• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

cream cheese icing / frosting (inc buttercream)

fiftydollars

One thing I didn't consider is maybe all that sugar in icing would retard bacterial growth. Maybe. I dunno. My response was based primarily on the fact that the USDA/FDA says that "It's particularly important to keep custards, cream pies, and cakes with whipped-cream or cream-cheese frostings refrigerated" and "don't serve them if refrigeration is not possible." I've never kept a cake with cheese icing out at room temp for a long time, so I have no personal experience here.

Edited by Patrick S (log)

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

I was just looking at the recipe again and it says the frosted cupcakes can be stored in an airtight container for 2 days at room temperature. Who knows?!

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

I've never kept a cake with cheese icing out at room temp for a long time, so I have no personal experience here.

I have... 3-5 days in a cake safe sitting on top of the kitchen counter here at the house. Cream cheese icing is our favorite and none of us have gotten sick yet.

Di

Any difference between a processed cream cheese like Philly which has preservatives in it vs. a more natural cream cheese without gum, etc?

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

One thing I didn't consider is maybe all that sugar in icing would retard bacterial growth. Maybe. I dunno. My response was based primarily on the fact that the USDA/FDA says that "It's particularly important to keep custards, cream pies, and cakes with whipped-cream or cream-cheese frostings refrigerated" and "don't serve them if refrigeration is not possible." I've never kept a cake with cheese icing out at room temp for a long time, so I have no personal experience here.

We get visited a couple of times a year at the earthy crunchy groceria by an outside sanitation auditing outfit and I asked the question about our buttercream, which is sometimes left at room temp. The technician said it was ok, because of all the sugar and the low moisture content, but he also memorably said, "Don't confuse food safety with food quality."

I've never kept a cake with cheese icing out at room temp for a long time, so I have no personal experience here.

I have... 3-5 days in a cake safe sitting on top of the kitchen counter here at the house. Cream cheese icing is our favorite and none of us have gotten sick yet.

That's good to know. Whenever I make a cake with cream cheese frosting, I have to clear a bunch of junk out of the frige to make room for a cake container. Next time I won't bother with that.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Just a word of warning re: cream cheese icing:

While it is unlikely that an otherwise healthy person would become sick after eating cream cheese icing that has been at room temperature for some time, the risk is still a concern for immunocompromised people. For a normal person, all the sugar in the icing would most likely act as a slight preservative. However, for someone who's undergoing cancer treatment or has HIV, those low levels of "harmless" bacteria can be quite dangerous, even lethal.

Just the doctor part of me breaking out. I'll get off my soapbox now.

Just a word of warning re: cream cheese icing: 

While it is unlikely that an otherwise healthy person would become sick after eating cream cheese icing that has been at room temperature for some time, the risk is still a concern for immunocompromised people.  For a normal person, all the sugar in the icing would most likely act as a slight preservative.  However, for someone who's undergoing cancer treatment or has HIV, those low levels of "harmless" bacteria can be quite dangerous, even lethal. 

Just the doctor part of me breaking out.  I'll get off my soapbox now.

Oops! My cream cheese frosted Wendy's banana cake just went into the refrigerator. Thank you.

Pat w.

I would live all my life in nonchalance and insouciance

Were it not for making a living, which is rather a nouciance.

-- Ogden Nash

http://bluestembooks.com/

• 2 weeks later...

In contemplating my birthday cake which will be RLB's banana cake with a rum-laced cream cheese icing, I was thinking about assembly, and how lovely it would be in open layers (so icing between the layers and on top, but not on the sides). Except that cream cheese frosting isn't billowy the same way that buttercream is, and to put enough frosting between the layers to make it seen would make the cake way too rich.

So I got to thinking (always dangerous) about the idea of replacing some (or all) of the butter in a traditional Italian meringue buttercream with cream cheese. You'd get the tang of a cream cheese icing but the volume of an Italian meringue. I know it wouldn't set up as firm in the fridge because cream cheese doesn't get as hard as butter does, but would that be a problem?

Am I nuts? This has got to have been tried before. I want your opinions before I go out and buy a pound of cream cheese and thaw out some egg whites.

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

When I was a pastry chef.... we used to blend pastry cream into a butter cream frosting.. to lighten it.

It was fabulous and I used it on my carrot cakes.

I have also used cream cheese lightened with whipped cream and then added gelatin to help it set up for a pie, still one of my favorites!

I've added cream cheese to French Buttercream and it was lovely, particularly because the tang of the cream cheese makes it not so sweet. I'm curious as to how the Italian would work...I say just go for it! :biggrin: Be sure to let us know how it turns out!

