• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Siu Mai Cook-off II

Dejah

Only really seen them in Shanghai where they are commonly sold on the streets. Haven't seen them in the North/Beijing

I don't know my Chinese geography as well as I should, but I sorta considered everything north of Fuzhou as being "northern" :smile:

haha, interesting! I consider everything from Shanghai down as "south."

:laugh: Funny, I consider anything that's not Cantonese as Northern! Hey, Toishan is alllll the way down South.... :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...

So I finally made my siu mai. They turned out pretty good, I used the 1:1 pork/shrimp ratio that everyone else used in this cook-off.

This is my filling. 1 lb pork, 1 lb shrimp, 1 egg, 1 pack of shiitakes diced, 1 Tb sesame oil, 1Tb soy sauce, 1 Tb rice wine vinegar - doesn't get much easier does it?

IMG_0848.jpg

Here's my finished product.

IMG_0859.jpg

I thought they turned out pretty decent. The flavor was good. I think I lost a bit of moisture by using a less fatty portion of shoulder so I made myself a little dipping sauce from the same wet ingredients used to season the filling, as well as a good amount of sriracha.

Believe me, I tied my shoes once, and it was an overrated experience - King Jaffe Joffer, ruler of Zamunda

So I finally made my siu mai.  They turned out pretty good, I used the 1:1 pork/shrimp ratio that everyone else used in this cook-off.

Here's my finished product. 

IMG_0859.jpg

Mmmmmnnnn... I could do with some of those now!

I'm curious as to why the wrappers are so yellow. Which brand & type did you use? Is it an egg dough, or does it use food coloring?

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

Actually I have no clue SS, they were store-bought and yellow but I'm not sure what the source of the color is and unfortunately I'll never know because I threw out the wrapper. :sad:

Edited by ellencho (log)

Believe me, I tied my shoes once, and it was an overrated experience - King Jaffe Joffer, ruler of Zamunda

I've read package ingredients on yellow wrappers, and have seen 'food coloring' on them.

Is the Yangzi the unofficial dividing line between north and south? I'd

been told that homes across the river from Nanjing had central heating, but in Nanjing, homes didn't have it. Any truth?

• 2 weeks later...
pictur.gif

Testing to see if I got it right.

It didn't work.

This is what comes up:

HTTP Status 404 - /pictur.gif

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

type Status report

message /pictur.gif

description The requested resource (/pictur.gif) is not available.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache Tomcat/4.1.