• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Soft Cooked Eggs

rich

I have a Jaques Pepin recipe for his Codfish Brandade and he suggests serving it with soft-cooked eggs, peeled and sliced in half.

Steven (FG) wrote in his egg "blog" how difficult it is to peel a soft-cooked egg. He mentioned watching a professional kitchen staff member who was successful one of four times.

After doing research, I know the perfect way to soft cook an egg (older, bring water to quick boil covered, remove from heat let sit 1-3 minutes and plunge into cold water), but peeling was not mentioned anywhere.

Has anyone had success in this area? Does the same hard-cooked method work, ie. cracking after removing from hot water and peeling under running water?

Thanks for your help.

Edited by rich (log)

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

I have had luck with the following method: After removing the eggs from simmering water, cover, and let rest a few minutes before placing in cold water. One by one, drain, gently roll on a hard surface to crackle the shell, then peel, beginning at the larger side of the egg. Dip occasionally into cool water to facilitate peeling.

Edited by Wolfert (log)

“C’est dans les vieux pots, qu’on fait la bonne soupe!”, or ‘it is in old pots that good soup is made’.

I put about tablespoon of salt in the in the water to make the peeling process easier, of course you still have to let the eggs cool a little. It doesn't effect the flavour of the egg.

I use the handle of a small spoon, tap, turn the egg in the left hand. For quail eggs, a crochet hook. I lose about one out of every four dozen eggs (and eat it).

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I use the handle of a small spoon, tap, turn the egg in the left hand. For quail eggs, a crochet hook. I lose about one out of every four dozen eggs (and eat it).

Jin, how do you soft cook quail eggs? Is it place in cold water, bring to simmer quickly (covered), remove from heat, let sit 20-30 seconds and drop in ice water?

How do you use the crochet hook?

Thanks.

Rich

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

Yes.

The same as the spoon handle: insert beneath the shell and peel around in a spiral fashion.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

If you're going to halve the eggs anyway, use my mother's method. She would give the egg a sharp rap with the edge of a spoon, break it in half around the equator and scoop each half out with the spoon.