• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Network Chefs

Ron Johnson

I guess i need to toss in my 2 cents in here, how about the show Unrapped. I find it informative but geez, is that guy a child molester? He gets on my nerves .....

I actually like watching Bourdain and mario most of all. As for Sara she reminds me of a whiner....eeewwww. I did like Emeril until he put on the clown outfit.

john

JTL

Is a Member of PETA..."People Eating Tasty Animals"

Would Iron Chef be as good as it is if the translations were exact? Does anyone know how far the real words are from the "American" script?

this has been the subject of, well, not enough discussion. there are too many specifically american turns of phrase for any sort of "exact" translation. posters have pointed me (us) to resources on the web, but i still have yet to come up with some sort of answer as to how they make that stuff flow so seemlessly, and so naturally.

FTV has seen it necessary to replace old-school foodies with pseudo neo "chefs" who's only claim to foodie training is a 2 weekend class at the local culinary school. These same folks have also spent several weekends in media training courses at wherever. Most shows there are hosted by ex-tv people and not foodies. You see, FTV is now in the same genre as ESPN, yet more aligned toward EFPN (entertainment and food programming network) than the simple, informative, interesting format of even 3 years ago.

After assuming the original ownership's debt, FTV deem necessary a change to the entire format consisting of something wanting to lose the core viewership built up over several years, replacing that with a broader minded, generic audience easily impressed by someone who can read cue cards and explain her family history all the while promoting convienience foods and agro-business. I stopped watching when they 'retired' cooking live, but that may not have been to everyone's taste, either. Each show has a specific audience and carefully chosen time slot attempting to enable it to get the maximum rating for the minimum of cost.

I can't stand Alton Brown's show because there are so many obvious attempts of commercial intent that I find it an insult. 1)Constant, yet amateuristic camera movement leaving one sea-sick and thinking of how "Blair Witch Project" did it better --and first. I can't see clearly if I have to tilt my head 90 degrees to see what's going on. And this goes on for the entire show. It's not 'cutting edge.' 2)Constant implication of that salt container with an obvious intent of pushing it commercially. 3)The man is obviously an actor first, not a great one I might add, and a foodie second. 4)Was "Taste" really that bad for them to sweep it under the "Good Eats" carpet? 4)FTV just plainly went moronic.

How many schedule changes and self-promotions does this network make per week? They have a good thing, but have zero idea on food.

It's all about $$$. Of course, that's what the american way is all about, I guess. I went from 24/7 viewing to nil viewing.

Thanks Jin.  What a pity.  :sad:    I think the execs at FNTV are not very in tune with what people want to watch on that channel.  To cancel a show like ACT and keep the other crap on there defies logic.

Blue, it wasn't really cancelled as it was a special limited series in the first place.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

After assuming the original ownership's debt, FTV deem necessary a change to the entire format consisting of something wanting to lose the core viewership built up over several years, replacing that with a broader minded, generic audience easily impressed by someone who can read cue cards and explain her family history all the while promoting convienience foods and agro-business.  I stopped watching when they 'retired' cooking live, but that may not have been to everyone's taste, either.  Each show has a specific audience and carefully chosen time slot attempting to enable it to get the maximum rating for the minimum of cost.

Just to point out that this is what all television networks do - try to grow their audience; try to raise advertising rates; try to program shows in order to reach the largest audience; and yes, try to earn money.

In a year when many television networks laid off many workers (Viacom comes to mind) or replaced a lot of people (A&E comes to mind), Scripps - the company that owns Food Network - kept to their no-lay-off policy; raised ratings; and made money.

And to their credit--FN DID, in fact, air every episode of Cooks Tour--with very minimal requested edits. The infamous"pig episode" to air again on Dec. 6th. (did you really expect--or want--to see the actual stabbing and fisting?) We just finished shooting four new episodes: Saint Martin, Rio, Salvador(Bahia), and New Orleans--with more to come(?).

abourdain

And to their credit--FN DID, in fact, air every episode of Cooks Tour--with very minimal requested edits. The  infamous"pig episode"  to air again on Dec. 6th. (did you really expect--or want--to see the actual stabbing and fisting?) We just finished shooting four new episodes: Saint Martin, Rio, Salvador(Bahia), and New Orleans--with more to come(?).

Hope your New Orleans episode is better than Emeril's.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

Oh, that's great news, Tony B. Except for Mario's stuff, it's the best thing on TV.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Oh come on Jinmyo. Mario is a briliant chef, but that Rooney guy he walks around with is an imbecile. Plus Tony looks way cooler on camera, in that "I'm smoking and drinking way too much, and I really dont give a crap" kind of way.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Jason, I can put up with Rooney. The guy's a real chef and teaches culinary arts in Atlanta. He's just not funny. But Mario going gonzo with red-faced enthusiasm is funny.

Tony's funny. I mean, calling this or that dish "terrifying" is great. But it's hyperbole.

Mario's hyper.

That's why my dream show would be Mario and Tony farting around, getting drunk, and cooking. Whether in Manhatten or Madagascar.

And to their credit--FN DID, in fact, air every episode of Cooks Tour--with very minimal requested edits. The  infamous"pig episode"  to air again on Dec. 6th. (did you really expect--or want--to see the actual stabbing and fisting?) We just finished shooting four new episodes: Saint Martin, Rio, Salvador(Bahia), and New Orleans--with more to come(?).

You're absolutely right... don't want to see *that* part .

Glad to hear 4 new episodes are on the way... keep 'em coming...

... Scripps  - the company that owns Food Network - kept to their no-lay-off policy; raised ratings; and made money.

So did Fox. We could discuss the quality of their shows, but that's another argument. 'The Simpsons' is ok.

FTV knew it had a good thing, and sold itself out for a profit to Scripps who was able to endure the original FTV creditor's demands. I think if the original ownership of FTV was able to endure the demands from the creditors, we wouldn't be watching more of '$40 (US) a Day' and 'Food Finds,' but more of 'Taste' and 'Chef du Jour' and 'Melting Pot' and --not that I watch those shows, anyway.

Edited by dave88 (log)

And to their credit--FN DID, in fact, air every episode of Cooks Tour--with very minimal requested edits. The  infamous"pig episode"  to air again on Dec. 6th. (did you really expect--or want--to see the actual stabbing and fisting?) We just finished shooting four new episodes: Saint Martin, Rio, Salvador(Bahia), and New Orleans--with more to come(?).

That is so cool.I love ACT.

Keep the episodes coming.

I'm from Japan,so I usually enjoy the ones shot in Japan the most.

Karina, welcome. I was most interested in the Japan episodes as well.

FTV knew it had a good thing, and sold itself out for a profit to Scripps who was able to endure the original FTV creditor's demands.  I think if the original ownership of FTV was able to endure the demands from the creditors, we wouldn't be watching more of '$40 (US) a Day' and 'Food Finds,'  but more of 'Taste' and 'Chef du Jour' and 'Melting Pot' and --not that I watch those shows, anyway.

You are making an assumption that Belo, who previously owned FN but was not the original owner, would be content with a .3 rating. Since Scripps bought FN, the average ratings is above a .6 and it was listed by TV Guide as one of the top ten cable networks of the year. I can't think that by those standards, they're doing anything wrong, especially as you admit you don't watch it. They've given us "A Cook's Tour" and for that, we should all be grateful.

FTV knew it had a good thing, and sold itself out for a profit to Scripps who was able to endure the original FTV creditor's demands.  I think if the original ownership of FTV was able to endure the demands from the creditors, we wouldn't be watching more of '$40 (US) a Day' and 'Food Finds,'  but more of 'Taste' and 'Chef du Jour' and 'Melting Pot' and --not that I watch those shows, anyway.

You are making an assumption that Belo, who previously owned FN but was not the original owner, would be content with a .3 rating. Since Scripps bought FN, the average ratings is above a .6 and it was listed by TV Guide as one of the top ten cable networks of the year. I can't think that by those standards, they're doing anything wrong, especially as you admit you don't watch it. They've given us "A Cook's Tour" and for that, we should all be grateful.

Even though some new shows are complete crap and there is WAY too much of the ewok on FTV. They have done a pretty good job considering the sheer volume of ideas that are pitched their way. Imagine having to sort through all the "food hunter" and "$40 a day"shows to get to one "My country, My kitchen" or "ACT".

Even that Ruth Reichle show was watchable. I used to be a full on critic of FTV but I've just learned to live and let live. Some shows are not going to be good and we just have to deal with it. There is no question that back in the day when we WERE the .3 rating things were a little more in line with our tastes. But now there are millions who watch to see Emeril or Booby and we just have to get what we can from the small percentage of really good shows.

You are absolutely correct that we should all be grateful.

"An idealist is one who, on noticing that a rose smells better than a cabbage, concludes that it will also make better soup." - H. L. Mencken

Pete Luckett: after watching him for only a few minutes, makes me want to kill everyone from Nottingham? I don't know. I just saw his show for the first time (the Mexican episode where he seeks out papayas and acts more Gringo in public than any British person ever could) and I feel like committing an act of random violence.

shoponline_pic.jpg

I realize he is supposed to be some kind of produce expert and has a pretty big business in Canada (http://www.petesfrootique.com) but what the hell is TVFN thinking?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Oh come on Jinmyo. Mario is a briliant chef, but that Rooney guy he walks around with is an imbecile. Plus Tony looks way cooler on camera, in that "I'm smoking and drinking way too much, and I really dont give a crap" kind of way.

Rooney is a tool. Rachel and I can't stand him either. Still, I find the show entertaining, since it gives me an opportunity to see all sorts of different regional cusines of Italy.

Did you catch the episode of Molto Mario where Tony was one of the three folks at the counter?

(The man from scene 24 as your avatar?)

Edited by Skawt (log)

Did you catch the episode of Molto Mario where Tony was one of the three folks at the counter?

I saw that one and started thinking how fun it would be if Food Network paired up a bunch of chefs and put them in the kitchen together. Here are my unlikely pairings. I've refrained from putting my own comments in parenthesis...

Rachel Ray and Anthony Bourdain doing 30 minute meals in Rachel's Kitchen.

Martha Stewart and Bobby Flay in Martha's kitchen

Alton Brown and Mario Battali in Mario's kitchen

Nigella Lawson and Tyler Florence in the Iron Chef stadium

I don't love The Food Hunter. Iv'e never seen the show and Ive' been using the trade name "thefoodhunter" since 1996 for my food brokerage business.I own thefoodhunter.com domain name and my e-mail address has been thefoodhunter since 1996 too. If the Food Network had any money, I guess I could consider a suit. But I know they don't.