• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Place to get a drink near Union Sta. or South Cap.

Hi all,

I'm meeting an old friend that I haven't seen for about fifteen years, while he's in town briefly for a wedding. We were planning to grab a drink quickly on Monday evening and he says he'll be close to the Union Sta. or Capitol South Metro stations. (I told him I'd be coming by Metro.) I don't know that area at all. Any suggestions on where to go, probably not to divey (don't think that's a problem in that area) and not to Ritzy? Maybe somewhere with some good snack-type food?

Thanks,

John

"If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat?"

Well, Tortilla Coast or Bullfeathers are across the street from Capitol South metro, and both fit the bar-plus-decent-snacky-food bill. Neither should be terribly crowded on Monday evening.

But, given the choice and assuming you've got enough time to walk a few blocks or ride one stop down the Blue or Orange line, you should go to Belga Cafe on 8th St. (maybe a block and a half from Eastern Market Metro).

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

If you're going to be around Union Station, my favorite standbys are The Dubliner and Kelly's Irish Times, which are both across the street and are pretty decent Irish pubs. I know Kelly's has Smithwick's on tap - not sure about the Dubliner. Irish Times is a little bit more law school crowd, whereas the Dubliner is a little nicer (but still an Irish pub, of course).

Otherwise you could go to Bistro Bis, which is just a little bit further - nice list of wines by the glass and the food is really good. I was there in January, and had one of the finest meals of my short dining life - the '00 Tablas Creek Esprit de Beaucastel was spectacular!

Best bets are probably the Dubliner, Capital City Brew Pub or Bistro Bis near Union Station, depending on your mood and your tatse in beverages and snacks.

If you're mostly drinking, you can just go to America in Union Station. The food won't blind you or anything, but I wouldn't go there if eating was a real priority.

(Hah. I note that Hannah has sent you to the other side of the hill. The House Side. Things are a little classier on the Senate Side). :biggrin:

Edited by Busboy (log)

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

(Hah. I note that Hannah has sent you to the other side of the hill.  The House Side.  Things are a little classier on the Senate Side). :biggrin:

That's as may be :raz:, but if you're over here with the Morlochs already it makes sense to stay over here, rather than trudge through the visitor center/tunnel construction on 1st St./East Cap to get over there. Margaritas, Bass, or Stella Artois plus lack of trudge > Guinness plus trudge.

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

If you're going to be around Union Station, my favorite standbys are The Dubliner and Kelly's Irish Times, which are both across the street and are pretty decent Irish pubs. I know Kelly's has Smithwick's on tap - not sure about the Dubliner. Irish Times is a little bit more law school crowd, whereas the Dubliner is a little nicer (but still an Irish pub, of course).

Otherwise you could go to Bistro Bis, which is just a little bit further - nice list of wines by the glass and the food is really good. I was there in January, and had one of the finest meals of my short dining life - the '00 Tablas Creek Esprit de Beaucastel was spectacular!

Isn't the Irish Times still a dive? Too bad if they cleaned it up, I spent many a fine hour there at one period in my life. It's mostly a blur, but I'm sure I'd recognize the smell. (Ask Nebergall if he knows what alarmingly bipartisan tax bill was saved by a well-timed pitcher of beer in the Times' back room.)

Also, if you want to play Senator/Power Broker spotting, head up to the Monocle near the Russell Senate building.

I'm on the pavement

Isn't the Irish Times still a dive?  Too bad if they cleaned it up, I spent many a fine hour there at one period in my life.  It's mostly a blur, but I'm sure I'd recognize the smell.  (Ask Nebergall if he knows what alarmingly bipartisan tax bill was saved by a well-timed pitcher of beer in the Times' back room.)

Also, if you want to play Senator/Power Broker spotting, head up to the Monocle near the Russell Senate building.

This happens at least twice a night at Bis.

An obviously out-of-town couple walks in. A look of relief washes over their faces. A quick scan of the room - yes, this is indeed an eating establishment. A cheery call of hello from the host stand.

"Can we take a look at the menu?"

"Certainly!"

A perfunctory look at the menu turns into a look of surprise as the entree prices begin to register. A furtive exchange of looks that says...hmmm....noooooo....not 10.75 for a steak tartare...white tablecloths...what the hell is steak tartare anyway? what should we do now?

"Do y'all know any, you know, casual places around here?"

"Certainly!" - the hostess trills brightly. "There's a place called "The Irish Times" on the other side of this block. Make three left turns and you're there."

Another look of relief at what is obviously a graceful way of out of an embarrassing situation as they shuffle out of the door.

