• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Capitol Hill Farmers Market moving?

The one actually running is not the one on the website (which will open in May).

[edit]

Here's something I found about the year round one currently running:

http://www.zwire.com/site/tab7.cfm?newsid=...&rfi=6&xb=titot

(go to http://www.bugmenot.com if it asks you to register)

Edited by laurel (log)

According to organizer Jon Hegeman, who founded the Fremont Sunday Market, the Capitol Hill market is moving because of the general perception that its current location near Broadway is intimidating and thus keeps people away.

"It's not seen as a place to visit. It's unfortunate...but it's understandable," Hegeman said.

Who are these people who find Broadway intimidating? I walk it about six times a day, and have been hanging out on Broadway with my daughter since she was born. This "general perception" is just bizarre.

I hope it's a good market for those near Madison. We'll definitely hit the new Broadway farmers market on Sundays, thought I expect we'll still go to U-District since it's a fun Saturday morning outing.

Hungry Monkey May 2009

Yeah, I'd like to find these people who think Broadway is intimidating, knock them over the head, and take their wallets.

It's all relative, I suppose. I have yet to go anywhere in Seattle where I didn't feel safe. But perhaps that because I moved here from a good neighborhood in DC, where good meant the nearest crack house was more than two blocks away.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

I dunno, the concept of typical Seattleites being intimidated by the Broadway neighborhood doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. For one thing, isn't the market that's about to move currently across the street from Seattle Central Community College? Seems like tons of students pour in and out of that school daily without being intimidated by the neighborhood. And that location's just down the street from the huge QFC at the corner with Pike--I'd hardly think QFC would have invested the huge amount of buckos for that building if they thought there'd be a problem with customers staying away because they disliked the area.

Plus ... well, this may be my own biased impression, but I would think the typical Seattleite customer for an urban farmer's market would be sophisticated enough to not be particularly weirded out by any of Broadway's more colorful frequenters.

This older article in the Stranger makes for some interesting reading, not so much for what it says as for what it implies about the sequence of events with the Fremont-sponsored market versus this new "replacement" market. Methinks the real issue is that the Fremont-sponsored market just didn't like the competition of this "new" market that has apparently been on the drawing boards for awhile now. But then, I do tend to have a suspicious mind that way ... :smile: (Especially since I lived in Seattle for over ten years before I moved down here to SoCal, several of which were spent living in Capitol Hill just blocks from all this action.)

According to organizer Jon Hegeman, who founded the Fremont Sunday Market, the Capitol Hill market is moving because of the general perception that its current location near Broadway is intimidating and thus keeps people away.

"It's not seen as a place to visit. It's unfortunate...but it's understandable," Hegeman said.

Who are these people who find Broadway intimidating?

The only time I'm intimidated on Capital Hill is when I am in a car and have to find parking :biggrin:

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

Plus ... well, this may be my own biased impression, but I would think the typical Seattleite customer for an urban farmer's market would be sophisticated enough to not be particularly weirded out by any of Broadway's more colorful frequenters.

Maybe it's the farmers who are intimidated, since they probably don't see panhandlers and junkies out on their farms. But then if they go to the other markets, like UDist, it shouldn't be that much of a shock...