• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

cream cheese icing / frosting (inc buttercream)

fiftydollars

Can I substitute half cream cheese for the butter in a buttercream?  The bride I'm doing a wedding cake for wants cream cheese frosting, but I'd rather have the consistency of a buttercream.  I've asked two pastry friends their opinions so far and they have both said yes.

Any reasons why I wouldn't be able to?  Or any other suggestions? 

The cake will be out at room temp for maybe 4-5 hours.

you have already asked two pastry friends for their advice. they gave it to you. these are people you know. id say its a fair bet that they know what they are talking about if they are in the business.

you will most likely get the same answer here that they gave you.

while ive never done it myself, i do know people in the business who tell me that you can.

on here two names come to mind that really are in the best position to answer it because im sure they have most likely ised the method at some time in their careers, and they are wendy and ann. i cant remember their screen names here for sure, but one of them is chefpeon, i just cant remember which one has that handle. at a wild guess id say its ann, but i might be wrong.... :laugh:

a recipe is merely a suggestion

To a regular IMBC or SMBC recipe I just whip in 250g cream cheese and it makes for a terrific icing. I like the tang of the cream cheese to be tamed by the butter in the recipe; nice flavour. I also add 1 Tbsp. almond extract but you could of course omit that.

Don't worry about cream cheese being left at room temp...there's so much salt in the cheese it's actually foodsafe at room temp for a week or so. It would dry out before it went bad.

To a regular IMBC or SMBC recipe I just whip in 250g cream cheese and it makes for a terrific icing.

That's 250g of cream cheese to how much IMBC??

Sorry....it's a standard buttercream....5 yolks, lb. of butter, etc. I've never measured the finished recipe to give a yield.

To a regular IMBC or SMBC recipe I just whip in 250g cream cheese and it makes for a terrific icing.

Sorry....it's a standard buttercream....5 yolks, lb. of butter, etc. I've never measured the finished recipe to give a yield.

I think that would yield about a quart.

Thanks, I'll have to try it out... I just wanted a basic ratio of BC to cream cheese. Sounds good!!

Don't waste your time or time will waste you - Muse

• 4 months later...

Ha! How pathetic that I haven't found the time to try it... I actually thought this was a new thread until I saw my comments!! I will post once I've finally tried it. Has anyone else tried it?

Don't waste your time or time will waste you - Muse

Okay, I couldn't stand it any longer... just finished making a batch, adding an 8 oz. pkg of cream cheese to Chefette's previously posted IMBC. All I can say is O. M. G. This is the most awesome Cream Cheese Icing I've ever tasted!! :wub:

Di

Okay, I couldn't stand it any longer... just finished making a batch, adding an 8 oz. pkg of cream cheese to Chefette's previously posted IMBC.  All I can say is O. M. G.  This is the most awesome Cream Cheese Icing I've ever tasted!! :wub:

Di

Can you please add a link to Chefette's recipe?

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Can you please add a link to Chefette's recipe?

Y'know, actually I lied :blush: ... oops, it wasn't Chefette's recipe afterall. Sorry about that.

Turns out that the recipe I use is by Jacques Torres:

16 oz. sugar and 1/2 C. water, cooked to hard ball stage. Add to 6 whipped egg whites, then toss in 20 oz. of butter, cubed. To this I also added the 8 oz. cream cheese at the same time as the butter.

Di

Edited by DiH (log)

Here's mine, if anybody wants it. I've changed Nick's recipe slightly with the method and because I use salted butter, because I primarily make wedding cakes. His recipe calls for unsalted butter plus adding a pinch of salt, and I suppose mine ends up less sweet tasting because of the extra salt in the recipe from the salted butter to counter sweetness.

3/4 cup egg whites (about 5 large eggs)

1 1/2 cups / 300 g. granulated sugar

1 lb. / 454 g. salted butter, softened

1 tsp. Vanilla

8 oz. / 250 g. cream cheese, softened (I use Philly)

Whisk whites and sugar together with a hand whisk and heat, whisking continuously, over the top of a double boiler until the mixture is HOT, about 130 degrees.

Remove bowl and beat egg mixture on MEDIUM speed until cooled down, about 5 minutes, until the eggs are forming stiff peaks and the mixture and bowl are cool to the touch.

On LOW speed, add butter in 10-12 additions until smooth and blended and mixture is light and fluffy.

Increase speed to HIGH and continue beating for another 5 minutes; the volume will double. When completed, add the vanilla or any other flavourings and just blend to incorporate.

At this point you have regular buttercream; you can stop, or you can add in the softened cream cheese and blend on LOW until incorporated, about 3 minutes.

Edited to add: I also add 1 Tbsp. almond extract at the end when I make this as cream cheese icing..... the almond tends to accentuate the tang of the cheese.

Edited by Sugarella (log)