• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver Steak Houses

A salute to the Hamilton Street Grill for a fine steak last night.

Sat at the bar with a hanger steak with chanterelle mushrooms and a glass of B.C. merlot.  Honest and unpretentious food presented by people who clearly know and love what they do.

Yeah, and you got to hear the non-stop stream of curses out of my mouth as I smashed my bottle of white truffle oil on the floor. I thought my wife was going to slap me for being a "drama queen" , but she obviously does not understand about the truffle oil. It certainly made the kitchen smell nice and put a lovely shine on my new floor.

Cheers

Neil

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

On any given evening, at least two or three eGulleteers are in the Hammie. I was there (big party of 20 in the elevated dining area) last night, it seems g-man was there too, and I swear I saw Andrew's head bob by as he and Neil wandered out the door chatting :smile:

Awesome steaks, as ever. We were throwing a goodbye party for two of our departing postdocs, one of whom arrived in our lab 3 years ago an avowed vegetarian. We sent him back to Europe last night full of the king of steaks, the New York strip loin.

Jenn

"She's not that kind of a girl, Booger!"

We were throwing a goodbye party for two of our departing postdocs, one of whom arrived in our lab 3 years ago an avowed vegetarian. We sent him back to Europe last night full of the king of steaks, the New York strip loin.

That story warms my heart. I'm having quite a bit of trouble on our vegetarian, but I will break him.

Yeah, and you got to hear the non-stop stream of curses out of my mouth as I smashed my bottle of white truffle oil on the floor.

A small glimpse into the life of a celebrity chef.

Never before have I got me some free gingerbread pudding just for being an eyewitness to a few swears. I feel like a human swear-jar.

Anyways, nice $!@*#! job on the hanger steak.

Feeling the need for a good steak and remembering Jamie's mention of Earls my brother and I popped into the location on Broadway (near Granville) to check it out. I haven't eaten in an Earls for a good couple of years as I found the food to be ok but never very satisfying. Hopefully Michael Noble is set to turn things around.

The selection of steaks is not long, basically the 10 oz. California cut New York Steak (the server couldn't explain why it was called California) is the way to go $24.95. Two steaks ordered med. rare with two ceaser salads to start. ......and a bottle of wine from their incredibly well priced reserve list.

Due to the dock strike they are out of a couple of items such as the Beringer Knight Valley Cab. which is listed at $46. and actually sells for $49. at the LDB!!!! No wonder it's out of stock. Instead I ordered the Chateau Reynella Cab / Merlot. $41. There are no vintages on the wine list so I asked what year it was and to my astonishment it was a 1997 which was a great year for Australian wine and should be long gone by now. It was obviously well stored as it was completely delicious and went well with our steaks which were perfectly cooked (baseball cut, with no waste) and very tasty. They were served with ok mashed potatoes, roasted veg and fresh grated horseradish.

I'll go back just for the wine list. I assume that each location will have different wine treasures to discover.

Dessert by the way was pumpkin pie and it was one of the better pumpkin pies I've had in a while despite a somewhat leathery crust.

The selection of steaks is not long, basically the 10 oz. California cut New York Steak (the server couldn't explain why it was called California)

They are called California cuts because the New York is 10 oz., but rather than have a thinner cut with the whole New York, it is a thicker chunky cut comprising just half the New York. It's as if you are getting one half of a 20 oz. New York. They do this as the grill that they have at most Earls locations is extremely hot and it is easier to cook a thicker steak to a specific doneness (is that a word?) than a thinner steak.

Most of the time I love what Earls does, but I gotta say that the last time I was there, the green bean plate with tofu, and the salmon with the cucumber salad were just awful and barely edible. In future I will stick to the California shrimp pizza and the chicken and ribs combo.

BTW, the California shrimp have nothing to do with the California steaks.

Bob McLeod

VOX BACCULUS HIC VADIS IN VITRIO JUBILIAM

The road goes on forever and the party never ends

In 2004 VanMag had a category titled, eloquently, "Best Meat".  Memphis Blues won Gold, West (?) won Silver, and Gotham Bronze.

This year the category was split into two: Best Steakhouse/Chops and Best Barbeque.  In first category, Gotham tied Morton's for Gold, Hy's won Silver and The Keg Bronze.  In Best Barbeque, from the many fine Vancouver barbeque establishments we enjoy :wink: , Memphis Blues won Gold, Dix won Silver and Slim'z Bronze.

Wow Memphis made the list? I will admit that the shredded pork has got to be my favorite dish there. And they give you a fair portion of veggies on the platter (like chicken).

I'm a little split on Gothams and Morton's too. I really really liked the Filet Mignon at Gothams. It was my first "put the meat in your mouth and it melts on your tongue" experience. Mortons I liked for the flavour.

I havn't tried the hanger steak but apparently if I don't I'm going to be shunned on this forum. I HAVE had the gingerbread dessert and it was pretty good (but I wouldn't say it blew me away). It DID get rave reviews from my friends tho who were more than happy to take it away from me :)

Wes

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

They are called California cuts because the New York is 10 oz., but rather than have a thinner cut with the whole New York, it is a thicker chunky cut comprising just half the New York.  It's as if you are getting one half of a 20 oz. New York. They do this as the grill that they have at most Earls locations is extremely hot and it is easier to cook a thicker steak to a specific doneness (is that a word?) than a thinner steak.

To my knowledge, this is actually called a Manhattan cut (get it?). Perhaps Earl's like to make up their own names, like asking if you want that "Keg Sized" ...

The only way to eat a strip steak. Given adequate rest time, it produces a much better steak, with more even cooking.

Off topic, but I could not resist. :)

-- Matt.

In 2004 VanMag had a category titled, eloquently, "Best Meat". Memphis Blues won Gold, West (?) won Silver, and Gotham Bronze.

The restaurant that won Silver was called "900 West" at the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver. 900 West's last day of dinner service was Oct. 2, 2004. There will probably be another concept opening in 2006 at 900 West, with details yet to be finalized. Likely a restaurant featuring small plates, as is the trend nowadays.

The main differences that 900 West featured were that the starch and vegetables were included in the steak price, whereas Morton's and Gotham both charge (a lot) for sides of both, served family-style. 900 West also had an 18 oz prime rib carved tableside. I hear that Chartwell @ Four Seasons is starting to try some more tableside service items as well.

Personally, I have eaten dinner at Gotham and was highly, highly unimpressed with the food. The room is beautiful, but the food....not so much.

Looking forward to trying the much hyped hangar steak at HSG. Hope it lives up to the press.

Ian McTavish

General Manager / Capones Restaurant & Live Jazz Club

I'm gonna go check out this HSG. Any recommendations on what I should order. I like to try recommendations, otherwise I always find myself ordering the things I like. But recommendations better allow me to explore a menu.

My favourites? Mussels Diablo. Pear and Stilton Salad. Black and Blue Tuna. Any risotto that comes out of Neil's kitchen. Hanger Steak. And Warm Gingerbread Pudding.

Enjoy your dinner!

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

I'm gonna go check out this HSG. Any recommendations on what I should order. I like to try recommendations, otherwise I always find myself ordering the things I like. But recommendations better allow me to explore a menu.

My favourites? Mussels Diablo. Pear and Stilton Salad. Black and Blue Tuna. Any risotto that comes out of Neil's kitchen. Hanger Steak. And Warm Gingerbread Pudding.

Enjoy your dinner!

Ditto on the hanger steak and the gingerbread pudding. I have yet to go beyond these two, but plan on it in the near future.

Thoughtbox : be sure to introduce yourself.

I am the one with the "Ernest Borgnine" good looks !

Neil,

I've heard WAY too much about the hanger steak now. Oh my god. If thoughtbox is who I think it is I probably mentioned it to him too. I'm going to need to find some time to try it in the coming weeks. I HAVE had the pudding though and I will admit that it was sublime. I believe the two girls I was with may have gone into some kind of orgasmic state when they tasted it. That or we had some kind of momentary earthqauke, not sure...

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

....and surrounded by puck-bunnies.

You must also sample the lamb burger with yam fries. I believe it's only listed on the lunch menu, but if you ask nicely, I suspect they'll likely see what they can do for you in the evening (workload permitting, of course).

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

www.leecarney.com

My mom has had a craving for the carpaccio for the past week, and personally I think it is divine.

So, at this point, if you take all of our recommendations, well...you'll be giving Ling a run for her money.

You must definitely try the hanger!!!

Enjoy your dinner!

Thanks, a tonne. Sounds delicious. ;-)

Authenticity is all that matters.

Thoughtbox : be sure to introduce yourself.

Ernest Borgnine, very handsome indeed. It must be difficult keeping all the ladies away. ;-).

I will introduce myself. You should see me and my date sometime this week.

Thanks,

Authenticity is all that matters.

• 4 weeks later...

QUOTE(

[/quote)

Here are some of the better steaks in town:

Canadian AAA/Certified Angus Beef

1. Hy's Encore (begin with martinis, Caesar salad and cheese toast; admire portraits of dead waiters on walls.)

2. Hamilton Street Grill (end with world famous, house signature lemon meringue pie)  :biggrin:

3. Smoking Dog (order rib chop, on the bone, with sauce Bordelaise)

4. Earls. That's right.

5. Le Gavroche. Entrecote for two carved at the table.

6. Cioppino's. Steak Fiorentina. Ditto. Take money.

US Prime

1. Gotham

2. Morton's

There are other pretenders but this should give you a start. Full report please.

<!--QuoteBegin-

[/quote+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(

[/quote)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->

Here are some of the better steaks in town:

Canadian AAA/Certified Angus Beef

1. Hy's Encore (begin with martinis, Caesar salad and cheese toast; admire portraits of dead waiters on walls.)

2. Hamilton Street Grill (end with world famous, house signature lemon meringue pie)  :biggrin:

3. Smoking Dog (order rib chop, on the bone, with sauce Bordelaise)

4. Earls. That's right.

5. Le Gavroche. Entrecote for two carved at the table.

6. Cioppino's. Steak Fiorentina. Ditto. Take money.

US Prime

1. Gotham

2. Morton's

There are other pretenders but this should give you a start. Full report please.

Can we clarify ?

Prime is the top 3 % of beef. Gotham is serving Prime, which is the top 3 %. I find it hard to imagine that they are serving the top 3 % of that top 3 %.

Cheers

Neil

Not to say that PRIME is the top 3%, but that within the PRIME grade there are diferent qualities, and what I understand from what I was told is that we source the very best of that grade. For the price it better be damn good.