• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Network Chefs

Ron Johnson

Maybe I missed it, but I don't see any mention of Everyday Italian with Giada De Laurentiis.

Very nice recipes. Clearly the easiest on the eyes of any of the women on FoodTV (just my opninion) and knows how to romance the food.

Am I the only one?

(There's a fair bit on the other thread Here)

Is she related to Dino - the film director/producer? Or is this a somewhat common Intalian/Roman name?

Gary

Edited by garcher (log)

• 3 weeks later...

I think most foodies watch this network and most of their personalities are good.

However, some seem to draw criticism. Tell us your favorites and if you have an opinion on the pricks (if any).

My fave= Tyler Florence: unpretentious, interesting topics, and a hell of a chef.

Prick= Bobby Flay: enough said.

Martinis don't come from vodka and bacon don't come from turkeys!

Oh lord, I've seen a thread much like this before. I predict Flay's gonna filleted, Dean's gonna get creamed, and Bourdain will be ordained.

Me? I like Jamie Oliver, the aformentioned Bourdain, and Sara Moulton. Alton Brown, too.

Though I tend to like their food, the nervous laughs of Ina Garten and Rachael Ray drive me barking mad.

My fantasy? Easy -- the Simpsons versus the Flanders on Hell's Kitchen.

Favorite (current): Alton Brown. And I love the show.

Favorite (retired): The Two Fat Lady's (RIP). Even though they are not Food Network personalities, they were on the network and should have honarary status. Heck, I could not find their show on foodtv.com.

Cannot Watch: Gordon Elliot, something about him. Although I love the concept to the show Follow that Food.

Emeril makes me squirm. Flay makes my skin crawl, sometimes. But I cannot stand, have no time for, and truly despise Martha "f@(k-me-running" Stewart. The sanctimonious, almost sneering, condescending way she treats her "guests" on the air just tears me apart. How the hell did this snooty broad get to where she is?

On a side note, I really liked the True Hollywood Story they did about her last year. I delighted in the fact that they made mention of her age about 50 times throughout the show. I think she's something like 92 years old...

I like Alton Brown, but the more recent shows are better. My wife got me the DVD set, and you can really tell how uncomfortable he was during the first shows. It's much better now.

frappin typos. I probably still missed some, but what the hell...

Edited by FistFullaRoux (log)
Screw it. It's a Butterball.

Love: Ina Garten

Hate: Sandra Lee

Ditto.

Ina is nothing short of an inspiration for me, she entertains the way I want to... she makes people feel comfortable and pampered. It's quite the opposite of the "clenched-jaw politesse" of Martha stewart (as the Slate article so aptly put it.)

Oh and, unlike so many FTV personalities, she ain't afraid of a good cocktail... :wacko:

The funny thing is, in the broadest possible sense, Ina and Sandra Lee are doing the same thing... semi homemade cooking. Ina does some items from scratch, and picks up some readymade from a store. Difference is, Ina's getting excellent olives, breads, pastries, and arranging them, whereas Sandra is buying mass-marketed, preserved food products and giving them a dollop of processed whipped topping.

The difference is, Ina's thinking "I'll shower them with the best I can find, even if I didn't make it myself" (she also does a lot of dishes that require little/no cooking by nature... composed salads, antipasti, cheeseplatters). Sandra Lee throws together fake foods and says "my guests won't notice the difference."

"Give me 8 hours, 3 people, wine, conversation and natural ingredients and I'll give you one of the best nights in your life. Outside of this forum - there would be no takers."- Wine_Dad, egullet.org

Love:    Ina Garten

Hate:    Sandra Lee

Ditto.

The funny thing is, in the broadest possible sense, Ina and Sandra Lee are doing the same thing... semi homemade cooking. Ina does some items from scratch, and picks up some readymade from a store. Difference is, Ina's getting excellent olives, breads, pastries, and arranging them, whereas Sandra is buying mass-marketed, preserved food products and giving them a dollop of processed whipped topping.

Right on!

Side note: I actually managed to FORGET EMERIL when I made my list. Finally! A corner of the universe he hasn't encroached upon! (the crowd cheers)

My fantasy? Easy -- the Simpsons versus the Flanders on Hell's Kitchen.

Hands-down favorite is AB.

Two-way tie for last between Mark Somers (sp?) and Bobby Rivers. Each of them makes me want to throw the tv out the window.

"All humans are out of their f*cking minds -- every single one of them."

-- Albert Ellis

My absolute favorite is Tyler Florence. I also like Sara Moulton, and I liked David Rosengarten. I feel these three are more for real, rather than ego-tripping, wannabe superstars. Jamie Oliver is another one I like, and the Two Fat Ladies were great!

Alton Brown gets on my nerves. He may know his stuff, but I can't get past his incessant grating silliness.

Sandra Lee is an obvious loser and so insignificant, she's not even worth discussing. She gives food a bad name.

Emeril is loud and obnoxious.

Dweezil and Lisa are a really bad joke.

I don't like Mario at all, he's much too pompous and in love with himself.

The Unwrapped show and the other one about low-end food products/production are both wastes of time.

Overall, I'm really disappointed and disgusted with the Food Network.

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

He may know his stuff, but I can't get past his incessant grating silliness.

Don't fear, things can change with time and therapy. My wife said this about me for the first fifteen years of marriage, but she seems to have finally gotten past it.

Of course, she may really be thinking this and is just too worn out to tell me:

Overall, I'm really disappointed and disgusted

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

He may know his stuff, but I can't get past his incessant grating silliness.

Don't fear, things can change with time and therapy. My wife said this about me for the first fifteen years of marriage, but she seems to have finally gotten past it.

Of course, she may really be thinking this and is just too worn out to tell me:

Overall, I'm really disappointed and disgusted

You are soooo funny. Thanks for the laugh!

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

My favorite: Let me add my vote for the two ABs - Brown, and Bourdain. Also, now that I've seen his Kitchen series where he helps the kids - Jamie Oliver.

Least favorites: first off, I think everyone should get Sandra Lee, Flay and Lagasse as a given - sort of like how in Wheel Of Fortune they automatically give you RSTLN and E.

And please mark me down as voting for Gordon Elliot and Al Roker. Two giant wastes of time who are neither qualified to host food shows. Oh, and add Jacqui Malouf too.

Edited by ellencho (log)

Believe me, I tied my shoes once, and it was an overrated experience - King Jaffe Joffer, ruler of Zamunda