• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Terrine Topic

MatthewB

I finally have a blog post about the making of that pheasant pâté en croûte online. All in all, I made a lot of mistakes, but I think it was worth it. Terrines are far easier, though, and great to do sous-vide (with vacuum bagging, you don't need to press the terrine).http://mundschenk.at/pate-en-croute-de-faisan/(The blog is in German, but the pictures should speak for themselves.)

My German is far from being enough to translate, but Google did a reasonable good job. Good enough that I really think I'llbe able to try this. Thanks...looks fabulous!

Beaver pate en croute:

attachicon.gifbeaver pate.jpg

The pastry was not one of my best; I think the flour was old and I had to add too much water to make it workable. Also, my only pate mold is a nonstick, and I've never gotten the sides to brown as well as I feel they should, in both a commercial and a home oven. Would an ordinary tinned steel mold make a difference?

I've ever eaten beaver...never even occurred to me!...what sort of taste & texture is it? And where does one source it?

• Like 1

I finally have a blog post about the making of that pheasant pâté en croûte online. All in all, I made a lot of mistakes, but I think it was worth it. Terrines are far easier, though, and great to do sous-vide (with vacuum bagging, you don't need to press the terrine).http://mundschenk.at/pate-en-croute-de-faisan/(The blog is in German, but the pictures should speak for themselves.)

My German is far from being enough to translate, but Google did a reasonable good job. Good enough that I really think I'llbe able to try this. Thanks...looks fabulous!

Thanks! Be sure to let me know how it turns out. If you are not sure about some ingredients or preparation steps, feel free to ask me. Unfortunately, multilingual WP blogs are kinda hard to set up, otherwise I'd translate the recipes at least.

^ Consider greasing the mold with butter and cook at a higher temp (425F) for the first 40-60 minutes, rotating half-way through. Then lower the

Thank you. I've had it at 425 for the first 20 minutes or so. I'll try it for longer. Do you have overcooking issues cooking it so hot, or does the crust keep the temperature inside it more moderate?

I've ever eaten beaver...never even occurred to me!...what sort of taste & texture is it? And where does one source it?

It reminds me of very rich beef. There is little marbling but quite a bit of fat on the outside of the meat. It is deep red. I get it from a friend who traps in the winter. I typically cook the backstrap hot, fast, and rare and braise the hind quarter. I have smoked it before the braise as well.

This really opened my eyes to the possibilities of game pâtés. You avoid the textural problems you can sometimes run into with game, smooth the flavor (which for some people can be too intense), and turn it into a ready-to-eat form that can serve considerably more people than many other methods of cooking. And people think it's cool.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I need some advice for a lump crab meat terrine. I make a dish where i pile lump crab meat ontop a beef filet. The problem is the crab meat usually just falls off when cutting into the filet. I thought of making a terrine to add some structure, but i dont know what would be the best approach. I dont want to stray away from the main ingredient being crab, and i dont want this to be served cold either. I though of just folding egg whites into the lump crab pressing it into a mold and sous vide, but not sure the best approach and time/temp to use? I dont want it rubbery or too stiff.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Fish pie.

Swordfish, scallops and shrimp in savory pastry with pickles.

Diced, coarse and finely ground seafood with celery, onion, mushroom and leek matignon cooked in butter, bound with chowder and seasoned with white pepper and thyme. Pickled cauliflower, onions, peppers, mushroom and shrimp.

11409138164_0df8a2d676_z.jpg

• Like 2

Fish pie.

Swordfish, scallops and shrimp in savory pastry with pickles.

Diced, coarse and finely ground seafood with celery, onion, mushroom and leek matignon cooked in butter, bound with chowder and seasoned with white pepper and thyme. Pickled cauliflower, onions, peppers, mushroom and shrimp.

11409138164_0df8a2d676_z.jpg

It looks delicious.

Did you participate in the Pâté en Croûte Championship this year? I read that Anthony Bourdain (who was knighted to the brotherhood) and Daniel Boulud attended the event.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Those are beautiful!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

These containers (380ml, about 13.4 imperial ounces or 0.67 UK pints / 2.7 gills) were three-for-a-dollar at the local 24-hour 100yen store.

2014-07-30%2020.07.25.jpg

The obvious thing seemed to be to buy a bunch of them and use them as oven-to-freezer-to-fridge-to-tableware for some proper French-style pate.  So that's what I did:  I made a batch of pork sausage meat and some lamb sausages at the same time:

2014-08-01%2021.02.32.jpg

Belly & liver minced @ 10mm; about 2/5 reserved for garnish, the rest then minced again at 3/16":

2014-08-01%2021.02.48.jpg

2014-08-01%2021.41.31.jpg

2014-08-01%2021.55.26.jpg

2014-08-01%2022.14.40.jpg

2014-08-01%2023.30.08.jpg

2014-08-02%2002.01.14.jpg

2014-08-02%2002.01.32.jpg

2014-08-02%2011.31.09.jpg

2014-08-02%2011.44.27.jpg

2014-08-02%2012.44.37.jpg

2014-08-02%2012.44.50.jpg

For 1.42kg of meat, I used 1/4tsp quatre epices,1tsp black pepper, 3 cloves of garlic and 9g salt.  Otherwise per Jane Grigson's recipe for Pate de Foie / Liver Pate in Charcuterie and French Pork Cookery.  I made the QE a classic one, 3g each nutmeg, cloves and cinnamon, and 25g pepper (half black, half white, like a good aubergine).

Does anyone want to know what the end product is like?

Edited by Blether (log)
  • Like 6

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.