• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cake-batter flavored ice cream?

binkyboots

On holiday in Miami with my sister recently, we absconded from our tour group and found a lovely ice cream shop, delicious flavours including birthday cake ice cream.

We had to try it, tasted just like cake batter (asnyone who licked the bowl as a child needs this!)

Since coming home I've been trying to find a recipe which will yield a similar taste as I'd love to use it as the filling for a meringue birthday cake for a friend of mine.

Much googling has been done, but nothing to show for it, any thoughts?

Spam in my pantry at home.

Think of expiration, better read the label now.

Spam breakfast, dinner or lunch.

Think about how it's been pre-cooked, wonder if I'll just eat it cold.

wierd al ~ spam

They make a birthdaycake flavor syrup. It's a big flavor for snowcones down here. I'd try that before I'd dump a cake mix into my custard, I just think that'd throw the texture waay off. Try googling (now over 200$/share btw) for snowcone/snowball syrups and/or recipes for them. might get lucky. I might bring my kids to a stand after the game today and I'll ask to see the bottle. Maybe it's got some information you could use to order on it.

They make a birthdaycake flavor syrup. It's a big flavor for snowcones down here. I'd try that before I'd dump a cake mix into my custard, I just think that'd throw the texture waay off. Try googling (now over 200$/share btw) for snowcone/snowball syrups and/or recipes for them. might get lucky. I might bring my kids to a stand after the game today and I'll ask to see the bottle. Maybe it's got some information you could use to order on it.

Wedding Cake is one of my old standbys (it's basically like combining almond and vanilla). I like it with a little condensed milk over the top. I will most likely have one mid afternoon Friday at the Fairgrounds.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

KA Flours sells something called "Princess" flavour extract. I haven't tried it but the catalogue promises you that traditional "bakery" cake taste. Maybe a little of that in a vanilla ice cream recipe is all you need?

thanks guys, I had a suspicion it might be a syrup flavouring...

I will try and get hold of the princess flavouring though, that sounds pretty good and I wanted to order a couple of other bits from them. Being in the uk really is a pain sometimes, we dont seem to have an equivalent for king arthur's here :sad:

Edited by binkyboots (log)

Spam in my pantry at home.

Think of expiration, better read the label now.

Spam breakfast, dinner or lunch.

Think about how it's been pre-cooked, wonder if I'll just eat it cold.

wierd al ~ spam