• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Professional pastry pictures

ohmyganache

No ice water. Just a container such as a 1 gallon bucket filled with small ice cubes (no large lumps). Heat and melt the isomolt (I used about 3/4 cup) then pour into the center of the top of the ice cubes. Let set a couple of minutes and gently remove the sculpture from the bucket. Let the entrapped ice cubes melt just enough to remove. Let the sculpture dry for a bit and decorate. I usually do mine the morning of use or even the day before.

Fred Rowe

Here are some photos of a frozen dessert the I did for a foodie BAR BQ recently.  The toping is made with isomolt sugar poured into a container of ice. 

Gorgeous dessert Fwed! Looks delicious too! I'd forgotten about that ice technique. I've used it with colored white chocolate for making coral but never tried it with isomalt...something new to try...thanks!

Fwed

I am curious as to your nougat layer. It looks crumbly, i assume due to the addition of the macarons. What exactly is it, how/what did you do?

btw, your macarons look beautiful! Do you use anyone in particular's recipe?

also, how in the world did you take a frozen dessert to a bbq? :wacko:

How did it not melt on the way, or while eating the rest of the meal? Where you at somone's home where you could keep in in the freezer until last minute?

thanks!

I like to cook with wine. Sometimes I even add it to the food.

Beautiful, Fred! The other thing besides the exoctic orange cake that has been on my mind since the forum last year is that red moon. (and the strawberry bread)I'm sooo wishing I lived in Seattle right now. And the chocolates have looked great too. Wow!

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

Thanks everyone.

Simdelish: The macaroons were from a recipe in Gisslen's book "Professional Baking" and help from notes taken in a topic here in the baking and pastry forum.

Click here!

Some of the macaroons were chopped up and put into the Bombe mixture at the center of the confection. They remained somewhat crunchy for a couple of days. The original recipe was very simple and came from a magazine called "Sunset Magazine" in 1970. I made it a few times then and put the article away in a folder. I found it the other day and decided to redo it and update it.

As to the transportation to the event. The day before the event I made the macaroons I also made and glazed the two bombs. The day of the event I made the isomolt piece, packed the frozen bombes into a cooler lined with dry ice, and drove across town to the event site. The desserts were placed in a freezer until time to serve them. I placed the macaroons and the decorated sugar piece on the desserts as you see them just before serving. By the time I served them they had softened just enough for eating.

Edited to add something that I forgot the first time around.

Edited by FWED (log)

Fred Rowe

• 2 months later...

I'm now responsible for the Sunday Brunch every week. That means there will be lots of new pix every week!

For some reason the pictures all came out blurry... sorry bout that. Enjoy!

DSC02013.JPG

Trio of Pots de Creme... Chocolate, Vanilla, and Pistachio

DSC02014.JPG

Chocolate Pecan Tarts and Fresh Fruit Tarts

DSC02015.JPG

Caramel Floating Islands

DSC02017.JPG

Cherry Frangipane Tart with Hazelnut Streusel

DSC02018.JPG

Canneles... oooh these came out so nice. We just got the molds, and they are TASTY!

DSC02019.JPG

Apricot Clafoutis

DSC02020.JPG

Peach Panna Cotta with Sauteed Peaches

DSC02021.JPG

Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting and Candied Carrot

DSC02022.JPG

Individual Paris-Brest

DSC02023.JPG

Creme Caramel

DSC02024.JPG

Coconut Beignets

DSC02025.JPG

Mascarpone Cheesecake

DSC02026.JPG

The Spread

DSC02027.JPG

The Spread again

The flowers were amazing... we get some really awesome floral arrangments.

Stephen W.

Pastry Chef/Owner

The Sweet Life Bakery

Vineland, NJ

I'm now responsible for the Sunday Brunch every week.  That means there will be lots of new pix every week!

For some reason the pictures all came out blurry... sorry bout that. Enjoy! ...

Holy crap :shock:

Edited by nightscotsman (log)

ohmyganache, do you work with Cora at the Ritz? She used to work with me in Honolulu. Tell her "Hi" from Karen! Many years ago I used to work for the Ritz (not in SF). I remember doing tea service...

ohmyganache - First off, I wish I was close enough to come for tea!! Oh my goodness it looks good. I'd have a hard time not eating one of everything.

