• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Network Chefs

Ron Johnson

So 'ACT' is short for A Cook's Tour(posted before I saw Jinmyo's reply). Isn't Iron Chef still in production, not as a regular series, but a series of special editions each year?

---------------------

Steve

Edited by SteveW (log)

So 'ACT' is short for A Cook's Tour(posted before I saw Jinmyo's reply). Isn't Iron Chef still in production, not as a regular series, but a series of special editions each year?

---------------------

Steve

They have a backlog of the first several years of Iron Chef before Morimoto replaced Michiba as Iron Chef Japanese. The current season on I beleive is the 1st or 2nd season.

So there will be new ones but they will be OLD new ones, newly translated into English.

They did do 1 or 2 specials with the original Iron Chefs specificially for Food TV but I don't know if any more are planned.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Are there any plans on an Iron Chef in the US? Who would you pick to be Iron Chefs? Would you have an IC U.S., French, and Italian (being probably the biggest food styles in this country) or would you go regional? I.C. Southern, etc.

There actually was an abortive attempt by UPN to create Iron Chef USA with William Shatner in the role of Chairman Kaga (their first and probably greatest mistake). The cooking in the one episode I saw (Kerry Simon vs. Todd English) was actually very interesting, but virtually all other aspects were atrocious. Only two episodes were filmed, then the whole project withered on the vine.

Iron Chef USA

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

I've just got to comment on that piece of crap Stadlander. He is the most arrogant, know it all, self-grandizing piece of Euro-trash ever to sneak inside my TV screen. However the people that I really can't  understand are the assholes who pay $150.00 a head to sit in the mud and eat the shit he creates. Hang on I think he's from Ontario. No need to explain.

Go back to your trailer. How astonishing that you were completely ignored (except by me, who found you too repulsive to restrain myself) for your immature, troll-like comments.

I myself harbour not the least trace of kindness towards Herr Stadtlander. Earlier in this very thread, a page or two past, GordonCooks (not his real name) and I briefly discuss the show. Gordon has had a positive experience.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I've just got to comment on that piece of crap Stadlander

Can someone please refresh my memory? Who is Stadlander?

FM

http://www.foodtv.ca/tv/hosts/hostdetails/.../host_34560.asp

He and his restaurant, Eigensinn Farm were voted NINTH best restaurant in the world, by British magazine Restaurant.

He may be arrogant, but he's one incredible chef.

I caught the most recent James Bond flick today. Has anyone else noticed that Pearce Brosnan, in gaunt middle age, has come greatly to resemble eGullet Special Guest A. Bourdain?

Edit: "Pearce" is not a verb.

Edited by ahr (log)

"To Serve Man"

-- Favorite Twilight Zone cookbook

It was mentioned recently in another eGullet thread, that ex-TVFN host David Rosengarten does a food/restaurant segment for Channel 5(Fox New York). For which show(I'm guessing part of a news program), & does it have a set schedule when it airs(it seems to air on Fridays)? He did a segment on the Otto pizzeria, 2 days ago. Previous Friday(Jan 10), was it him, covering about the Old Homestead Kobe burger? I can watch the NYC television stations, through satellite television. Are there any other food/restaurant segments airing on local NYC television?

----------------

Steve

Sara's other show was called Cooking Live Primetime. It was meant to be more relaxed, more involved with cooking - no phone calls or e-mails. A lot more chefs were able to visit, as it was recorded live at 10PM. Poor Sara would actually tape Cooking Live, wrap at 8, go home for dinner, and come back around 9:30 for CLPT.

Re: Iron Chef. FN owns the concept now and has more episodes coming down the pike. But yes, they are all 'old' episodes as FujiTV is not taping any new ones. Hopefully, we'll get to see Yutaka Ishinabe, the original Iron Chef French and Koumei Nakamura, the second Iron Chef Japanese - after Michiba-san.

I agree with the general consensus here, but will come to the defense of Gordon Elliot, who I think is hilarious... But mostly just want to register how much I DESPISE "The Best of.." which is inevitably the show that's on at the one moment all week when I get a chance to tune in to the food network.

I have only seen Sara Moulton's "Sara's Secrets" which I think is abominable. She talks down too much. Also, I cannot respect anyone who used mayonaisse (sp?) frequently.

Love Molto Mario.

Rachel Ray's 30 minute meal show is a brain fart. But, I can appreciate the fact that she is trying to demystify cooking for the novices. I know people have been talking about $40 a day show and how you should pay more...all she does is go to the tourist spots. Totally annoying show.

I saw the Barefoot Contessa recently. I really like her. I wouldn't try must of her recipes, but she seems to be a natural.

The only reason to watch the Paula show is to see glimpses of her black lab.

Edited by nerissa (log)

• 2 months later...
I've just got to comment on that piece of crap Stadlander. He is the most arrogant, know it all, self-grandizing piece of Euro-trash ever to sneak inside my TV screen. However the people that I really can't  understand are the assholes who pay $150.00 a head to sit in the mud and eat the shit he creates. Hang on I think he's from Ontario. No need to explain.

Go back to your trailer. How astonishing that you were completely ignored (except by me, who found you too repulsive to restrain myself) for your immature, troll-like comments.

I agree, Pixelchef. Perhaps James Barbar/Urban Peasent is more his/her type of guy. I was one of those a*o that paid to dine 'in the mud' and it was wonderful. It takes 3 months to get a reservation.

BTW Coop what is wrong with Europeans and Ontarians?

"I taught Julia Child how to suck head and pinch tail."

Emeril, New Orleans Easter Episode, on eating Crawfish.

That was a low moment on a show with many of them.

Every time Emeril says he's going to "Julie-anne" something it makes me want to throw things at the TV.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

• 8 months later...
Is anyone here familiar with Nick Stellino, and his show, Cucina Amore?  :wub:  I don't see it that much anymore; I don't even know if new ones are being taped.  It's on PBS, though, and definitely my favorite cooking show.  One of Nick's books was my first cookbook purchase!

Amy

Nick is a little over the top, but I love his shows. Sometimes he comes off as an Italian charicature I think. He's actually based here in Seattle I believe. I'm a little embarassed to to admit it, but one of the first time I saw his show, I spent a few hours trying to figure out where "his restaurant" that he regularly refers to in the show was. Turns out no such place exists! :shock: What the point of the reference is, I'm not sure.

Does anyone here know the real story on the parting of ways between Nick Stellino & the Cucina Amore program? Apparently it was very nasty. When Nick was making a promotional appearance here in Montreal several years ago, he casually mentioned it, without getting into details.

-Steve

what is so horrible about oliver's show?  it's energetic and fun.  hardly qualities to hate.

it's that hair, my god i'm sick of the hair. He always looks like he needs a shower.Don't get me wrong i like his show, but that restaurant this with 15 down and outer's I mean what did he expect. Did he do any research. It seems like a complete set-up to me. Why would anyone invest that much money into a loosing proposition. He didn't that's the point. How many times have I seen the reruns already. It wouldn't have been much of a show without the screw-ups. I hate shows that treat me like i'm stupid. and that's what his restaurant show did. His other's are ok

what is so horrible about oliver's show?  it's energetic and fun.  hardly qualities to hate.

it's that hair, my god i'm sick of the hair. He always looks like he needs a shower.Don't get me wrong i like his show, but that restaurant this with 15 down and outer's I mean what did he expect. Did he do any research. It seems like a complete set-up to me. Why would anyone invest that much money into a loosing proposition. He didn't that's the point. How many times have I seen the reruns already. It wouldn't have been much of a show without the screw-ups. I hate shows that treat me like i'm stupid. and that's what his restaurant show did. His other's are ok

Isn't it possible that he knew exactly what he was getting into in hiring that crew and had the balls to do it anyway?

Some of them worked out, which is a victory.

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

Why would anyone invest that much money into a loosing proposition. He didn't that's the point.

He did.

If you run through our old UK forum posts you'll find much material with links on articles on his mortgaging his house and so on.

He really did take the risk.

His current project involves trying to improve the food for kids in schools.

Ol' Fat-Tongue he may be, but...

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Maybe I missed it, but I don't see any mention of Everyday Italian with Giada De Laurentiis.

Very nice recipes. Clearly the easiest on the eyes of any of the women on FoodTV (just my opninion) and knows how to romance the food.

Am I the only one?

(There's a fair bit on the other thread Here)

Edited by bobdavis (log)

I hear what's her name Water's from chez pannise in california is doing the same thing. Kuddos to both of them. Would be nice to have the cash flow to change the statis quo. I'm jealous.

Alice.

• 2 weeks later...