• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Terrine Topic

MatthewB

Great thread guys! Moby, now I see where all of the fabulous terrines I've been seeing on your flickr site have been posted!!

Three questions, thus far (as I am looking for a terrine mold):

1. If you line the terrine mold with cabbage or some other leafy green, then you need not use plastic wrap, right? Or, do you butter/oil the terrine mold?

2. Any advantages of unhingeable v. iron/enameled over the other?

3. When doing an exclusively cold aspic terrine (like the asparagus one shown above), (a) how does one ensure that the aspic actually encases the filling, and (b) how does one cut through the terrine without it tearing, collapsing, etc. What kind of knife? Should I warm the knife? Should I put the terrine mold in warm water before unmolding?

Thanks guys! Hopefully, I'll be buying and making my own terrine soon!!

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

1. If aspic, you won't need plastic. Otherwise it helps you get the thing out at the end, cabbage or no.

2. Unhingeable good for pate en croute (in pastry). The other is good for all other types.

3. here's the best aspic terrine I've ever come across. Girardet's rabbit and foie. He lines the terrine with leek.

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

1. If aspic, you won't need plastic. Otherwise it helps you get the thing out at the end, cabbage or no.

2. Unhingeable good for pate en croute (in pastry). The other is good for all other types.

3. here's the best aspic terrine I've ever come across. Girardet's rabbit and foie. He lines the terrine with leek.

Thanks, Moby.

Just to clarify - even if I'm using a cabbage/leafy green wrapping, I should use plastic - right?

As for the question on the unhingeable v. regular terrines, I guess I should have been more specific: Is there a difference in cooking times/methods since the unhingeable is metal and the other kinds are cast iron/ceramic?

Thanks!

u.e.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

Yes, you want to use plastic wrap. Not only will it help you when removing the terrine from the mold, but when you are doing your final assembly before cooking you can press down slightly on the plastic-wrapped farce to ensure that the meat is evenly distributed into the corners of the mold.

I use a hinged mold and I can say that cooking times will vary for each individual terrine, there is no set time for the type of mold you are using. Just one of those things you have to stay on top of. Remember, low and slow.

You can sometimes have problems with product distribution in aspic terrrines, due to the effect of gravity on the internal product before the aspic sets. Sometimes you'll see terrines that are "bottom heavy" (it happens with headcheese also). The easiest way to solve this is to make sure that you are using a good amount of product so there is no place for it to settle. When you are ready to cut, you may need to run the mold under some warm water to release it, but many times it will come out quite happily on its own. Use a nice sharp slicing knife with long, even strokes (don't "saw" it) and you'll get a good even slice. If any of the garnish pops out, it's easy to put it back in and nobody will be the wiser.

Once again a terrible pic in terrible light.

But it's xmas time which means dinners which means terrines. This is a foie and confit terrine, with lightly pickled vegetables. The sauce is the reduced liquid from the confit process.

gallery_8259_153_367772.jpg

Edited by MobyP (log)

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

Moby...that's a really nice looking terrine. I love the reduction sauce. At the restaurant I work at, I made a Duck Galantine (using chicken skin, duck skin is too fatty). With the leftover duck bones and chicken meat I made an amazing Duck/chicken consomme, let it gel, then served cubes of it with the galantine slices. It's all about total utilization.

Moby...that's a really nice looking terrine.  I love the reduction sauce.  At the restaurant I work at, I made a Duck Galantine (using chicken skin, duck skin is too fatty).  With the leftover duck bones and chicken meat I made an amazing Duck/chicken consomme, let it gel, then served cubes of it with the galantine slices.  It's all about total utilization.

I'd love to see a picture of that, if you had time. Do you had any calfs foot or pig's trotter for gelatine, or just allow the light reduction to take care of itself?

p.s. I don't know if you saw this galantine upthread, with the problem you speak of.

Edited by MobyP (log)

Flickr Food

Moby..The consomme gets reduced by about a third and then I pour it onto a half sheetpan with a silpat. When it's cool I use a plastic knife and cut cubes. I wish I had thought to take pictures, maybe next time. It looked like a standard galantine, with a duck breast inlay and duck farce studded with balsamic onion and diced apple. The only thing I will do differently next time is cold smoke it for a bit after it is cooled, I still am not completely fond of plain, cold chicken skin. Your duck terrine looks excellent (awesome pistachio crust!) but you do have the thick fat outer layer I was talking about. Try it with Chicken skin next time and make the stock afterwards, you'll have a great soup to go with a killer galantine.

• 9 months later...

My classmate and I just made a rabbit and chicken terrine, which also has some roasted peppers and macerated fruit.

I could really use some suggestions for presentation and ANY POSSIBLE SAUCE or accompaniment that you think might help this dish improve.

All suggestions GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks.

-Mark-

---------------------------------------------------------

"If you don't want to use butter, add cream."

Julia Child

Not an expert, by any stretch of the imagination, but I do eat a lot of rabbit and I would go with something containing apples and/or calvados and/or tarragon and/or capers possibly layering with boudin noir all of which goes well with rabbit.

"It's true I crept the boards in my youth, but I never had it in my blood, and that's what so essential isn't it? The theatrical zeal in the veins. Alas, I have little more than vintage wine and memories." - Montague Withnail.

Mark,

Try an orange chutney with a hint of ginger-just going on flavor combinations with what you have in the terrine. Because of the sweetness of the peppers and fruit a little bit of bitterness and spice in the chutney would be a nice counter balance.

I'm assuming it's dried macerated fruits; apricots, raisins, in that neighborhood.

Patrick Sheerin

• 1 month later...

Bump again!

Just read this thread through, fantastic education for me, thanks you all. I think this way of preparing meats and offal has almost limitless possibilities. What I have seen here is a very far cry from the "mock chicken loaf with green olives and macaroni" I remember seeing at the grocery store as a kid. I did not grow up in France.

So, at the risk of riling up the haute cuisine traditionalists and the culinary Luddites out there . . . why not replace the bain marie with a sous vide approach. I could image a vacuum bag of delicious flavours coming together over time, and then maybe rolled into a crust or something. A well-evacuated bag would transfer lots of pressure to the cooking mixture, even afterward as it cools.

Just a thought.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

• 3 weeks later...

Terrine of pork and veal flavored with vin de noix and a little brandy. I made this to snack on while cooking for thanksgiving last week. The definition is made of soaked cranberries, pistachios and strips of veal. I wrapped this one with blanched leeks.

BTW, Peter the sous vide idea is good, but not exactly new. Many traditional emulsified sausages (a terrine is more or less that) are cooked by gentle poaching. A galantine or ballotine comes to mind as does mortadella.

gallery_5404_2234_317303.jpg

gallery_5404_2234_432005.jpg

gallery_5404_2234_440623.jpg

gallery_5404_2234_250032.jpg

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

BTW, Peter the sous vide idea is good, but not exactly new. Many traditional emulsified sausages (a terrine is more or less that) are cooked by gentle poaching. A galantine or ballotine comes to mind as does mortadella.

When it comes to food, I'll take good over new any day.

There aren't many truly new ideas in the kitchen, I don't think. New ingredients are rare; show me a plant or animal nobody has tried to eat! That leaves equipment and technique. Electricity, plastics, refrigeration, lasers . . . thats what leads to a food revolution.

I feel a new thread coming on . . .

BTW FoodMan, your pork and veal terrine looks delicious. I love the cross section, with leek on the outside.

I made this duck liver pate last week:

gallery_42214_4635_74494.jpg

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

• 10 months later...
Bump again!

Just read this thread through, fantastic education for me, thanks you all. I think this way of preparing meats and offal has almost limitless possibilities. What I have seen here is a very far cry from the "mock chicken loaf with green olives and macaroni" I remember seeing at the grocery store as a kid. I did not grow up in France.

So, at the risk of riling up the haute cuisine traditionalists and the culinary Luddites out there . . . why not replace the bain marie with a sous vide approach. I could image a vacuum bag of delicious flavours coming together over time, and then maybe rolled into a crust or something. A well-evacuated bag would transfer lots of pressure to the cooking mixture, even afterward as it cools.

Just a thought.

My understanding is that the Troisgros boys first started using sous vide (I mean that they were literally the first non-industrial commercial kitchen to use it) as a way of controlling fat loss from their foie terrines.

Flickr Food

That looks really great. I'm trying to do the same thing today (althoguh I still haven't got a stupid mold) except with a torchon of foie down the middle.

Flickr Food

This is my first post, so please forgive my newbie'ness. I am hoping to start my first really tasty gelatinous stock to make terrine's. Is there any degree of measurement of "reducement"? Or is it just by taste, as in, -however much I would flavor an X amount of liquid with?? I have a very good source in Houston of many different bones and am very familiar with breakdown of animals, just need a little nudging. And, if anyone in Houston or near there needs help with any sourcing I can help with, let me know!

Take a spoon full of the stock, place on small plate, put plate in fridge. After several minutes, when cold, examine to see if stock has begun to gel or if it's still just thin and runny.

Add experience plus gelatinous things to your stocks like pig trotters and you'll get there in no time.

Flickr Food

This worked out well, although the tube of foie collapsed slightly in the cooking. It enabled me to add a game bird gelee (pigeon, grouse, partridge, woodcock) which was great.

2976947421_5ff8abdcdb.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3034/297694..._5ff8abdcdb.jpg

ETA: again adapted Culnary Bears gibier farce (posted above somewhere), substituting some chx livers for pigeon and a little foie. Also I approximated a quatre epice with some nutmeg, cloves and a little ginger.

Also his pastry recipe:

pastry :

570g bread flour

45g milk powder

7g baking powder

15g salt

100g lard (I used duck fat)

75g butter

2 eggs

tbsp vinegar

250g milk

Put dry ingredients in food processor, blitz, add fats, blitz to rub in, add eggs and vinegar, blitz for a few seconds to combine. Add milk slowly until dough forms - you may need a little more.

Roll out pastry to 4mm thick and line terrine. Line with backfat. Fill with mix, fold fatback over, place pastry rectangle on top and tuck in. Eggwash and cut vents.

Cook in 150C oven for an hour and fifteen minutes. If you're using a probe, it should be about 72C internally.

Edited by MobyP (log)

Flickr Food