• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Professional pastry pictures

ohmyganache

It's a mixture of cream, praline paste & gelatine. I have the exec chef's approval to post pix not recipes.

I can understand that... are you at least able to name the individual components, bottom to top? That dessert looks soooooooo luscious. Nice work!

Di

drewman, those are some nice pix! I didn't know Hotel Hershey did such cool stuff. I've had some friends that worked/externed there in the past...

Isn't brunch fun??? Here are some Easter brunch pix from the Ritz...

DSC00298.JPG

Panna Cotta with assorted gelee

DSC00293.JPG

Chanpagne Passion Gelee

DSC00340.JPG

Bunny Cookies

DSC00294.JPG

Frasier

DSC00301.JPG

Choux Chantilly

DSC00302.JPG

Coffee Walnut Daquoise

DSC00308.JPG

Floating Islands

DSC00310.JPG

Assorted Financier and Mirliton

DSC00307.JPG

Flan aux Chocolat

DSC00306.JPG

Chocolate Fountain (I hate that thing...)

That's it for now. Drewman, I'd love to see more brunch pix... they're awesome!

Edited by ohmyganache (log)

Stephen W.

Pastry Chef/Owner

The Sweet Life Bakery

Vineland, NJ

I typed the ingredients I listed in the previous post into a search engine (as I thought others would do) that took me to this link. The recipe is quite close to what we made.

Praline Cream Recipe

Always speak your mind. Those who mind don't matter and those who matter won't mind.

drewman, those are some nice pix!  I didn't know Hotel Hershey did such cool stuff.  I've had some friends that worked/externed there in the past...

Isn't brunch fun???  Here are some Easter brunch pix from the Ritz...

Ohmyganache,

A quick question - is the Ritz there in SF stilling looking for an Exec Pastry chef? I had just read that the last one had relocated to the Ritz in Buckhead and I seem to remember the listing for a replacement on their website has been posted for a while.

So basically to stay on topic, are the ideas for your brunches the Assistant Pastry chefs or is there a collaberation from the entire pastry team?

Jason

Edited by nightscotsman (log)

By the way, here is another fraisier that I did today. The sides came out looking really nice...

DSC00751.JPG

Very nice job, but I was wondering what did you use to get the clean sides? I know for a round cake, you use a cake ring, but for a rectangle, do you use a rectangle ring?

Edited by oli (log)

Yep, it's a rectangle cake ring. It's the size of a sheetpan.

Very nice job, but I was wondering what did you use to get the clean sides? I know for a round cake, you use a cake ring, but for a rectangle, do you use a rectangle ring?

Stephen W.

Pastry Chef/Owner

The Sweet Life Bakery

Vineland, NJ

Here's a wedding cake that we did this weekend.

Wedding_Cake_07.JPG

And here is a Ginger Brulee and Chocolate Mousse with tuile dentelle and chocolate shards, with bitter chocolate sauce.

Asian_Brulee_and_Chocolate_Mousse_02.JPG

Stephen W.

Pastry Chef/Owner

The Sweet Life Bakery

Vineland, NJ

I just don't like it because it's tacky, mostly.  There's something very... I don't know... cheesy about it.

It does have that Willy Wonka over-the-top feeling about it...

Mmmmm... cheese fondue fountain... :wub:

Edited because the <homer> tag didn't work as well as I thought it would...

Edited by laurenmilan (log)

"Give me 8 hours, 3 people, wine, conversation and natural ingredients and I'll give you one of the best nights in your life. Outside of this forum - there would be no takers."- Wine_Dad, egullet.org

[quote=ohmyganache,Apr 22 2005, 10:50

ohmyganache, I would like to know how the meringues for the floating islands were formed. They look like they were cut from a long rope. Do you use forms to shape each one then steam in the form or some other method. Thanks Marilyn

check out my baking and pastry books at the Pastrymama1 shop on www.Half.ebay.com

I must commend everyone of you on such fabulous creations! Such tremendous talent. I aspire to be able to create such complex and intricate pastries one day. For now, I'll just stick to cookies (not nearly as sophisticated) although it was nice to see that ohmyganache included decorated cookies. :smile:

This is why I love baking and pastry so much, it's fun and creative and the best part is that you can eat it!

Thanks for sharing. Maybe one day I'll muster up enough courage to post some cookie pics. But for now I'll leave it to you pros!

chefpeon Posted Today, 03:08 PM

I wanna know how you make that Tuile Dentelle!!!!!

Tuile Dentelle Chocolate:

Butter 100g

100% Chocolate 100 g (unsweetend)

Glucose 80 g

Sugar 300 g

Pectin 5 g

Cocoa Powder 20 g

Water 160 g

In a small pan, melt butter, chocolate, and glucose. Add the sugar, pectin, and cocoa powder off the heat. When combined, add water and bring to rolling boil. It should be the consistancy of bechemel. Chill. At this point, we just keep it in the walk-in until we need a sheet or two. So you spread it evenly and thinly on a silpat. Bake at 400 for about 15 minutes (at the thickness we do it). You can tell when it's done because it bubbles up a lot while baking, and when the bubbles slow down, you take it out. If it's not baked enough, it doesn't snap as well... it kinda bends a bit. It also over-bakes very soon after it's done...

