• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Smoked chiles pasillas of Oaxaca

shelora

Anyone else thoroughly addicted to the smoked chile of Oaxaca like I am? They are so delicious for chile rellenos, in salsas and with a summer twist - first hydrated in orange juice and tequila, then stuffed with a mixture of ricotta and fresh ripe peaches. The hydrating liquid is then reduced to a sticky syrup and poured over. Oh my goddess, it's so good.

Would love to hear your recipes and uses for this distinct chile. I've got a glut of them right now and they need to be used up.

Shelora

Made a small batch of chiles and vegetable en vinagre. It's a pickled condiment for those not familiar. I added two small smoked chiles to the mix and it is amazing!!! If you have some on hand, do try it.

I added only some white onion, serranos and carrots to the mix. Wanted to keep it simple. With apple cider vinegar, good olive oil and Mexican oregano, this is the condiment for the next couple of weeks.

Well, that's two gone from the surplus!

Made a small batch of chiles and vegetable en vinagre. It's a pickled condiment for those not familiar. I added two small smoked chiles to the mix and it is amazing!!! If you have some on hand, do try it.

I added only some white onion, serranos and carrots to the mix. Wanted to keep it simple. With apple cider vinegar, good olive oil and Mexican oregano, this is the condiment for the next couple of weeks.

Well, that's two gone from the surplus!

Those both sound delish! I've never heard of stuffing peppers with a sweet filling. Sounds amazing! Are these smoked pasillas similar to Moritas? I would imagine they're not as hot.

bimbojones

PICT002.JPG

Here are the chilies. Notice very wrinkled skin. The ones on the left are smaller and are perfect for making the condiment. The larger ones I like to use for stuffing. THey are so smokey in aroma, my kitchen is filled with the smell and they are blisteringly hot. So much so, that I like to rinse them quite a few times in cold water after soaking to rid them of the chiles heat. The heat can be quite painful, but some batches aren't so bad.

Chile mora I think would be a lame substitute, this chile is very distinct.

I still have some chile moritas. I decided I was going to stuff some of them. After soaking I realized it was a bit of a mistake. The chiles are packed with seeds and it took hours (slight exaggeration) to remove and then stuff. They were good stuffed with a picadillo, but God, what an effort.

If you are over on the island, you are welcome to some of my chile pasilla de Oaxaca, they are a real treat.

Over and out.

The smoked pasillas are good stuff. I got some from the Ferry Plaza market the last time I was in San Francisco. But, so far I only use them to flavor beans, or put them in my quesadilla. I will try stuffing them.

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

• 3 weeks later...
You put them in a quesadilla?? Can you explain?

Don't know what how others do it, but I toast 'em, soak 'em, and chop 'em up, kinda in rajas. I just put a few strips down on the quesillo and toast away.

Theabroma

Sharon Peters aka "theabroma"

The lunatics have overtaken the asylum