• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eat Vancouver 2005

Badiane

I saw an ad on TV last night for Eat Vancouver, coming up on the 22, 23 and 24th of this month. Has anyone ever attended a past event and is it worth going to or not? I don't care for Bob Blumer, and I have seen Feenie cook, so aside from those two things happening, is there anything else of note that would make attending a good idea? I don't go to the city as often as I would like, and don't want to 'waste' a day, if you know what I mean. Any input would be welcome.

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

What's this about Bob Blumer?

Anyone want to get together, get liquored and heckle?

The only tricky part will be keeping the BAC at the level that encourages spontaneous hillarity, yet below the full blown English football hooligan, do violence against his person level.

The only tricky part will be keeping the BAC at the level that encourages spontaneous hillarity, yet below the full blown English football hooligan, do violence against his person level.

I'd be down for observing and taking notes for subsequent reportage on eGullet :laugh:

Most of my heckling tends to be sotto voce in order to not be disruptive, though... :blush:

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

I'm in, but sans liquor. We'll be taking the kids. Then again, I've never needed liquor to hurl abuse. Speaking of which, the BC Salmon Farmer's Association will be there :hmmm: (keep an open mind, keep an open mind ...)

On a serious note, I'm interested in checking out the Chili and Barbecue Festival taking place during the show, and learning a new trick or two.

Eat Vancouver Web Page (CLICK)

A.

Oooo...you guys are evil...I LOVE this site! I never thought of it from a go and heckle Bob Blumer perspective...THAT could make the whole thing worth it!

But seriously, is it a good event or no? Heckling opportunities aside, of course :-)

Scott Stratten

If you can eat a lot, the $12 ticket is well worth it. I went 2 years ago and I could barely waddle out of the stadium when it was over.

I remember seeing Christine Cushing on stage...and Thomas Haas too. I thought it was a fun event.

Edited by Ling (log)

Hmmm...how much food can a group of egulleters eat in one afternoon?

It's like some kind of strange riddle. I used to go to trade events like this and there was always ALOT of food. Of course I never had to pay to get in, so that made it even more of a bargain.

Edited by peppyre (log)

If you can eat a lot, the $12 ticket is well worth it. I went 2 years ago and I could barely waddle out of the stadium when it was over.

Okay, NOW I'm really interested!! :laugh:

A.

Just a warning--the lines for the free food can be quite long!

I also bought those tickets that you can cash in for samples from restaurants, but I don't remember eating anything particularly great (except maybe the mango lassi.)

Well, heckling opportunities aside, I think I will give it a miss...the restaurants involved don't really interest me all that much...I think we will stick to the original plan of lunch at Go Fish, shopping at Granville Island, a visit to Bon Ton for a cake and dinner at Montri or Maurya or the suchlikes. I'm turning the big 4-0, so my hubby has gifted me with a 'do what I want in the city' day. Somehow I don't envision spending it getting bloated and heckling Bob. Although the heckling thing does make me laugh...maybe I can find out what hotel he's at and heckle him in the lobby for free. Oh boy, I really need to get a hobby.

Scott Stratten

Okay...let's all get matching hats - perhaps silver, with toast coming out the top. We will rally at the Maurya booth at high noon, arm ourselves with paranthas and poori and head for the Bloomer demo. I will distract Bloomer by shouting "Someone is smearing Jelly on your Toastermobile!" and you all make off with his mis-en-place and replace it with plastic food stolen from the sushi booth...

Scott Stratten

We had a lead up discussion about the same event last year here. I also searched to see if I could find a thread with feedback from people who went last year but no luck. I went three years ago and was very underwhelmed (!).

Support your local farmer

Currently reading:

The Art of Simple Food by Alice Waters

Just finished reading:

The 100-Mile Diet by Alisa Smith & J. B. MacKinnon

Why are you guys so so MEAN to Rob?

So what if he makes shrimp on the barbie, with actual crustaceans served on top of a Barbie doll. So what if he has mashed potatoes with balsamic syrup that looks like an ice cream sundae. It is meant to be SURREAL man! Get it?!

If I can't convince you - then look at all the $$$ he makes. Doesn't that prove my point?

All the more reason to heckle, as far as I'm concerned :-)

Is he Canadian? I just hate his show, plus I had a negative in person interaction with him on a sidewalk in Seattle...I don't actually know anything about him...what's his claim to fame other than the show?

Scott Stratten

Wow I didn't know so many people disliked Rob Feenie on here.. unless it was all jokingly, of course. :unsure:

I've only seen him in that Iron Chef American episode, otherwise I've never see his show on Food Network Canada. He seemed like a friendly guy during the Iron Chef faceoff.

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

All the more reason to heckle, as far as I'm concerned :-) 

Is he Canadian?  I just hate his show, plus I had a negative in person interaction with him on a sidewalk in Seattle...I don't actually know anything about him...what's his claim to fame other than the show?

I think he hails from Montreal originally.

Claim to fame? Pajamas maybe....culinary Hugh Hefner?

Edited by merlin (log)