• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Japanese food in the media

torakris

Some American cooks believe that grilling is the national pastime. But it's also a passion in Korea and Japan, where cooks enjoy a particularly cozy relationship with the fire.

It's more than a national pastime or passion in Korea. It's part of the way of life. There's really no such thing as a Korean get together without a grill or some form of cooking together.

• 1 month later...

A short NYT article about lotus root in Asian cuisine: Beauty That Hides Beneath the Lotus Blossom (free registration required)

No idea what the Japanese "seet-and-sour marinade" is supposed to be though.

But the renkon no kimpira recipe, Braised Lotus Root (registration required), sounds about right.

My eGullet foodblog: Spring in Tokyo

My regular blog: Blue Lotus

• 2 weeks later...

I found this article via referrer logs.

It talks about the emergence of non-sushi restaurants in the U.S. It's about time! I wish more restaurant owners would brave specialty Japanese cuisine, or at least try less typical formats for the US market.

I had drafted a few business plans about 2 years ago for such concepts (an izakaya, an okonomiyaki place, a quick service korokke shop, and my favorite, a sort of kissaten like atmosphere teishoku place with 3-4 Japanese-ish and 3-4 wafuu-yoshoku options. Alas, the resources left from my last job didn't make any of those financially feasible, so I chose to work on something that I could still be excited about but didn't require the same upfront financial hit.

Itadakimasu @ calendarlive.com

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I just made a wonderful discovery (via Accidental Hedonist): Autumn Omakase, a free downloadable cookbook from Tasting Menu. Just click the link and fill out a quick form, and download the .pdf file. Adobe Acrobat Reader version 6.0 required.

I'm not sure if I'll actually try any of the recipes (they're a bit too fancy for Chez Smallworld), but the pictures are just gorgeous and the text is enlightening.

Edited by smallworld (log)

My eGullet foodblog: Spring in Tokyo

My regular blog: Blue Lotus

• 2 months later...

Happy New Year everyone! :rolleyes:

I just read the article on ImoJochu on NYT 1/4/06 by Harris Salat.

Essence of Sweet Potato, Sip by Sip.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/04/dining/04shoc.html

Harris Salat has his web log, too.

http://www.harrissalat.com/

He writes a short blog on mochi, and he has wonderful mochi making photos! :laugh:

Check out the latest meal!

Itadakimasu

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
i hate to sound ignorant but could you explain who she is? the website looks really interesting but i don't speak/read japanese so it's difficult to understand...

thanks!

She's a well-known cookbook author specializing in baking/pastry. She also writes on pastry/baking for Japanese magazines.

As a point of interest, she studied at RLB's school in New York (Cordon Rose Baking School).

Baker of "impaired" cakes...