go! Guys, have ever heard her laugh? You wil die laughing, trust me!

Mario Molto Mucho Batali. Mucho EVERYTHING! Head, Belly, Hands, and....his knowledge of Italian food and its origins. A true history lesson everytime!

OMG...Michael Carmelization Chiarella. Love, Love, Love Him, if only to watch his hands...YUM(SHould have said this about Alton too, minus the YUM...lol)! BTW, he uses that word carmelization just way too often, so now when I watch, its more about counting how many times he says the word and not about the food.

Ahh...almost forgot Most-Obnoxious-"Awardee" - Bobby Flay! Just not feelin' the guy, especially when is on ICA. Speaking of....

Iron Chef Japan - one word, Gangsta. Love it. Iron Chef America has a ways to go, don't ya think? Especially Alton and Kevin's floor commentary. Anyway, I learn a lot from both shows

Those healthy people - Jorge Cruz, George Stella - I just they would be more charismatic; I have to actually suffer through Georgey Beady Eyes' delivery just to learn that cream is good on low carb. I say, "Hey dude, what about my arteries!". In the very next segment, this very morning, Jorge low-fat, no-fat Cruz says "no cream!"...so, who's right?

The Surreal Gourmet guy just creeps me out but I like his creativity with using tropical ingredients to liven up his dishes.

The pastry people I don't watch too much..and even less of the 30 minute commercials like Unwrapped and FoodFinds. The show "Recipe for Success" that explores buisness development should be expanded to an hour.

Edited by Cala Massey (log)

Cala Massey wrote: Tyler Always-Looks-Loaded Hamilton. Really, why does that guy always look like he's under the influence. Really. When I can hear what he is sayin, love him. BTW, please get rid of that horrible girl from HTBW, I could do a way better job!

Is this Tyler Florence you're referring too? I kinda like him, he's cute but I like his go for' the best of' attitude. Yea..we do that here too.

Edited to admit not being able to do quotes correctly..yet. and to add that the 'cool factor' award in my humble opinion goes to the guy with the trailer kitchen. I've only caught the show a couple of times, but he's edgy and simple at the same time. ..and he might be the guy someone was telling me about who used his dishwasher to cook fish. I'll bet that kind of multi tasking makes alton brown happy!

Edited by highchef (log)

Tyler Always-Looks-Loaded Hamilton. Really, why does that guy always look like he's under the influence. Really. When I can hear what he is sayin, love him. BTW, please get rid of that horrible girl from HTBW, I could do a way better job!

Is this Tyler Florence you're referring too? I kinda like him, he's cute but I like his go for' the best of' attitude. Yea..we do that here too.

Yeah I meant Florence and edited. Thx.

I don't watch as much as I used to but I like most of them, even Bobby Flay. My favorites are Alton Brown, Mario Batali, Ina Garten, Sara Moulton, Paula Deen and Michael Chiarella. Next would be Emeril and Bobby Flay. On Emeril's prime time show, he doesn't really cook anymore, but the 30 min. show is great. I can't take Giada's sometimes fake accent, and laugh at Tyler Florence because he does look a little bloated, but his creamy tomato soup kicks ass. (Rachel, Rachel, Rachel. Why do people hate you so much. I don't. I think you're annoying, (EVOO) but I like you anyway. I like the $40 show, but never watch 30 min. meals.)

Juan (not Jorge) Cruz (take an acting class) and George Stella. I should only be watching them. All the others have gotten me into too much trouble.

Edited by emmapeel (log)

Emma Peel