• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bergen County area: cheap recommendations, please!

Wanimoon

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could reccommend some restaurants for me and my husband to go to.......We like all sorts of food, american and international dishes. We try to not spend a lot of money either. We don't like spending more than $16 for seafood entrees and $12 for chicken entrees. Obviously the cheaper the better, but we are interested in hearing what good, cheap, casual places you may recommend. Thanks! :smile:

Stickey's BBQ in Teaneck on Teaneck Road

A Taste of Greece in River Edge on Kinderkamack Rd.

China 46 on Sundays for Brunch in Ridgefield Park

Migdalia's Cuban Cafe in Bergenfield

All of these have threads in the NJ forum, with pictures.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

A Taste of Greece in River Edge on Kinderkamack Rd.

China 46 on Sundays for Brunch in Ridgefield Park

those ore the only two you mentioned that I haven't been to. Sounds yummy.....I've drove past them both twice though. Actually, I was at Stickey's BBQ in Teaneck on opening day and there is actually a pic of me on you'r thread about it....I am the one with the striped shirt on with my back towards you. Wasn't to thrilled with it that day. Didn't seem like they had their crap together. I have been back since though and it's pretty good now. Haven't been there in a month or so though.

Migdalia's Cuban Cafe in Bergenfield

I like this place, but the owner or some guy at the cash register was a total jerk. i had ordered the empanadas, and when i went to pay, I, being an honest person, had pointed out that he had charged me too little for the empanadas....He started cracking up at me like he was drunk or something. pointing his finger at me and saying really lound how wrong I was, cracking up the whole time. Then he finally looked at the menu and realized I was right and shut up. What a jerk!!! I'd still go back though for the cuban sandwiches and other food. :hmmm:

The owner of Migdalia's is Migdalia, and she's a cuban lady with blonde hair. She's very nice, and you'll frequently find her running around like the Easter bunny.

gallery_2_0_83316.jpg

The restaurant recently moved to a much larger location, down the block from the original restaurant on the corner.

Migdalia's (eG Forums)

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

yeah, I saw her a lot running around. She's a very hard worker. We had been to it a couple of times when it was on the corner when Cusinera is now. But the time I had the run in with that guy was at the new one on the side street. It was about 2 months ago.....pretty funny experience though. He was laughing at me so much and then had NOTHING to say when he realized he was wrong. Funny. The new place is nice though. It's weird though seeing it as a restaurant and not a pool hall. IT"S SOOOO BIG NOW!!!!

Saigon R on W Palisade Avenue in Englewood is absolutely terrific if you've never been, well within your budget. Saigon Website (Can't believe Jason left this one out!)

It's Greek to Me in Englewood, and the best Greek place in Bergen County, IMHO, is Greek Village in Northvale.

Moon Street Dean Street, Englewood. Acceptable, better-than-a-diner food and ambience, low prices.

Joel's Malibu might be about $1-$2 over your budget, but it is a terrific place with food prepared with flair and a lovely quirky ambience as well. Joel is a terrific guy. 34 Oak Street, Ridgewood.

Saigon R on W Palisade Avenue in Englewood is absolutely terrific if you've never been, well within your budget. Saigon Website (Can't believe Jason left this one out!)

Not in her desired price range. Not "cheap" but not expensive either.

If you are going to include Saigon R, then you'll want to also include Bennie's, which is a really good Middle Eastern a few blocks up on Palisade. Babylon in River Edge is also very good for traditional Turkish food.

Saigon R on W Palisade Avenue in Englewood is absolutely terrific if you've never been, well within your budget.  Saigon Website (Can't believe Jason left this one out!)

It's Greek to Me in Englewood, and the best Greek place in Bergen County, IMHO, is Greek Village in Northvale. 

Moon Street Dean Street, Englewood. Acceptable, better-than-a-diner food and ambience, low prices. 

Joel's Malibu might be about $1-$2 over your budget, but it is a terrific place with food prepared with flair and a lovely quirky ambience as well.  Joel is a terrific guy.  34 Oak Street, Ridgewood.

Been to Saigon....have to go back again though....I loved it!!!

Been to It's greek to me (worked across the street for 4 years, see my profile)

Worked at Moon street for a short while when it was still owned by Blue Moon Mexican, but I love their food!

Have to try Joel's Malibu.

Heard Benny's was excellent, have to try that!

Have coupons for Babylon.....want to go there too!!!!

Not in her desired price range. Not "cheap" but not expensive either.
We don't like spending more than $16 for seafood entrees and $12 for chicken entrees.

The most expensive main dish at Saigon R is $16.95 for the Duck. The Basa fish (ongoing special) is $15, and others range from $10 to $16.

Mo'Pho in Fort Lee has somewhat lower prices as they are (supposed to be) more geared towards the soups.

Have coupons for Babylon.....want to go there too!!!!

