• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Reasonable but good sushi

*Deborah*

the food was a bit different than expected.  Not that this is a bad thing (food, not communication), just different. As an example, the dynamite rolls are not fried and served rolled in corn flakes as I recall. I think they tasted oka - good, not great but can't quite recall specifics.

No fryer + cornflakes = dynamite roll Aji-sai style! :biggrin:

I'm not big on dynamite rolls so this is not an issue for me.

Edited by Tough Cookie (log)

If you like smaller sushi places on a tight budget but with decent to excellent sushi there are two that come to mind.

Toshi, 16th and Main:

It's small, with roughly 30 (packed) seats and a small bar for another 8. Expect a lineup virtually any time you go there (they normally don't take reservations) from 5 minutes to 30. The inerior is newly decorated and the atmosphere is a friendly solid homstyle, if somewhat busy. What struck me was the ammount of staff, 3 sushi chefs, 2 (visible) in the kitchen and 3-4 people waiting on the tables.

The sortiment is not very distinguished, but everything they have is very good. Make sure to try the agadashi tofu (spicy) almost too crisp at the beginning but perfect after a minutes soaking in the sauce. The houseroll is divine, not the usual supersized lets see how much we can fit in one roll style, more like a spiced up crab roll with a layer of ripe buttery avocado on top. Also give the weekly specials a try, a roll with mango might not be everybodys favorite, but well worth a try.

Prices are VERY reasonable and the staff is friendly. Also notable is the ammount of japanese that eat there, always a good sign in my understanding.

Shushi Garden, KingsWay oposite of Metrotown (Burnaby)

Should you be in the area, give this place a try. Once again a rather small place (some 25 seats) and a constant small lineup is to be expected. It is a perfectly balanced midrange sushi place. Prices are in the 1-4 dollar range for sushi and 8-11 for sashimi, with some of the largest portions of good sushi I've encountered.

The spicy tuna combo is the one dish to try there.

Not the best sushi place, but so well balanced on price, service, atmosphere, amount and taste that we tend to visit there even if it's a bit out of our way.

I hope my initial post will help this thread along on finding the good to excellent midrange sushi places around Vancouver

After last night, I would give my vote to Japone. I know it's way the hell out of your way Deborah, but if you have car you should travel.

Asozzi (I'll leave the official greetings to DA - but welcome - oops Deborah beat me to it), there's another small place near Metrotown that I used to frequent when I worked in the area. It's called Kura, in the building beside the GVRD. Haven't been for years but at the time it was my favourite sushi place in town. Great sized nigiri, and fresh! Any recent visitors?

• 1 year later...

Wanna add another awesome sushi place in Davie area:

Kadoya Japanese Restaurant (Davie & Thurlow)

1063 Davie Street - (604) 608-1115

Great sushi, reasonable price, and lots of very creative rolls.

Chemically speaking, chocolate really is the world's perfect food. --Michael Levine, nutrition researcher

I will second the Toshi suggestion as well as recommend

Sushiyama

Broadway - about 3 blocks east of main (Orange sign)

- Yes it sounds cheesey

- Yes it is kinda Ghetto looking

- But the people are friendly, the chef is masterful and the food is cheap

- If you order the Dragon Roll or any of their specialty rolls, the chef makes a show of the presentation.

Octopus Garden is fairly cheap as well and also really good with wonderful presentation (Cornwall by Burrard)

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

Wanna add another awesome sushi place in Davie area:

Kadoya Japanese Restaurant  (Davie & Thurlow)

1063 Davie Street - (604) 608-1115

Great sushi, reasonable price, and lots of very creative rolls.

I used to agree. But my last (and final) visit there was pretty bad. Details: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=76613&st=35

Cheers!

Kadoya Sushi on Davie close to Thurlow. We just tried this place the first time a few weeks ago and then went again this last Tuesday. Very fresh Sushi, interesting and inventive rolls, and reasonable prices. A definite good alternative to Samurai just up the street when there is a long line.

My standard go-to for cheap yet really good sushi downtown is Oysi Oysi, on Alberni near the Wendy's/Tim Hortons.

It has really good specials (check out the amazing sashimi boat with tuna, salmon, hokkigai, amaebi, and tai for just $16.88), and serves a good variety of Japanese and Chinese cooked food as well as the sushi.

I cannot understand the love for Toshi...their rolls are jacked with mayo which is quite disgusting.

An old German proverb has it: "Der eine liebt die Tochter und der andere die Mutter"

Translation: One loves the daughter, and the other the mother.

Might want to read the health report at Toshi:  http://www.foodinspectionweb.vcha.ca/Inspe...A8-005004AE1145

Cheers!

Meh, if i read the health report on all the places I eat at I'd be starving ;) Banana Leaf has been shut down twice I think but I still love it there :biggrin:

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

I cannot understand the love for Toshi...their rolls are jacked with mayo which is quite disgusting. They have good tuna and salmon but their rolls are very sub par.

Solution: don't order the rolls.

I get their nigiri. I love it!

album of the moment: Kelley Polar - I Need You To Hold On While The Sky Is Falling - 2008

Kilala Sushi Bar on Hastings just east of Willingdon:

"My friend told me that the Japanese Consulate orders sushi from Kilala Sushi Bar. I asked the hostess whether this is true, and she was very modest about it, but said that yes, the Japanese Consulate does actually order sushi from them. This is not something that they advertise, or would even tell you unless you knew to ask".