I was wondering if you could please answer a couple questions about the chocolate pecan tarts? I don't see any visible chocolate aside from garnish. Am I correct to assume there is a layer of chocolate just in the bottom rather than the whole crust being painted? Also, does your pecan filling use chopped nuts with just a couple whole ones sticking out the top or do you use all whole ones?

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

ohmyganache, do you work with Cora at the Ritz? She used to work with me in Honolulu. Tell her "Hi" from Karen! Many years ago I used to work for the Ritz (not in SF). I remember doing tea service...

haha, yes I work with Cora. We actually started on the same day as well. That's so funny, it's such a small world. I will tell her 'hi' for you...

ohmyganache - First off, I wish I was close enough to come for tea!! Oh my goodness it looks good. I'd have a hard time not eating one of everything.

I was wondering if you could please answer a couple questions about the chocolate pecan tarts? I don't see any visible chocolate aside from garnish. Am I correct to assume there is a layer of chocolate just in the bottom rather than the whole crust being painted? Also, does your pecan filling use chopped nuts with just a couple whole ones sticking out the top or do you use all whole ones?

The pecan tarts have a few pistoles of 72% chocolate in the bottom, and chopped pecanson top of that. We had some extra chocolate buttercream from a wedding cake the day before, so I used that up as garnish. I then candied some pecans and slapped it on there with a little chocolate garnish.

Stephen W.

Pastry Chef/Owner

The Sweet Life Bakery

Vineland, NJ

• 1 month later...

Hopefully I'll get a chance to post some stuff soon as my website maybe up in the very near future and I will be doing a wedding expo for Bloomingdales

"Chocolate has no calories....

Chocolate is food for the soul, The soul has no weight, therefore no calories" so said a customer, a lovely southern woman, after consuming chocolate indulgence

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

www.sweetkarmadesserts.com

550 East Meadow Ave. East meadow, NY 11554

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

Hopefully I'll get a chance to post some stuff soon as my website maybe up in the very near future and I will be doing a wedding expo for Bloomingdales

how do u put up a pic?

"Chocolate has no calories....

Chocolate is food for the soul, The soul has no weight, therefore no calories" so said a customer, a lovely southern woman, after consuming chocolate indulgence

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

www.sweetkarmadesserts.com

550 East Meadow Ave. East meadow, NY 11554

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

I'd missed this thread as well, but since I have no lovely pics to post---oh, well.

I'm so glad to see it return. This is sometimes better'n looking at flowers.

As mentioned earlier, I'm officially christening this the C.U.P. thread--Cruel and Unusual Punishment. Especially for us late-night readers, with only a few stray crumbs left in the Oreo bag, or maybe one errant Hershey's Kiss under a sofa cushion.

However, this time, there ARE the last few slices of that scrumptious Lemon Sponge Cake with Mascarpone Lemon Mousse in the upstairs fridge..... :wub:

No harm, no foul this time, but I'm WARNIN' Y'all!!!

rachel

Okay even though I'm way out of my league here I'll post a few of my latest:

these are both from Richard Leach's "Sweet Seasons"

gallery_34185_1689_1376.jpg

Lemon brulee

gallery_34185_1689_19437.jpg

chocolate espresso sorbet, chocolate meringue

Lilikoi chiffon w/lilikoi curd, iced in Italian meringue buttercreamwhite chocolate lace pieces, gumpaste roses:

gallery_34185_1689_33564.jpg

A very tall display cake (3 1/2 feet) iced with Perma-Ice; gumpaste foilage and "lava rocks"

gallery_34185_1689_141159.jpg

Kissing seahorse, sea urchins, shells modeled/molded from gumpaste; iced in Italian meringue buttercream

gallery_34185_1689_23163.jpg

Thank you!

What's Perma-Ice?

It is a non-edible icing used for display cakes.

How did you construct it? Did you sculpt cake layers

This was constructed from a wooden form ( husband is a carpenter and he built if for me) and iced with Perma-Ice. We decided to go with this instead of cake because it had to sit out in the hot/humid Hawaiian climate for 6 hours.

What is lilikoi?

It is passionfruit; sort of a cross between a peach, mango and citrus; very yummy!

Wendy, I love your dragon cake. You are amazing at sculpting! It must have taken quite awhile to make?! I'm sure the birthday boy was pretty excited.

And my daughters would love your daisy cake. I'm going to keep that in mind for their birthday next year.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden