• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Professional pastry pictures

ohmyganache

Sugarella - The Black & White Cake (as well as the 2 to the left) are made with a cold set transfer sheet. You put it on a sheet pan with a frame mold and build the cake upside down. Freeze it overnight & the image is transfered onto the mousse. The White Chocolate Mandarin Cake is made in a mold from pcb-creation (they have the cold transfer sheets too) and then sprayed with white chocolate. And the cakes I used all have nut paste or nut flour in them which helps to prevent moisture loss. Besides, a dessert buffet only lasts and hour or two.

Thank you!! I never knew about the cold set transfer sheets. :smile:

• 10 months later...

No one posts here anymore, so I decided to bring it back!

Last week we had our annual Champagne Dinner & here are some shots of the dessert buffet. Sorry the first is blurry but it's the only one I have.

gallery_20451_4027_42148.jpg

gallery_20451_4027_37569.jpg

gallery_20451_4027_9145.jpg

gallery_20451_4027_15001.jpg

By the way, I have 2 entry level full time positions open. PM me if you're interested in skiing in Vermont.

Edited for eGullet compliance.

Edited by Drewman (log)

Always speak your mind. Those who mind don't matter and those who matter won't mind.

Thanks everyone!  and sorry it's taken me so long to respond; we've been getting slammed at work and I had this wedding cake to make:

gallery_34185_1689_28480.jpg

This is the only description the MOB would give me for this cake:

the look should be of a pretty pristine moist cake  sitting with the woodland nature effect going over it like looking into

a corner of the forest floor. Seeing green ti leaves/perhaps bark below the cake and orchids and these tiny ferns. Perhaps some moss

in the bright green as well, might be spun sugar/ or I can bring you my real moss? Dew like effects.What ever looks like Hilo

forest floor. You can make tiny branches  as you showed me on your orchid cake effect.

Yet very simple, and natural. People will look and wonder, how perfect the cake is relating to the natural world. Pristine and perfect. simple

Everything except the moss (that's colored rice noodles :) is gumpaste: cymbidium, oncidium and dendrobium orchids, ohia bark, uluhe ferns (curly burgundy things). The branches are chocolate covered floral taped wires.

I use a cake icer tip, an offset spatula and a dough knife/bench scraper to ice. I use a cooked sugar, all butter buttercream. I apply the icing using the tip and a large pastry bag, spread everything evenly with the spatula and then use the dough knife to smooth.

Maybe this is a silly question, but what exactly is a "cake icer" tip? Is that a very large petal tip?

Your smoothing is beyond....absolutely beyond.

www.onetoughcookienyc.com

No one posts here anymore, so I decided to bring it back!

Last week we had our annual Champagne Dinner & here are some shots of the dessert buffet. Sorry the first is blurry but it's the only one I have.

By the way, I have 2 entry level full time positions open. PM me if you're interested in skiing in Vermont.

Edited for eGullet compliance.

Thanks for bringing this back up again, I really enjoy the beautiful pictures and can just imagine the hard work making the desserts and setting up the display.

Maybe this is a silly question, but what exactly is a "cake icer" tip?  Is that a very large petal tip?

It looks like a basketweave tip on steroids. Flat opening, smooth on one side and serrated on the other. About 2 inches wide. It was designed originally to ice the sides of cakes done in those character pans, but it works great for getting the icing onto the sides of most any cake. Wilton #789, I believe.

B. Keith Ryder

BCakes by BKeith

Maybe this is a silly question, but what exactly is a "cake icer" tip?  Is that a very large petal tip?

It looks like a basketweave tip on steroids. Flat opening, smooth on one side and serrated on the other. About 2 inches wide. It was designed originally to ice the sides of cakes done in those character pans, but it works great for getting the icing onto the sides of most any cake. Wilton #789, I believe.

Thanks...the minute I posted that I knew I shouldn't have. I have that tip, and use it, but

just don't call it a cake icer tip...new lingo for me.

www.onetoughcookienyc.com