• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Da Post on Da Sto on 4/14: egullet mentioned

Nadya

daSto featured in "Shopping as an Appetizer" in WashPost today. Page H3.

Quote:

"About the store's name: Smith and Clark were slammed on www.egullet.com, a Web site and online chat for foodies, by people who think daSto is an insulting reference to black slang. But Smith said she and Clark were inspired by the unpronounceable Swedish names at Ikea. "It wasn't an ebonics thing at all," Smith said."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/artic...-2005Apr13.html

Resident Twizzlebum

daSto featured in "Shopping as an Appetizer" in WashPost today. Page H3.

Quote:

"About the store's name: Smith and Clark were slammed on www.egullet.com, a Web site and online chat for foodies, by people who think daSto is an insulting reference to black slang. But Smith said she and Clark were inspired by the unpronounceable Swedish names at Ikea. "It wasn't an ebonics thing at all," Smith said."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/artic...-2005Apr13.html

My, that wasn't what Chef Gillian said during that whole broo-ha-ha last year. At the very least the editor could have looked up Marc Fisher's column.

PS - nice editing. The Society is no longer a dot com, but a dot org. When was that changed? September? Granted that they'll be re-directed, but still sloppy.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

This must be a subtle form of revenge for the "WaPo food section heading downhill thread"

:raz:

�As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy, and to make plans.� - Ernest Hemingway, in �A Moveable Feast�

Brooklyn, NY, USA

My, that wasn't what Chef Gillian said during that whole broo-ha-ha last year. At the very least the editor could have looked up Marc Fisher's column.

Or what she said in her intitial response to the original daSto discussion:

None of my customers or employees who often say they're going to "da Sto" are ashamed of how they talk.  It seems that only a small group of snooty white people attempting to be politically correct foodies find fault with their pronunciation.

Bill Russell

This must be a subtle form of revenge for the "WaPo food section heading downhill thread"

:raz:

Except today's bit isn't even in the Food section, it's in the Home section. Different section, with an entirely different set of writers and editors, who, judging from this writeup, don't read the Metro or Food sections.

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

Do you think maybe she just did not want to get into it? EGullet is a large but limited audience, the Post...well it could just go on forever. I think this was her bit of sarcastic humor...and I like it!

Paris is a mood...a longing you didn't know you had, until it was answered.

-An American in Paris

Do you think maybe she just did not want to get into it? EGullet is a large but limited audience, the Post...well it could just go on forever. I think this was her bit of sarcastic humor...and I like it!

I definitely think she did not want to get into it. I don't think the Ikea explanation was sarcastic humor, though, just a big fat fibola. :rolleyes: (But what do I know?)

Edited by redfox (log)

"went together easy, but I did not like the taste of the bacon and orange tang together"

I, for one, do not think she was telling a "fibola." (How many Americans do you think pronounced "Ikea" correctly before they heard it, or Hermes, or Bjork?) I think the name is fine and I like it. When I first saw daSto, I called it Das-toe, and I think that's funny.

Edited by emmapeel (log)

Emma Peel

I, for one, do not think she was telling a "fibola." (How many Americans do you think pronounced "Ikea" correctly before they heard it, or Hermes, or Bjork?) I think the name is fine and I like it.  When I first saw daSto, I called it Das-toe, and I think that's funny.

I'm not sure what the pronunciation of Ikea, Hermes, or Bjork has to do with it -- I think it's a fib because it's not at all in line with what she said before, and it's not funny enough to be sarcastic humor about the original argument; it just seems like an evasion.

"went together easy, but I did not like the taste of the bacon and orange tang together"

I agree, it was evasive, and you are right, it was not in line with certain statements she made. I was referring to this one:

... But Smith said she and Clark were inspired by the unpronounceable Swedish names at Ikea. "It wasn't an ebonics thing at all," Smith said.

I think the thread is a dead horse and I regret adding to it.

Edited by emmapeel (log)

Emma Peel

I think it is petty to denegrate a small business that is just starting up in an area that has seen little or no outside investment in decades. What drives all of this negativity, I wonder.

The orgin of most small businesses is eclectic and collaborative. It took a lot of "cojones" to open Colorado Kitchen and DaSto in this location and I commend Gillian Clark for creating something unique in an increasingly cookie cutter American landscape (and I mean that in a bad way--though I'll bet Ms. Clark could do wonders with a cookie cutter) .

I think it is petty to denegrate a small business that is just starting up in an area that has seen little or no outside investment in decades. What drives all of this negativity, I wonder.

The orgin of most small businesses is eclectic and collaborative. It took a lot of "cojones" to open Colorado Kitchen and DaSto in this location and I commend Gillian Clark for creating something unique in an increasingly cookie cutter American landscape (and I mean that in a bad way--though I'll bet Ms. Clark could do wonders with a cookie cutter) .

AMEN...

Paris is a mood...a longing you didn't know you had, until it was answered.

-An American in Paris