• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver Steak Houses

Says $99 in the States, $119 in Vancouver. Shouldn't that be the other way around....?

Not necessarily. Their costs might well be higher in Canada. And maybe their market is willing to pay more here. If not, prices will come down.

A meal in a restaurant is not a like a car or electronics - made elsewhere and sold all over the world. Or let's hope it isn't.

Edited by barolo (log)

Cheers,

Anne

Seems to take a while for pricing to catch up with reality!

But what about the quality of the food?  Anyone tried it?

I went to Morton's during the summer. The quality of the food was good, but don't think you'll be getting "Morton-size portions" for that price. The shrimp, as always, is amazing, the filet was smaller than normal, as were the sides, but still, it was more than enough to fill a hungry tummy.

That being said, I will never go back to Morton's. We arrived right on time for our reservation, were seated and someone immediately came and took our order. Our appetizer arrived 10 minutes later, before our wine had been served. Before we could finish the appies, the mains arrived and so on and so forth. We were in and out in just over an hour. I wonder if that had anything to do with ordering the Special.....anyways, it was a real turn-off. Next time, Gothom gets my reservation.

Anybody who believes that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach flunked geography.

~ Robert Byrne

• 2 months later...

Went to Shore Club for lunch - very nice space - obviously alot of money was spent. Most of the lunch crowd was packed into the bar area - a little tight but had a nice clubby feel.

Had 16oz bone in rib eye - nicely done with a good crust. However - its $40 a la cart. Add fries and green beans and a drink and you are sailing north of $60 bucks.

Here's the weirdness - the shoe string fries looked beautiful - very crisp outside, fluffy inside. However - they tasted completely of vinegar - like a bag of salt and vinegar chips. I was told that they are the house marinated vinegar fries - but I'd never heard of that before. Not sure if they are my kind of thing - is this the latest offering in steakhouse dining?