• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Au Moulin De La Gorce

cookatlarge

Hi,

I'm a cooking student from Montreal,QC, and am Venturing out to Chef Pierre Bertrands 1 Michelin starred "Au Moulin de la Gorce" this summer on a 3 month kitchen stage, just wondering if anyone has eatin or worked thier that would like to share some comments on what it's like and location, thanks

I have not dined there. It's in a very bucolic setting in Haue Vienne near Limoges famous for it's IMO gaudy porcelaine. You will also be near, a place you must visit, Ordour sur-Glane, a village that was destroyed by the Germans and only a fw survivers. It is left in its sorry state as a memorial, less we forget.

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly....MFK Fisher

I assume it's Limoges whose porcelain you find gaudy, and the Moulin de la Gorce. Quite frankly I don't remember their porcelain at all. I do remember a lovely dinner however. It was quite some time ago, but I've always wanted to go back for the food and the setting. It is one of the most bucolic settings I could imagine, let alone have seen.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

I am not qualified to comment on the relative merits of Limoges porcelain, but I can't over-speak our experience staying one night in the pastoral setting of Moulin de la Gorce. Our private little cottage had a stream gurgling right under it which was a part of the little lake that operated the ancient mill. The restaurant was outstanding. We wondered how it could attract anyone in such a remote location but at dinner it was completely full. This place had been recommended to us by the people in Cancale who run the great restaurant and hotel of Roellinger.

Sorry I didn't make myself clear, Not the Moulin or it's plates that are gaudy.

I was mentioning where the Moulin is located near Limoges and its product :)

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly....MFK Fisher