• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dufferin Grove Park Farmers Mkt

malcolmjolley

I haven't been in over a year, and in any event, it's over til next Thurs.

but, I thought it was kinda neat - not a great deal of selection perhaps - it's pretty small, but it had a very "community" kind of feel - lots of families and kids, and I got the feeling that there's a coterie of regulars that are probably there just about every week.

So, Malcolm, what did you think? Did you buy anything? One of the things that makes it different is the baked goods.

I'm not sure how much produce would be available this time of year though. Might be a good project for Gremolata to survey the GTA farmer's markets and who is there and what they offer - the dailies haven't seemed interested particularly (the Star always has a token article on this every year, but it's mostly times and places - no depth).

cheers,

Geoff Ruby

I went in the fall. My first impression was that it was smaller than it was. I only saw the six or so fruit-and-veg stalls outside at first, and the few booths just inside the building by it. Eventually - happily - I discovered the other ten or so booths around the corner, in the main part of the building. By late fall, preserves and baked goods were already dominating the selection. The carrots were the tastiest thing I bought, the organic rice flour the most intriguing.

How was your expedition?

I will post properly later - this is just a quick hit...

Very impressed with the market, actually. To be perfectly honest, I was expecting a super crunchy granola vibe - and there was cartainly enough of it there, but the food for sale was excellent.

In particular, I bought a small bucket of greens, picked that morning form a neighbour of Greenfields Farms, at there stall, which was absolutely fantastic last night with dinner. they also had loads of Jerusalem artichokes, which are hard to find. And that's just the beginning.

I'm doing a story on it for Gremolata, and will go back next week, too. So, I'll give up more goods soon.

Malcolm Jolley

Gremolata.com

I went in the fall. My first impression was that it was smaller than it was. I only saw the six or so fruit-and-veg stalls outside at first, and the few booths just inside the building by it. Eventually - happily - I discovered the other ten or so booths around the corner, in the main part of the building.  By late fall, preserves and baked goods were already dominating the selection.  The carrots were the tastiest thing I bought, the organic rice flour the most intriguing.

How was your expedition?

I didn't get to the bread - too popular! Couldn't wade through. My understanding, though, was the bread, foccacia, etc. (at least for sale that day) was from the communal wood burning ovens in the park.

Malcolm Jolley

Gremolata.com