• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Italian Restaurants

bpsklar

There are so many Italian restaurants in the northern NJ area, that it is hard to choose a good one. Some of the best have dropped in their quality. We are looking for excellent food, home-made pastas and fine service. What are your choices? :confused:

"down" good or "down" bad?

i liked it my one time there.  i appreciate good, honest, family run places, even if the owners is a bit a of a lunatic!  the one thing i recall, however, is a salmon sashimi dish that was just overpowered with a sauce.  but i'm a purist when it comes to sashimi.

Not down on Cingue Figlie at all. Just forgot to list it. Was there recently for lunch. Sooooooo  good. Had a raw tuna app with salad. Friend had the calamari. They grill it perfectly. Then we shared a pasta.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

I assume you mean it's really far away from where you've since moved to? Because Cinque Figlie only moved a couple of miles, Cedar Knolls is right next door to Morristown.

it's all relative.  i've never heard of cedar knolls, so to me, it's in PA.

I mentioned it before in a previous thread, but "Cafe Italiano" on Sylvan Ave. in Englewood Cliffs is actually a really good italian-american restaurant. Its situated in the former summer home of 1920's NY Mayor Jimmy Walker.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Corso 98 has the best fish I have tried so far in NJ Italian and is very fairly priced.

I am hoping to find more like this as the quality of Corso's fish is excellent and averages only 20 for a nice portion.

:smile: Have you tried Cafe Riviera on Sussex Turnpiike in Randolph. Food good, atmosphere not great, serve very good. Very friendly place. Italian run by Albanians (seems to be happening a lot)

New here, but been eating in and around Essex County NJ my whole life.  Some of my Italian favorites are:  Solano's in Orange.  Belle Italia, Orange.  Piccolo Italia, Orange.  Libretti's, Orange.  Cafe Arugala, South Orange.  I have eaten at Bella Rosa once and had a very nice dinner, so while not a favorite, would reccomend it.

Yield to Temptation, It may never come your way again.

--Lazarus Long