• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spring Radishes

DRColby

My wife loves radishes so we put a couple of rows in the Spring garden.

Now they are ready for the wife and worms to share.

I have never been a pull-and-eatfradish fan; even the baby ones seem hot to me.

Any recipe suggestions I might try, or should I just supply the neighbors? The neighbors, woms and birds aready eat too well out of the garden.

dave

I am always surprised at how good a simple, sliced, radish sandwich can taste. Butter, S&P on white.

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

Slice and use in fish tacos

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Greenwich st tried the braised radishes in the Braising with Molly thread here. I have never heard of such a thing and took a look at the recipe. It is really just cooking them in a covered skillet with butter, chicken stock, a bit of sugar, s&p. Then you take the lid off and let them glaze. I guess I have never eaten a cooked radish. Now I am curious.

Last year about this time, the radishes were really pretty and their greens were prettier. My sister was over and we were playing with my new toy, a Kitchen Aid food processer. She had snapped up a couple of bunches of radishes because of the greens. We made a pesto in the mini-bowl with the greens, a little garlic, lemon juice and olive oil. It was great spread on saltines.

I second the radish sandwiches and fish tacos.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Last year the radishes got to me, I thought they were so pretty. And I had no idea what to do with radishes, except to use them as garnishes. So I looked up "radish" on epicurious, and I was amazed at all the recipes that came up using radishes as the main ingredient of a dish. Give it a try. Unfortunately, my curiousity ended at that point and I never tried any of the recipes. :sad: But there's always this year!

Also, someone here (I think it was NulloMundo?) mentioned using radishes instead of potatoes to make hash browns. I haven't done it, but it sounds like a great idea.

I stumbled on this the other day, when I was hungry and it was about 4 pm so I didn't want a meal. I opened the fridge and there it was, the beautiful piece of Brillat-Savarin I had bought the week before. Perfect, I thought. But what to have it with or on? No crackers in the house, no good bread. But a lovely bunch of radishes. So I sliced a radish thin, salted the slices lightly, and put a smear of Brillat-Savarin on each slice. Enjoyed with a martini. It was heavenly.

I picked up some North Sea mackerel fillets andthink I will grill those tonight and try the quartered radish sauteed in butter with chives as someone suggested. Maybe a salad or some rice to accompany.

Have a nice Spanish red to go with all that.

Will let you know if my opinion of the red and whites changes. Yes, they are pretty.

Dave

Meal last night okay, not one to repeat.

Sauted radishes seemed to take on a root crop (which I guess they are) type of taste and texture.

Perhaps tonight well try again, pickle some and try in salad. Works with daikon radishes.

dave

I stirred the leaves of a bunch of radishes into a moroccan aubergine-meatball stew tonight. Delicious!

( the radishes from that bunch, I will take to work with me tomorrow to eat alongside my cheese sandwich. mmm..)

I enjoy a salad of equal parts sliced radish and cucumber lightly dressed with a little toasted sesame oil, safflower oil, rice wine vinegar and salt.

Tobin

It is all about respect; for the ingredient, for the process, for each other, for the profession.

Of late, I have been enjoying sandwiches of brannola bread with mascarpone cheese, sliced radishes and S&P.

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

• 1 month later...

While I'm waiting for other's thoughts on radishes, I'll admit my favorite way to eat radishes (I'm talking the small garden variety here, not the larger daikons and so forth) is to slice them in half or thinner and put them on buttered bread. Heaven! When bread and butter are not part of a day's plans I dress them with a simple sesame oil/green onion/rice vinegar concoction. Chopped cilantro if available is an nice addition...

cg

gotta love radishes and butter...

Here' another thread re: ideas for radishes from earlier this spring: click

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Sliced thin (a food processor comes in handy here), and, in my mother's style, mixed with sour cream, chopped scallions and Lawrey's Seasoned Salt.

My variation: make the dressing with labnee or drained yogurt, add chopped chives and dill plus freshly ground black pepper and Spike Seasoned Salt.

Half labnee and half sour cream or half yogurt and half sour cream is also good and practically indistinguishable from all SC. A tablespoon of mayo is also nice.

A wonderful concept from another forum: Radish (tender green leaves attached) seared in olive oil til tender, white onion cooked slowly in olive oil and a bit of water, truffles, olive oil and traditional balsamique vinegar.

eGullet member #80.

I actually just picked the first batch of french breakfast radishes from my garden over the weekend. After a quick chill in the fridge it was served with some soft sweet butter and some good sea salt. Wash it all down with a good pilsner, mmmm tasty.

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

This is not exactly a raddish recipe, but it was my breakfast this morning:

Leftover marinated flanksteak sliced very thin

Homade bread w/lotsa butter

A ton of sliced raddishes

Breakfast of Champions!

"the only thing we knew for sure about henry porter was that his name wasn't henry porter" : bob