Normally, I am suspicious of places that advertise in those mailers, but Babylon is really good. I suspect their business has suffered from Huffman Koos' closure. Definitely worth going to. They used to have a totally underpriced item as a Sunday special, braised lamb shank. They used to charge $9.95 for it! To them it was a leftover part from the legs they butchered for kababs. I take credit for pointing out to them that any other place I go to, it is a much more expensive dish. Last time I ordered it, it cost $16.95. Oh well, almost free ride is over! :wacko: But they're nice people and deserve to make a living.

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could reccommend some restaurants for me and my husband to go to.......We like all sorts of food, american and international dishes. We try to not spend a lot of money either. We don't like spending more than $16 for seafood entrees and $12 for chicken entrees. Obviously the cheaper the better, but we are interested in hearing what good, cheap, casual places you may recommend. Thanks!  :smile:

Another frugal Egulleter! Here's a chance for me to give props to the best bargain in Bergen County, hands down. If you like Mexican food, there is a restaurant in Lodi on Route 46 called Que Pasa (they used to be called El Norte until a few years ago). On Monday nights, they do an "all you can eat" special for $8.95. The food is brought to your table, it's not a buffet. You get to choose from about 20 different things, including enchiladas, tacos, and burritos with beef, chicken or cheese and they give you soup, chips and salsa as well included. The entrees and soups are very good and the chips and salsa may be the best in the county. I usually go every other week. The typical crowd there seems to be mostly working class people, so it's very casual. They're usually not very busy and the staff is decent. Check it out!

Edited by zhelder (log)

Another suggestion for cheap eats: There's a great Italian restaurant in Fair Lawn on River Road called Piccola Italia. (They used to be in Radburn until the restaurant burned down when the clock tower caught on fire a few years ago. )They do an "early bird" special from aroun 4 pm-6pm in which they give you a full meal for $11.95. They include soup, salad, bread, entree, dessert, and coffee or tea. You can pick from around 20 different things, including seafood, chicken, and veal entrees. The food is delicious, and the portions are large. I haven't been there in a while, but typing this post has me thinking about going soon! There seem to be a few other restaurants in the Fair Lawn/Elmwood Park area that conduct these "early bird" specials, but I don't recall the names of any others off hand.

Still another Italian suggestion: Allendale Bar & Grill/Mahwah Bar and Grill do "pasta nites" on Tuesdays for $12.95. You pick from a whole bunch of ingredients and the chef cooks it for you right there and brings it to your table. I go to the one in Allendale every few weeks. The chef is a real nice guy, and the portions they give you are huge. I usally eat one plate and take a few bites of a second plate and take it home for a meal the next day. The Spruce Street Grille used to do a phenomenal pasta nite, but sadly they're no longer around. :sad:

Lodi on Route 46 called Que Pasa

Yes, I have been there. I ususally go to La Batalla in Bergenfield, but if I feel like drinking, I go there. Great Place witha great atmosphere!!!

Wow, you guys are the best!!! Thanks for all the recommendations!!!!

I have to second the AB&G/ MB&G if only for there buffalo shrimp....for some reason anything I have ever had off there regular laminated menu was iffy but the specials have always been exceptional

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Hackensack is excellent for cheap eats. Mercer street has Villa de Colombia, an excellent BYO Columbian place. Lido's of course for excellent chicken parm, sliced steak and the best thin crust pizza around (don't order anything else though, the rest of the menu is not so good.) Lunch counters abound in all of the spanish markets, la costena on essex st and the giant market, a big red building on passaic st are the two stand outs. For $10 you eat like a king, take out only though.

'It's greek to me' in River Edge is great and 'pancho's burritos' on Main in New Milford is also very good (and pretty new too.)

The Olde Tyme Sizzling steak house on essex st by the maywood/hackensack boarder is pretty good for the price, it is about the best 'family style' steak house around with huge portions and reasonable prices.

Good luck

Fink

The best part of the Guiniea Pig? The Cheeks! Definately the cheeks!!

'It's greek to me' in River Edge is great

You mean A Taste of Greece, of course. I confuse the name myself.

The Assembly is quite good, but may be a bit pricier than you are looking for.

The one in Englewood Cliffs? That one is way more expensive than I would want to spend. I worked at the Bicycle Clube for a few months about 8 years back(same owners).

Actually went to Old time Sizzlin Steak for my first time a couple of weeks ago. Very good. Lido's I like too and I totally agree with what you're saying about how to only order a few things, because the rest isn't really good. I gotta try the Hispanic Cuisines in the places you mentioned Fink.

Has anyone tries Rudy's in Hackensack on Anderson? Someone told me it was good.

• 3 weeks later...

White Manna Hamburgers in Hackensack - The place is not pretty, but the food is real good and real cheap!!!

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could reccommend some restaurants for me and my husband to go to.......We like all sorts of food, american and international dishes. We try to not spend a lot of money either. We don't like spending more than $16 for seafood entrees and $12 for chicken entrees. Obviously the cheaper the better, but we are interested in hearing what good, cheap, casual places you may recommend. Thanks!  :smile:

Bergen County is a big place. If you're ever down Rutherford way, Trattoria Corrado would fit your criteria pretty well. There's a thread about it right here.

Don't know if you'd find it worth a 20-mile drive, but if you're in the area, they're solid, consistent & reasonably priced.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845