• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Soft Shells....in NJ???

Where can I get some fresh soft shell crabs?? Tis the season to be jolly :biggrin:

So it's time for soft shell sandwiches. Will travel for fresh crabs :biggrin:

Cheers

Tom

I want food and I want it now

From past experience I've found that the last two weeks of April bring the 1st good batch of Soft Shell's the you have to wait until Memorial Day weekend for a batch that's equal. Late June begins the next cycle running through July. I don't serve Soft Shell's after that because the last few years I find the quality lacking.

I asked about them at Whole Foods in Millburn yesterday and was told they'd have them in a few weeks. The guy at the fish counter said they were available, but were too expensive for them to sell.

Had to laugh at the idea that something was too expensive for those guys to sell...

I asked about them at Whole Foods in Millburn yesterday and was told they'd have them in a few weeks. The guy at the fish counter said they were available, but were too expensive for them to sell.

Had to laugh at the idea that something was too expensive for those guys to sell...

[/quote

I just spoke to pal at Freeman's Fish Market, who said the same thing. You see them in the market, but their costs is around $72 a dozen!! I'd venture to say, that there's alot of soft shell crabs dying at the Fulton fish Market at those prices!!

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85