• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Italian Restaurants

bpsklar

I'll put in a good word for Ravello's on Eagle Rock in East Hanover, the owners formerly ran Libretti's in Orange. Most entrees run $15-20 for dinner, fish is often very good.  Noise level is high on the weekends.

And, Luigi's on  Ridgedale in East Hanover center. Nice place, unpretentious. Entrees in the $15 range. Good, solid, Italian cooking.

I'm trying to put together a small group of friends to visit An American Place on NJ 10 west in Randolph. Several people have spoken very highly of it, and I'd like to try it.

Sette Bello in Morristown (corner of Speedwell and High) is also very nice, but a significant notch upward in price from Ravello's. Figure $40 a head for dinner, plus wine and tip.

Soprano tie-in: Italianissmo in West Caldwell. Tony had lunch there last season. This year, he buys a gift (bird cage) from the pet store adjacent to the restaurant. Maybe somebody's singing like a canary? Maybe he wants to send a message?

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

>yes I heard Sonoma Grill is not good anymore since

can anyone confirm this?<

No I can't.

Three and a half stars from the Bergen Record in a recent review.  A Chef who has as big a heart and is as great a guy as he is a cook.

You may have heard otherwise but you know the adage:

Have a good dining experience, tell two people.

Have a bad dining experience, tell ten :smile:

I've worked with or know the cooking of most of the high end chefs in Bergen County.  Believe me, Pete Angelakos has got the goods.

Try it for yourself.

Rail Paul, We have always enjoyed An American Grill. The owner/chef Lou Reda reads eGullet so be sure to let him know who you are.

I haven't been to Sonoma Grill with the new owners but I thank ngatti for his posting. Can you tell us something about the menu?

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

I haven't been to Sonoma Grill with the new owners but I thank ngatti for his posting. Can you tell us something about the menu?

Rosie, I called Peter Angelakos (chef/owner) and asked him to fax me a copy of his menu.  I also asked him to define the focus of his cooking since he and his brother Stavros came aboard as partners.

I'll post to a new topic so we don't stray.

Thanx for asking

Nick

From a more southerly perspective over by the shore I'd have to go with Bella Luna in Belmar, Il Picolo Forno in Long Branch and Buona Sera in Red Bank.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Here are 2 more options: low key, inexpensive and like walking into Mama's kitchen best describes the experience: In Ridgewood: pasta y pollo (Godwin Ave./the other side of the Rail Road Tracks!) and in North Haledon (and i sure hope it is still there --I've not been back since before the holidays) Tip of the Boot!

"When women are depressed, they either eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. It's a whole different way of thinking."

- Elaine Boosler