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

I have done it to Italian meringue buttercream. It did work but it took a long time to come together in the mixer. I can't remember how much I added, but I do remember that I added some melted white chocolate to firm it up a bit. It was delicious, but I was frustrated by the angst of it not coming together as easily as plain buttercrean. Just turn the mixer on high and walk away!

I would run the cream cheese through the robo coupe with a little cream until it got really smooth & then add it to my buttercream. Or..you could try omitting half of the butter & replacing it with cream chz but cream them together before adding it to your meringue.

OK, here's what I did:

8 oz. sugar

4 oz. water

4 oz. egg whites

Standard Italian meringue procedure - bring sugar to soft ball stage. Whip whites to stiff peaks. Add sugar. Whip until cool.

Then I whipped together with my hand blender:

8 oz. cream cheese (very soft)

2 oz. butter

I whipped these until they were smooth.

When the meringue was cool, I started adding the cream cheese/butter mixture. I kept whipping.

And whipping.

And whipping.

It was very soupy, so I figured some time in the fridge wouuld help it.

Now, after much more whipping, I have a soupy, curdled mess. I've added 2 more oz. of butter, hoping to salvage it and pull it together, but no luck.

Any suggestions? It tastes great, btw. If I can get it to come together, it will be fantastic.

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

One thing I know about cream cheese......once you add sugar to it, it "soups out".

So I'm guessing that cream cheese+sugar+meringue would be quite soupy indeed.

I don't believe the meringue is that stable or strong enough to support the cream cheese.

I believe you need a higher percentage of butter for it to come together.

I've made light cream cheese frostings by whipping together powdered sugar and butter, then adding cream cheese to that mixture and whipping. The more cream cheese you add, the heavier and soupier it gets......so the key is not to add a whole lot of cream cheese.

I've never tried a meringue type cream cheese icing......didn't even really know one that existed.

Maybe there's a reason they don't....... :wink:

But.......you might try to salvage what you have by adding even more butter (I don't think 2 oz was enough). That may work.

So now there's a total of 8 oz. of butter in the mess, with really not much change. I've given up for the day and thrown it into the fridge. I don't know what I'm hoping will change overnight, but I hate to throw it out just yet.

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

I think maybe to be successful next time you have to have a larger percentage of butter to cream cheese......like maybe 4 oz of cream cheese to 8 oz butter. As it stands right now, you have a 1:1 cream cheese to butter. You may have to bag the meringue thing altogether, but

I hope you don't. I adore light billowy icings myself........ :smile:

Speaking of soupy, and the other discussion awhile back about leaving a cream cheese frosting out for some time, and it's okay to do that. With discretion of course. Because I was quite cautious about using crean cheese as a filling/ or frosting....

Makes me want to make some either carrot cake, banana cake, or maybe red velvet w/ the cream cheese frosting.

What's your best recipe for a firm, not soupy cream cheese frosting?

What's your best recipe for a firm, not soupy cream cheese frosting?

What I've always done is throw some butter, powdered sugar, a little vanilla, and some lemon juice in the mixer and cream until smooth. Then I add cream cheese a little at a time til it's the consistency I want. I have always found that firmer cream cheese icings have more butter than cream cheese in them. Too much cream cheese=soupy.

8 oz. cream cheese

1 stick of butter

4 Cups/1 lb. XXX sugar

Vanilla can be added... but I prefer the c.c. flavor to take center stage

Cream together the c.c. and butter. Add the sugar and mix well. Very spreadable; works well for piping. Never soupy.

Di

8 oz. cream cheese

1 stick of butter

4 Cups/1 lb. XXX sugar

Cream together the c.c. and butter. Add the sugar and mix well. Very spreadable; works well for piping. Never soupy.

Just one observation......if you mix the powdered sugar and butter together first, you don't have to worry about lumps, and you don't have to sift the powdered sugar. I hate sifting if I don't have to. If you add powdered sugar to the creamed butter and cream cheese, make sure you sift first.

8 oz. cream cheese

1 stick of butter

4 Cups/1 lb. XXX sugar

Just one observation......if you mix the powdered sugar and butter together first, you don't have to worry about lumps, and you don't have to sift the powdered sugar. I hate sifting if I don't have to. If you add powdered sugar to the creamed butter and cream cheese, make sure you sift first.

Great advice but I've never messed with sifting... and never have any lumps. Of course, now that I've said it, that'll probably change tomorrow. :raz:

Di

• 5 months later...

Can I substitute half cream cheese for the butter in a buttercream? The bride I'm doing a wedding cake for wants cream cheese frosting, but I'd rather have the consistency of a buttercream. I've asked two pastry friends their opinions so far and they have both said yes.

Any reasons why I wouldn't be able to? Or any other suggestions?

The cake will be out at room temp for maybe 4-5 hours.