A manager walks by. "What was that?"

"Another one for The Times."

"Oh. Right, then."

P.S.: Oh, Bis has a bar, too, and serves drinkies well into the night.

Resident Twizzlebum

FYI - Kickball season is starting up, and Irish Times sponsors divisions that play most weeknights, I believe. On those nights, the bar will be overrun with rowdy teams in brightly colored t-shirts playing flip-cup and other drinking games, from about 7:30 until closing. Consider yourselves warned.

(Ask Nebergall if he knows what alarmingly bipartisan tax bill was saved by a well-timed pitcher of beer in the Times' back room.)

I'm going to take a stab and guess the '86 Tax Act.

Indeed: the deal cut but Bradley and Packwood over (note food reference here) a pitcher of Harp Lager.

I'm on the pavement

Isn't there a bar in the Hyatt on NJ Ave near D? I seem to recall having a few drinks there and having a great view of the Capitol dome.

Also, what is the collective opinion on La Colline?

Oh yeah, and what's the deal with My Brother's Place?

Edited by Al_Dente (log)

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

On the upscale side there is La Colline (The Hill in French -- tres original). Been a long time since a lobbyist has taken me to lunch, but I think it's on D Street NE. They have a bar.

But I really second the Irish Times. If the weather is nice you can sit outside, and who cares if its divey inside.

Edited to respond to Mr. Dente who got posted while I was composing this -- La Colline is quintessentially a place where powerful lobbyists take powerful members (or their staffers) to be dined in a quintessentially "French" style. They do have a bar though.

Edited by FunJohnny (log)

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

My Brother's Place: It's a frathouse. Except you have to pay for drinks. The only time I've ever enjoyed that place is when I prepared myself ahead of time by going back in time mentally.

Much better for a bar is The Flying Scotsman next door. And their burgers are pretty good too.

(I believe both are on second, right next to the department of Labor)

K

Well, maybe divey isn't so bad either. I'm going to guess that the Irish Times is not REAL divey (i.e., windows bricked over, dancers in cages, tableside motorcycle parking) and assume that it's more cute-divey (i.e, has a smoking section, staff wear t-shirts and doesn't throw out a menu when it gets a small beer stain on the corner) and go with that one. I've been feeling rather poor these last 33 years or so, and IT sounds more like my price range. Thanks for your suggestions everyone!

-John

Well, maybe divey isn't so bad either.  I'm going to guess that the Irish Times is not REAL divey (i.e., windows bricked over, dancers in cages, tableside motorcycle parking) and assume that it's more cute-divey (i.e, has a smoking section, staff wear t-shirts and doesn't throw out a menu when it gets a small beer stain on the corner) and go with that one.  I've been feeling rather poor these last 33 years or so, and IT sounds more like my price range.  Thanks for your suggestions everyone!

-John

Don't be messin' with the The Times. Since I've stopped working on the Hill it may have cleaned up some -- and every year there are fewer grunge-types and blue-collar workers around that neighborhood -- but one thing it never was was cute, or the product of a marketing plan. (I can see it now "next, we'll break the urinals because people love coming out of the gent's with wet feet. And no more emptying the ashtrays.") The smoking section was the whole place, the bartenders wore t-shirts because that's what they woke up in that morning, and I did see a pretty good strip show in the back room once, but it was for a party, not a regular event.

Edited to add: But if Nadya's sending tourists there, maybe they have had a makeover. Although places like the Zoo Bar do successfully combine the smell of tourist moolah with that of smoke and stale beer.

Edited by Busboy (log)

I'm on the pavement

i'll second the recommendation on the flying scotsman. i'm guessing or assuming that you will want to communicate with one another without putting innocent vocal cords under undue strain. if this be the case, the scotsman has a knockout one-two punch of being both: large and, usually, fairly empty.

should tummies begin to rumble after imbibing of their extensive scotch selection, lamb shank and scotch eggs (nothing soaks up scotch better than scotch) will surely put an end to gastrointestinal mutiny.

there is no love sincerer than the love of food

- george bernard shaw

i feel like love is in the kitchen with a culinary eye, think she's making something special and i'm smart enough to try

- interpol

I wasn't trying to mess, I was just trying to be funny and to point out that one person's divey (divy?) is another person's casual. I'm sure I'll get better at this by the time my number of posts gets up to a more respectable four digits. :)

man, i can't remember the last time i was the times. . i wonder if pete is still playing music on friday and saturday nights. . .he had a real creepy grin at random times during songs.

as for dive places. . .can't beat tune inn. high life on draft. . .they used to have busch lite on draft too, if i remember correctly.