• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN: 1982 Groth Napa Cabernet Sauvignon

geo t.

A collaborative TN from the Gang of Pour:

One of the very best wines we’ve had this year is a 1982 Groth Napa Cabernet Sauvignon, a marvelous bottle by almost anyone’s standards. So smooth, and still showing pure, lovely fruit, with no secondary flavors whatsoever, this is an ideal model for mature Napa Cabernet, and one that we enjoyed immensely, courtesy of Alan Kerr aka Canadian Zinfan, who also did us the honor of scribing his inimitable impressions.

It's always a treat when Mr. Kerr comes to visit, but on this occasion a few weeks back, it was a complete surprise to me. I stumbled home after a rather long workday, and my spirits were immediately lifted when I saw that familiar "Zinfan" Ontario license plate on the car parked in our driveway. Alan and Kim were busily preparing a marvelous dinner of rack of lamb, sautéed mushrooms and caramelized onions over beluga lentils and asparagus spears, and he poured me the last glass of a very nice 2003 J. Wilkes Santa Barbara County Pinot Noir Solomon Hills Vineyard Block 3; it wasn't until much later that I discovered that they'd already ravaged a lovely 2002 Thackrey Aquilla Sangiovese! Ah well, they were having fun, and we have more of the stuff in the cellar from heck.

It was so refreshing for me to be able to sit back and not have to record tasting notes on this occasion, and of course Alan is a master scribe. Here's what he had to say about this wine:

1982 Groth Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon, 13% alc.: Nose is full of balsa, cedar and vanillin, but escalating waves of stewed plum and organic aromas quickly overwhelm the latter. I note mushroom stems, forest floor, dead leaves, sweet spice, dried porcini, thyme and Szechwan peppercorn. The palate really shows fruit in the form of ripe creamy blackberry, red cherry, blackcurrant and dusty Moroccan spice. The finish echoes the latter, adds some lead pencil, the acids are refreshing and the leathery texture is full. What a nice surprise!

We drank a few other things as well; you can read about them here.

Reporting from Day-twah,

geo t.

George Heritier aka geo t.

The Gang of Pour