• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eat Vancouver 2005

Badiane

Someone told me a long time ago that Bob Blumer was Jane Siberry's long time manager. I just checked his site and it just said that during a break form touring th globe he got into the cooking thing. It does not say that he is CDN but he does live in the States.

Dan Walker

Chef/Owner

Weczeria Restaurant

Back to Eat! I went to it in its first year and the first celeb I saw was (drum roll) Jaimie Maw introducing a mother daughter combo who demonstrated making a strawberry shortcake. Unfortunately, they forgot how warm it can get with spotlights, the whip cream never did peak. I'm sure by now they have all the tech difficulties worked out. As a newbie to the foodie world it was fun. The highlight was Christine Cushing and Juan, but I wasn't a regular Food Network viewer. so this act was new to me. This was followed by Rob Feenie and although I enjoy his food, I remember him not being a very engaging public speaker. It didn't help being distracted by a child across the aisle from me doing a Linda Blair imitation (how can so much vomit come out of such a small body) with a panicked father and not one volunteer or staff there to help or clean up. I bet just one hour prior to this the father was thinking what a great deal this show was with all its giveaway food. I remember a Sanelli knife booth that was interesting, the ice carving demos, and various useful and ridiculous kitchen tool vendors. Not sure if I would like it this time as it's not so new to me anymore, but going with other e-gulleters probably would put a nice spin to it. I think they could give the heckling Mr. Talent and Andrew a stage to liven up this tradeshow.

"One chocolate truffle is more satisfying than a dozen artificially flavored dessert cakes." Darra Goldstein, Gastronomica Journal, Spring 2005 Edition

Thanks Butter...that's about what I thought it would be like, but there was always the chance that it would be different. I hate when I go to these things as end up irritated because it's a waste of time when I could be eating elsewhere. Go Fish, Bon Ton, Granville Island and Montri sound like a better bet for the day :-)

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

Thanks Butter...that's about what I thought it would be like, but there was always the chance that it would be different.  I hate when I go to these things as end up irritated because it's a waste of time when I could be eating elsewhere.  Go Fish, Bon Ton, Granville Island and Montri sound like a better bet for the day :-)

Hi everyone. :biggrin:

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Why the sudden post? :wacko:

2 words.

Bob "i don't have a clue what i'm doing" Blumer. :angry:

(I know, its more than 2 words.....)

My one and only true nemisis.

The one that taunts and haunts me even in my dreams.... :wacko:

Why this clown is still on air baffles me to no end.

Watched one episode when he 1st aired.

Horrific is the word I use. :blink:

Decide to give him another chance.

Same reaction.

Now I just plain avoid him.

Even to the extend of planning my Food Network TV

time around missing his shows. :sad:

One thing I know.

My nemisis must GO..... :wink:

Best,

Owzer

Back to Eat! I went to it in its first year and the first celeb I saw was (drum roll) Jaimie Maw introducing a mother daughter combo who demonstrated making a strawberry shortcake. Unfortunately, they forgot how warm it can get with spotlights, the whip cream never did peak. I'm sure by now they have all the tech difficulties worked out. As a newbie to the foodie world it was fun. The highlight was Christine Cushing and Juan, but I wasn't a regular Food Network viewer. so this act was new to me. This was followed by Rob Feenie and although I enjoy his food, I remember him not being a very engaging public speaker. It didn't help being distracted by a child across the aisle from me doing a Linda Blair imitation (how can so much vomit come out of such a small body) with a panicked father and not one volunteer or staff there to help or clean up. I bet just one hour prior to this the father was thinking what a great deal this show was with all its giveaway food. I remember a Sanelli knife booth that was interesting, the ice carving demos, and various useful and ridiculous kitchen tool vendors. Not sure if I would like it this time as it's not so new to me anymore, but going with other e-gulleters probably would put a nice spin to it. I think they could give the heckling Mr. Talent and Andrew a stage to liven up this tradeshow.

Back to Eat. :raz:

Went a couple of years ago, and this was my impression.

1) Remembered that they had some sort of competition for local

chefs and new cooking school grads. Tons of beautiful displays

and interesting plating techniques. Saw Scott from Diva @ the

Met with his videocam. Don't know whether they still do that.

But a definite highlight for the aspiring chef or the semi-pro

home cook.

2) They issued us food vouchers upon entry. Stubs that you could

use at various stores for the "free" food. Be warned that the lines

get pretty long. Extra vouchers were also sold on site. Can't

remember how much...

3) The live demos were kind of interesting. Remember Christine &

Rob doing their thing. Don't get much of a view when you seat

further back, though.

4) The rest of the show consisted of various retailers and vendors

hawking their ware. Interesting enough the 1st time around, but

won't do it again.

The only reason back this year for me would be to meet up with the

EGers and finally put a face to the names... :raz:

Best,

Owzer

I went last year. Interesting for me because I ddidn't know many "foodie" and it was nice to be around people who are as much into food as I am! :biggrin:

Mostly vendors, a few stages with cooking competition, and saw Rob Feenie and Karen Barnaby (sp?) demonstrating.

one solid reason to go:

the b.c. provincial barbecue competition is in full effect on sunday afternoon at Eat Vancouver. about 20 teams will be barbecuing senseless amounts of brisket, pork shoulder, ribs and chicken. the judging takes place in the early afternoon. after the judges get theirs, i think the public can get in on the action by buying tickets to exchange for samples, with proceeds going to charity. it is happening outside B.C. Place on Terry Fox Plaza, so you probably don't even need to pay the $12 entrance fee if you don't want to go inside.

I bloody well hope not! We need him on the line tonight and tomorrow!  :smile:

Too bad, I heard the secret ingredient was turkey. At least this time he would have had some time to think about it. :laugh:

I'm going straight to hell for that one

A.

I bloody well hope not! We need him on the line tonight and tomorrow!  :smile:

Too bad, I heard the secret ingredient was turkey. At least this time he would have had some time to think about it. :laugh:

I'm going straight to hell for that one

A.

Hey, chef koo has been really quiet - stop picking on him you big Bully - that's my job !!

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

The family unit and I Sky-Trained it down to the dome this afternoon for Eat! Vancouver. Met up with Ling, peppyre and *Deborah*. Chef Metcalf had been there earlier, jamiemaw was "working" the show, and Edible Vancouver and wife were seen later in the evening.

The joke on this thread was to go down and heckle Bob Bloomer. I wanted to, really I did, but when I saw him wandering around BC Place ine his PJ's ... well it all just seemed a little sad. Besides, the crowds he drew wouldn't have appreciated my sense of humour. The man has fans.

We ended up watching Spicey Steve instead of Bloomer. Some of the others went to see the pjamama-ed one, but returned once he started making mac and cheese. Steve was awesome! He made this fantastic Prawn Sambal Curry ... very gracious man.

We also saw Justin Ault (owner) & Takahiro Toyoshige(chef) from Happa Izakaya, David Hawksworth from West, and Ron Shewchuck's programme as well. Ron's the BBQ guy, and an eGulleter waiting to happen! Mark my words!

The highlight for me was the BBQ guys outside! I so want one of those big smokers! We even met a nice group from Olympia WA who are not only champion BBQ'ers, but own a restaurant in Olympia as well. So we have a place to visit on our way down to the Brewer's Fest in Portland!

I liked the show this year. The exhibitors were better than previous years. The big grocery stores were there but not at all dominant. The chef competitions were fun to watch as well, although some of the "hosts" need to work on their mike techniques.

If you go (ends tomorrow) please take something for the food bank! It's a great cause and you'll save $2 off the admission!

A.

Holy crap I was so lucky to get a seat in the front row when I was watching Feenie tonight. Crowds were basically just surrounding the seated area. Being the kinda guy I am I also got Rob Feenie's and David Hawksworth's signatures :laugh:

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf