• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How is Meritage?

goofy md

I'll be visiting Boston for one night and was looking for a good place to eat (with a great wine list that serves fish or veggitarian food /I don't eat shellfish :sad: but my friend does ) near the wyndham in the finacial district. I was leaning towards Meritage. is this a good choice or are there better?

thanks,

mark

I'll be visiting Boston for one night and was looking for a good place to eat (with a great wine list that serves fish or veggitarian food /I don't eat shellfish  :sad: but my friend does ) near the wyndham in the finacial district.  I was leaning towards Meritage. is this a good choice or are there better?

thanks,

mark

I ate there in January under similar circumstances and was disappointed. There was a weird stringy piece of foie gras with some really inappropriate braised greens. The same greens also appeared in another of the dishes I ordered (it's kind of mix and match), and neither the waiter nor the menu warned of this. I wasn't able to detect the advertised truffle in a soup.

It was really that bad on the whole (there was a really good squab dish, for instance; the deserts were good), but for a restaurant of that price and ambition it just didn't cut it.

Andrew

Andrew Riggsby

ariggsby@mail.utexas.edu

I'll be visiting Boston for one night and was looking for a good place to eat (with a great wine list that serves fish or veggitarian food /I don't eat shellfish  :sad: but my friend does ) near the wyndham in the finacial district.  I was leaning towards Meritage. is this a good choice or are there better?

thanks,

mark

I've been to Meritage twice and the first time (about 1 year ago) I really loved it. We went back last month for my birthday and it was a totally different experience. The wine was good, but the food was moderate. We each did three small plates with matching wines and we each only really enjoyed one of the dishes. The others tasted like, well, hotel food - kind of dry, kind of boring. On top of that, we were charged an extra $120 for a bottle of wine we didn't have. We didn't notice at first (I know that sounds absurd, but it is very expensive there to begin with, and we just thought we were over-exuberant). I called to have it removed and it took over a week for the situation to be resolved. For that kind of money, better food and service are had elsewhere.

I've eaten there 3 times -although the last time I was there was about a year ago so I can't speak to what it is like now. The 3 times i went, though, the food and service were outstanding.

thanks for the input, I think I will opt to go elsewhere. I'm leaning towards Troquet over Radius because I love their wine list (I'm waiting to see if Radis will e mail me theirs). My original thought was to eat in the area so we could walk (although I'm not sure this is a reasonable option anyway), but I think we'll just take a cab.

How do people dress at Troquet? I'm from Arizona and causual is always acceptable.

How do people dress at Troquet?  I'm from Arizona and causual is always acceptable.

It's not fancy, jacket and tie, kind of place. I'd say jeans are okay, but casual slacks, even like Dockers or something, would probably make you feel more comfortable in your surroundings. If you do wear jeans, balance it with a button up shirt. Troquet is nice, my old boss was from Paris and it was his favorite non-$$$ place to go.

• 2 weeks later...