• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver Steak Houses

As a reformed vegetarian and of the past several years a "pescepouletatarian" I really have no clue as to the best spot in Vancouver to re-ignite my desire for a slab-o-beef.

Any suggestions? :wink:

As a disclaimer, I've had steak au poivre (sp?) at Le Crocodile in December and, as much as I love the place, in all honesty, it didn't do it for me. :sad:

Where's the beef?

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

As a reformed vegetarian and of the past several years a "pescepouletatarian"  I really have no clue as to the best spot in Vancouver to re-ignite my desire for a slab-o-beef.

Any suggestions?  :wink:

As a disclaimer, I've had steak au poivre (sp?) at Le Crocodile in December and, as much as I love the place, in all honesty, it didn't do it for me.   :sad:

Where's the beef?

Here are some of the better steaks in town:

Canadian AAA/Certified Angus Beef

1. Hy's Encore (begin with martinis, Caesar salad and cheese toast; admire portraits of dead waiters on walls.)

2. Hamilton Street Grill (end with world famous, house signature lemon meringue pie) :biggrin:

3. Smoking Dog (order rib chop, on the bone, with sauce Bordelaise)

4. Earls. That's right.

5. Le Gavroche. Entrecote for two carved at the table.

6. Cioppino's. Steak Fiorentina. Ditto. Take money.

US Prime

1. Gotham

2. Morton's

There are other pretenders but this should give you a start. Full report please.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

Um, Jamie.

Thanks for the nod in the beef dept. but the dessert they beat down the door for is the Gingerbread Pudding. :hmmm:

Are you quite sure, Neil? :biggrin: Must be my dreadful memory acting up again.

But did you know that--immediately following the intake of a largish steak--the enzymes in the caramelized beef trigger a craving in men for lemon pie? This is an absolutely true, scientifically corroborated fact, however it's important that the pie not be too sweet.

Of course the intake of a largish steak induces another craving in men too--sleep.

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

As a reformed vegetarian and of the past several years a "pescepouletatarian"  I really have no clue as to the best spot in Vancouver to re-ignite my desire for a slab-o-beef.

Any suggestions?  :wink:

As a disclaimer, I've had steak au poivre (sp?) at Le Crocodile in December and, as much as I love the place, in all honesty, it didn't do it for me.  :sad:

Where's the beef?

Steak au poivre didn't do it for us at Le Crocodile either. Always prefer their lamb.

Last time we tried (a few months ago), the blackened creo steak at Cactus Club on Broadway (close to Cambie) was first class. Also like the Porterhouse at Ey's Encore.

Word up on the Hanger Steak if you have'nt had it. It is a well excercised muscle so it has a great - how do I say this - red flavour. It is very meaty tasting and has a great chew (in a good way). But it may not be for you if want a milder cut. I personally like NY Strip.

As mentioned before HSG does have a mind blowing hanger steak. It was my first time trying the cut and I thought it would be closer to flank steak - but it was much much better. Plus the bonus of that the gingerbread pudding....

Maybe Neil could put all in a blender and we could all have the HSG experience in cup form. It would certaintly be better than those *$ frapp craps.

Maybe Neil could put all in a blender and we could all have the HSG experience in cup form.  It would certaintly be better than those *$ frapp craps.

Okay - this thread was making me hungry until I read this - ewww - nice mental image there. :wacko:

I fully agree with the HSG steak addiction - the best I've had in a long time. I think the only thing that came close was the buffalo tenderloin we cooked ourselves for Valentine's day this year. But again - if you're looking to re-ignite an interest in meat, you might find the hangar a bit - umm - straightforwardly meaty - I'd go with canucklehead on ordering something a bit more familiar.

Let us not forget about the Rex Grill on Dunsmuir. In my mind they have the best prime rib in the city. The rub on the rib is incredible.

Leonard

C GM

Oh, come on, there is nothing delicious about a slow roasted, full day marinated, spit roasted prime rib with natural pan juices. Yuk ! Probably triple A - give me a break. I guess you are talking about Yorkshire Pudding as well - ewwwww. gross

I hate that stuff.

( Call me and let me know when it is ready ! )

Have fork, will travel

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

Let us not forget about the Rex Grill on Dunsmuir. In my mind they have the best prime rib in the city. The rub on the rib is incredible.

Leonard

C GM

Oh, come on, there is nothing delicious about a slow roasted, full day marinated, spit roasted prime rib with natural pan juices. Yuk ! Probably triple A - give me a break. I guess you are talking about Yorkshire Pudding as well - ewwwww. gross

I hate that stuff.

Oh Neil, you are so right. I really hate it when it is cooked to a perfect Med-rare and served up with a hot as hell, fresh off the root horseradish. Just gross!!

(I'll have mine with extra fat cap thanks!)

John

edited to say sorry about the crappy quotes....need more coffee...

JB

Edited by dodger (log)

It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Hunter S. Thompson ---- R.I.P. 1939 - 2005

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."

--Mark Twain

Leonard

C GM

You are the 2nd person to reccomend this place to me for their meat. A friend has a lot of business lunches there. So, you suggest the prime rib? Anything else?

"One chocolate truffle is more satisfying than a dozen artificially flavored dessert cakes." Darra Goldstein, Gastronomica Journal, Spring 2005 Edition

I heard someone mention Wilson's lately as a steak place, not sure if this, but thought I'd throw it into the mix to see what the local scoop on this is.

Haven't been to Rex in years, but had something good there several times about 6 or so years back ... I'm into Hanger steak, I am an old time carnivore so I like the meaty flavour.