I'm sorry this recipe is so intense, this is one of the more complicated ones we use...

pastrymama Posted Today, 10:17 AM

[quote name=ohmyganache' date='Apr 22 2005, 10:50

ohmyganache, I would like to know how the meringues for the floating islands were formed. They look like they were cut from a long rope. Do you use forms to shape each one then steam in the form or some other method. Thanks Marilyn

The meringues we use for floating islands are (if I'm correct) 1 part sugar to 2 parts whites... the opposite of a traditional meringue. Whip it stiff, spread it into a hotel pan. Into the steamer (that banquets uses) for 5 minutes. This time, I just used a fluted ring cutter. Sometimes, I slice it with a paring knife into squares, which when scooped out with a off-set spatula look like cubes.

Stephen W.

Pastry Chef/Owner

The Sweet Life Bakery

Vineland, NJ

ah kitwilliams beat me to the same question. Can you tell us more about that lemon praline tart, please?????????

You guys are raising my blood pressure, this is like showing a junkie, crack (i think).......... it makes me want to work 24/7.

Wendy, do you think its " is a type of

Bavarian, its probably from Pierre Herme pastry book, there's a photo of one

in there but no name or caption." This is quote is from a well known pastry chef, who wrote to me about my inquiry on the Lemon Praline Tarte. I don't have Pierre Herme's book, perhaps you do. Take a look and tell me if the photo in the book is the same as the one posted here?

Wendy, do you think its " is a type of

Bavarian, its probably from Pierre Herme pastry book, there's a photo of one

in there but no name or caption." This is quote is from a well known pastry chef, who wrote to me about my inquiry on the Lemon Praline Tarte. I don't have Pierre Herme's book, perhaps you do.  Take a look and tell me if the photo in the book is the same as the one posted here?

The closest thing in Herme's book that I found is on page 91, Lemon and Hazelnut Macaroon. It consists of a nougatine macaroon for the top and bottom layer, sandwiched in between are a layer of lemon mousse and a layer of flakey hazelnut praline. Clearly not the same thing as Drewman posted.

I have a question Drewman...........do you put unsliced cakes out on buffets? Or were those cakes left uncut for photographing?

ohmyganache, thanks for sharing the info on the meringue and it Dentelles recipe. Great looking products and I bet they are just as delicious as they appear.

check out my baking and pastry books at the Pastrymama1 shop on www.Half.ebay.com

Beautiful pictures everyone.

Thanks for starting the thread Omyganache-beautiful wedding cake.

Just a note of caution though....

Before putting flowers from arrangements on any edible item, make sure they are no danger to your clients...

Calla lilies and the sap from their stems are extremely poisonous.

Before putting flowers from arrangements on any edible item, make sure they are no danger to your clients...

Calla lilies and the sap from their stems are extremely poisonous.

Wow, I did not know that. Thanks for the info. Are there any other common flowers that are a no-no when it comes to eating that you know of???

Stephen W.

Pastry Chef/Owner

The Sweet Life Bakery

Vineland, NJ

Wow, I did not know that. Thanks for the info. Are there any other common flowers that are a no-no when it comes to eating that you know of???

Those dendrobium orchids on your wedding cake you posted are harmless. Besides calla lilies, Poinsettias are poisonous also. Here is a site that has some listings of toxic flowers and edible ones.

This one doesn't qualify for plated dessert so maybe I'll trail on this one a bit.

A Chocolate-Almond Cake with Bavarian Cream covered with a mirror chocolate glaze. Showpiece of a chocolate chocolate cone (10") and marbled yellow chocolate triangle shards giving an abstract tree impression.

On top is yellow buttercream and truffles rolled in yellow cocoa butter (hardened and crushed)

It was frozen and shot quickly so I appologize for the "whitish" condensation and foggy appearance but you can get the gist of it.

gallery_25219_947_47346.jpg

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea

Here are two pix of the pastries that I sent up for tea service when I was on that station. We're in the process of revamping the tea stuff, so as soon as that happens, I'll put some new pix up.

Ritz-Carlton_Pastry_Shop_06_-_Tea_Service.JPG

Ritz-Carlton_Pastry_Shop_07_-_Tea_Service.JPG

Stephen W.

Pastry Chef/Owner

The Sweet Life Bakery

Vineland, NJ

Here are some photos of a frozen dessert the I did for a foodie BAR BQ recently. It contains raspberry and lime sorbet with a center of almond nougat filled with bits of almond macaroons. The toping is made with isomolt sugar poured into a container of ice. The base is decorated with more almond macaroons.

gallery_9087_359_140497.jpg

gallery_9087_359_58249.jpg

Fred Rowe