• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Terrine Topic

MatthewB

Personally I think SV is greatly overused these days. There is something to be said about the skill involved in doing a pate the classical way. Plus all tge safety issues that have ben raised in this thread as well

It's a way of cooking that has its uses, nothing more, nothing less. If it's better than the traditional way or produces a result that I like more, I'll use it; if not, I won't.

Sticking steadfastly to tradition has never been something I've particularly understood nor desired to do in my cooking or elsewhere. As you say, it is a personal preference.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

Chicken galantine. Amish chicken bathed in Madeira and brandy. A garnish of the breasts, Jamón Ibérico, confit gizzards, fatback and green peppercorns. Wrapped in its skin, then in cheesecloth. Gently poached, traditionally, in court-bouillion. Lemon zest and dhania coriander seasoning.

7798930856_f848f8614f_z.jpg

Gin-soaked currant and toasted Marcona almond pâté. Some heart, corned tongue, smoked deckle and thyme all up in there. Currants and slivered almonds along the top.

7805391102_d2e8fffe7b_z.jpg

• Like 1

aefd9451-e8f4-6003.jpg

Lake supeior whitefish with lemon parsley and caper. It got knocked off the heart during service while out was poaching I think that made it a, little grainy. Could have used more salt also, first fish mousseline though

Edited by boondocker (log)

• 3 weeks later...

Pigeon, Gin-Soaked Currant and Toasted Almond Pâté en Croûte: Special Longshot Dark-Meat Horse Edition. Submission to qualify for the 2012 World Pâté Croûte Championship in Tain l’Hermitage, France.

No dove, no love

7973624814_c192d382a7_c.jpg

Pastry feathers and almonds; juniper berries and culeb peppercorns as currants.

7973624396_2bdcff4a8d_c.jpg

7973623376_2423fa4827_c.jpg

7984441199_2007c1bc9f_c.jpg

Pigeon breast, liver farce à gratin, gizzards, almonds, currants, fatback, whathaveyou.

7984424279_5bf334eb56_c.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Pâté en croûte de Faisan and Terrine de chevreuil et canard:

1 - Pastete ganz.jpg

2 - Pastete aufgeschnitten.jpg

The terrine was made sous-vide while the pâté was cooked conventionally (too a core temperature a tad to high, I'd say, but all my recipe books were very conservative in that regard). The pâté includes dried figs stewed in port, as well as pistachios. Both were made with curing salt.

For the (campagne-style coarse grind) terrine I included some beef as a filler meat, but no lard, which left it not as unctuous as it ought to have been. A small amount of veal was included in addition to the pheasant meat in the pâté. The crust was made with suet (which I should have chopped more finely). Both tasted quite nice, though.

maybe some other nut? for some reason I just cant stand them. but they appear often in terrines so someone thinks this adds something. and mortadella, etc. fortunately there are versions of The Mort w/o a fav. here

but your stuff really does look stunning!

The aforeposted pictures and a detailed recipe were assessed by the Pâté Croûte committee and was deemed up to snuff by Le President des Tocques Blanches (Christophe Marguin), securing me a place among the 12 finalists. I am the first (and so far only) American (though I am also a French citizen) to have qualified for the competition (the 4th edition) and will have the undesirable handicap of having traveled the farthest with 3 pâtés and accoutrements stowed at the mercy of baggage handlers on both sides of the Atlantic. I will compete (on behalf of Bryan Voltaggio's Range restaurant in Friendship Heights, Washington DC) against chefs from tiny kitchens and 7 Michelin star rated brigades then be judged by MOF’s and experts in the craft. Thank you to Egullet and its members for allowing me a venue to show my work.

Highlights from the past competitions:

CMPC 2009

CMPC 2010

2.0 Special Cocoa Edition:

8156040298_4acd451974_c.jpg

8156009537_29754cd8cb_c.jpg

8156041968_f97902efed_c.jpg

• Like 1

except for the posstaccios :blink: ,

Yum!

You don't like pistachios? I'm tempted to say "but they are the best part", but that's not quite true. I do think they add a nice textural element, though.

maybe some other nut? for some reason I just cant stand them. but they appear often in terrines so someone thinks this adds something. and mortadella, etc. fortunately there are versions of The Mort w/o a fav. here

I love to use pistachios also, but my chef is allergic to tree nuts so 95% of the time I have to substitute to get that textural feel. whole or slightly crushed pumpkin seeds seem to work the best. Coarse ground pumpkin seeds tend to meld into the pate too much and sunflower seeds are a little too small also, perhaps roasted and used sparingly with confeed gizzards and hearts they would work well though.

The aforeposted pictures and a detailed recipe were assessed by the Pâté Croûte committee and was deemed up to snuff by Le President des Tocques Blanches (Christophe Marguin), securing me a place among the 12 finalists. I am the first (and so far only) American (though I am also a French citizen) to have qualified for the competition (the 4th edition) and will have the undesirable handicap of having traveled the farthest with 3 pâtés and accoutrements stowed at the mercy of baggage handlers on both sides of the Atlantic. I will compete (on behalf of Bryan Voltaggio's Range restaurant in Friendship Heights, Washington DC) against chefs from tiny kitchens and 7 Michelin star rated brigades then be judged by MOF’s and experts in the craft. Thank you to Egullet and its members for allowing me a venue to show my work.

Congratulations Baron! Good luck, I look forward to hearing about the competition.

except for the posstaccios :blink: ,

Yum!

You don't like pistachios? I'm tempted to say "but they are the best part", but that's not quite true. I do think they add a nice textural element, though.

I love to use pistachios also, but my chef is allergic to tree nuts so 95% of the time I have to substitute to get that textural feel. whole or slightly crushed pumpkin seeds seem to work the best. Coarse ground pumpkin seeds tend to meld into the pate too much and sunflower seeds are a little too small also, perhaps roasted and used sparingly with confeed gizzards and hearts they would work well though.

With pistachios, I think it's not just the textural element, but also the color. Sunflower seeds or even other nuts simply won't stand out the same way. Pumpkin should work in that regard, though. Personally, I would not crush them for use in a terrine or pâté.

Agreed nothing contrasts as nicely as pistachio. green peppercorns are too dark. died cherries work nicely in that regard if the pate is light enough, but with lots of liver in tge pate its usually too red for that. I find that whole pumpkin seeds have a habit of finding their way to the outside of the forcemeat leading to undesirable slices with the seed falling out though.