Remember, keep us posted!

I heard someone mention Wilson's lately as a steak place, not sure if this, but thought I'd throw it into the mix to see what the local scoop on this is.

Haven't been to Rex in years, but had something good there several times about 6 or so years back ... I'm into Hanger steak, I am an old time carnivore so I like the meaty flavour.

Remember, keep us posted!

I heard that Wilson's has gone through a concept change, going more mainstream pub than Steakhouse. CAn anyone confirm this ?

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

[nwyles,Mar 5 2005, 03:32 PM]

I heard that Wilson's has gone through a concept change, going more mainstream pub than Steakhouse. CAn anyone confirm this ?

Pete McMartin wrote about businesses in the city that were suffering as a result of the hockey imbroglio. He mentioned Wilson's repeatedly throughout the article but referred to it as "Winston's" throughout. They can't seem to get a break from the media.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

[nwyles,Mar 5 2005, 03:32 PM]

Pete McMartin wrote about businesses in the city that were suffering as a result of the hockey imbroglio. He mentioned Wilson's repeatedly throughout the article but referred to it as "Winston's" throughout. They can't seem to get a break from the media.

It must be something in the water. There is another writer in this town who refered to the Internationally Famous Gingerbread Pudding ( also known as G-bread ) as a lemon merique tart. :biggrin:

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

It must be something in the water. There is another writer in this town who refered to the Internationally Famous Gingerbread Pudding ( also known as G-bread ) as a lemon merique tart. :biggrin:

Who the hell needs lemon meringue tart when you can have a butter tart. With maple syrup gelato. More please. Soon.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Prompted by comments upthread, I hit Rex for some meat last week. About 8pm on a weeknight, place was almost empty - a girl's night out table in the bar, and a quiet deuce in the corner. Just one friendly waitron and the friendly bartender, who turned out to be one of the owners. Seems they basically work the Bentall Centre suit and tie lunch crowd. Small but serviceable dinner menu. I had a Caesar salad and 12 oz prime rib. All very good, except that the meat was medium, and I had asked for med. rare (and had been assured that they did indeed have it thus).

I wasn't surprised. Given how slow the room was there's no way they fired a whole rib roast for dinner so I was probably eating rib that had either been reheated or had been held in a combi for a while. It was still tender and tasty, and certainly beat the pants off The Keg 'prime' rib. Reasonable prices for the quality. They mix an excellent Martini - or should I say, they mix a Tanqueray Martini exactly the way The Delectable Ms. A does, which is how I like them. I'll be back.

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

• 1 month later...

Sometimes I just want a really simple protein, starch and veg. plate to serve

as frame work for a great bottle of wine I have chosen.

Morton's, Hy's, Gotham........?

I have never been, but I am finding myself wanting to.

Any feed back on where I should go and why?

All opinions are welcome

Of the three, I'd lean towards Morton's but they're all excellent if you're looking for something traditional. Sometimes straight-forward is the way to go when following the dictates of your belly. It's a holy trinity: Filet. Mash. Veg. Add a Napa Cab to the mix and you're sated. I get the impulse and act on it at least 3 times a week. Sometimes Asian fusion, whet plates, Mussels, Salmon, and even a hearty rack of Lamb can seem a little dainty when it's dressed up with colourful "jizz" and topped by herbaceous balancing acts of foofoo and talent. Just gimme a fuc*ing steak, dude. Mix it up with some blue cheese but nothing too crazy. It's a ritual. They did it at Stonehenge and Tikal, why not off Robson? Every carnivore must pay this special tax from time to time to keep the incisors sharp and quell the savage within (disclosure: not much of a savage myself. I have a broken rubic's cube and a Clash record within).

But for something completely different, infinitely more interesting, and on a road soon to be trampled (is there a citywide stampede of onglet this year?), a trip to the Hamilton Street Grill for a Hanger Steak is a must. I've only ever had one, but much of the beef since (about 3 cows) has paled. The flavour.... :wub:

Moo. :wink:

Edited by editor@waiterblog (log)

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

Don't know if we are still "allowed" to post but having done the Sun Run this morning, the only part of my body I can move are my fingers so I am spending the afternoon at the computer. Steak - I LOVE Gotham! Think the food is simple yet suburb, and the service is the best anywhere in the city. There is nothing more satisfying then craving something, like steak and potatoes, and getting just what you wanted, served up as best as you have ever tried it.

Worst steak (or beef as Vancouver Mag say's. Jamie, sorry but...what were you thinking? Best beef? How can you possibly say that the quality of beef they use at Memphis Blues is better then Gotham, Hy's or Hamilton Street Grill, It just isn't!) Truth be told, I don't get Memphis Blues - The prices are outrageous for the level of service and food. The place is dirty, the service staff snarly and the food, OK. Last time I was there I got cold over-cooked fries, tasteless pork, beans and our bill was huge! Their food cost must be amazing…

Think the food is simple yet suburb . . .

Superb quote, FannyBay. :biggrin:

Worst steak (or beef as Vancouver Mag say's. Jamie, sorry but...what were you thinking? Best beef? How can you possibly say that the quality of beef they use at Memphis Blues is better then Gotham, Hy's or Hamilton Street Grill . . .

Huh? If I do have a beef, it's because I don't have a clue what you're talking about. I've never claimed here or elsewhere that Memphis Blues has the 'best beef' as you claim. In fact, to the best of my knowledge, Memphis Blues serves only one type of beef--smoked brisket. And while I quite like their version, I prefer the game hens.

So perhaps you'd like to clarify your point for us.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine