• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NY Critic Sizes up Pizzas in Seattle

I sent an email to Nancy Leson asking her to give Pazzo's a try and she said she would.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

unmentioned in the piece is that the Seattle section of the book was contributed by ... Nancy Leson.

i was not a fan of her picks, which were pretty much where she took Levine on their little pizza voyage.

unmentioned in the piece is that the Seattle section of the book was contributed by ... Nancy Leson.

i was not a fan of her picks, which were pretty much where she took Levine on their little pizza voyage.

where, then?

So glad he at least "tipped his hat" to Cafe Lago's pizza! I assume he already knows their pizza, so it was not included in this article(?)

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Actually, it was...............

Levine tapped other opinionated pizza lovers for contributions to "A Slice of Heaven." Chefs like Mario Batali, humorists like Nora Ephron and restaurant critics (including yours truly) who shared pizza memories and singled out great pizza joints in their respective cities.

Since the article was written by Nancy Leson, I assume "yours truly" refers to her.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

Pffft. Piecora's wishes they could carry Hot Mama's pizza stones.

Neener,

Pat

The Hot Mama's vs. Piecora's battle could go either way, IMO. Hot Mama's crusts are to die for (in the NY Pizza tradition), but alas, they use those frozen sausage pellets that just depress me.

Piecora's, in my experience, tends to be a bit off and on. But their pizza is much better on location than delivered. I'm still not sure why that is.

-Kate

-----------

My food blog:

Accidental Hedonist - Food, travel and other irrelevent irreverence

Pffft. Piecora's wishes they could carry Hot Mama's pizza stones.

Neener,

Pat

The Hot Mama's vs. Piecora's battle could go either way, IMO. Hot Mama's crusts are to die for (in the NY Pizza tradition), but alas, they use those frozen sausage pellets that just depress me.

Piecora's, in my experience, tends to be a bit off and on. But their pizza is much better on location than delivered. I'm still not sure why that is.

True about the pellets, I agree, those things suck. I wish they'd use real sausage. I tend to forget they do that because I'm always ordering their veggie slices. Hot Mama's is the only pizza place where I actually prefer veg instead of meat because I don't want any meat to get in the way of that delicious crust!

But Piecora's... I dunno, maybe I've just been getting them on bad days, but the wonderbready crust is as depressing as HM's sausage pellets. I used to like them around 7 years ago and got their slices regularly back then, but I've had far too many wonderbread crusts to make it worthwhile anymore.

Pat

"I... like... FOOD!" -Red Valkyrie, Gauntlet Legends-

Since the article was written by Nancy Leson, I assume "yours truly" refers to her.

funny, i didn't notice that the first three times i read through it. in any case, it's not a particularly helpful disclaimer.

i'm astounded she took him to Piecora's. i know she's a Pagliacci fan (i know many people are Pagliacci fans) but i just don't think it's in the realm of the pizzas he personally rates in his book. Levine is very, very strict about crust and tomatoes, and i parsed from her article that he was trying to be charitable: "Levine says the sauce could stand to lose some sweetness, but 'this crust is much better than Piecora's.'"

the "tipping his hat" graf is hard to parse. did Levine actually mention those places, or did Nancy fill them in herself?

would have been intresting to take him to Via Tribunali. and i'm just jaw-dropped she didn't take him to Lago, unless this was a mid-day pizza sojourn.

of course, you should see what he says about Boston pizza. ouch!