• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Logan Circle -- Restaurant Hotspot?

cgarthwa

Walking by Whole Foods yesterday I noticed that Merkado is set to open sometime this week. In addition, the Continental has closed and a new restaurant, I believe named P St. Bistro, is scheduled to open soon.

The spacle next to the studio theater and below the Hemphill Galery on 14th St is being renovated and the permits say a restaurant will be located there.

Anyone have any more information on what will be in that space, or what quality the other restaurants in the area will be? Nice to have some more options in that neighborhood.

I saw a write up of the P St Bistro Café in the Dupont Current or some similar community paper, it looks like it's going to be a nightmare. The owner said things like "We'll offer some small plates, too, they're very trendy" and mentioned "Elegant burgers". I wish I could find it to post, it was almost comical. Trying to be everything to everyone in a small spot.

The restaurant going in at the 1515 14th St gallery building is, I believe, going to be from the owner of Perry's, and feature beaucoup organic food.

Agreed! That article made me cringe and thought: what do those people in Logan Circle do to deserve this?

I saw a write up of the P St Bistro Café in the Dupont Current or some similar community paper, it looks like it's going to be a nightmare. The owner said things like "We'll offer some small plates, too, they're very trendy" and mentioned "Elegant burgers". I wish I could find it to post, it was almost comical. Trying to be everything to everyone in a small spot.

The restaurant going in at the 1515 14th St gallery building is, I believe, going to be from the owner of Perry's, and feature beaucoup organic food.

Merkado is associated with Soigne (recently closed) somehow, right?  If so, that's good news.  Can someone fill in the details?

The chef from Soigne (Kim) is heading up the kitchen at Merkado

Merkado is associated with Soigne (recently closed) somehow, right?  If so, that's good news.  Can someone fill in the details?

The chef from Soigne, Edward Kim, is associated with Merkado. Keeping in mind that I am somewhat bitter over the loss of Soigne, I looked around yesterday and found the menu for Merkado online (www.merkadodc.com) and I have to say that I am less than impressed. I absolutely cannot believe that Edward Kim left Soigne to make quesadillas and fajitas! Someone please tell me this is a joke.

FYI-- At the bottom of the menu page of their website:
Also visit our sister restaurants: Logan Tavern, LoganTavern.com and Grillfish, GrillfishDC.com

Merkado Menu

Wow, what a menu. What do you call that kind of cuisine, ConFusion?

This item about sums it up:

Grilled Sino-Latino Pizza 8.75

Bill Russell

What's that topped with ?

Peking Duck Enchiladas?

Szechuan Beef Tacos?

Mole sauce with Deep-Fried Tofu?

General Tso's chicken with chili con queso?

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

You just know some dweebly simp, fresh out of undergrad with a B.S. in Marketing, said to himself, "Tee hee hee, tee hee hee. I'm so clever and worldly. I'll combine mercado with Mikado. Tee hee hee, tee hee hee."

YAWN

I swear I'm going to open a place in an airport or a mall:

Don's House Of Nuts

Get your nuts in here.

Don's House Of Nuts

Get your nuts in here.

I'd be happy to provide some musical entertainment at your establishment with my own special rendition of the Goldberg Variations. After a healthy plate of cassoulet, of course.

Edited by Al_Dente (log)

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Don's House Of Nuts

Get your nuts in here.

I'd be happy to provide some musical entertainment at your establishment with my own special rendition of the Goldberg Variations. After a healthy plate of cassoulet, of course.

Avoiding the obvious...

Perhaps the score to Cosi Fan Tutte would be more appropriate.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

:blink:

FYI-- At the bottom of the menu page of their website:
Also visit our sister restaurants: Logan Tavern, LoganTavern.com and Grillfish, GrillfishDC.com

Merkado Menu

Wow, what a menu. What do you call that kind of cuisine, ConFusion?

I think my favorite is that the last option on the "Nacho Nirvana Platters" is sundried tomatoes. Yuck.

]

On the sample menu in the window for P Street Bistro I saw a listing for grilled mahi-mahi with a banana vanilla cream sauce.

Bon Apetit

Drew Trautmann

Executive Chef

Mendocino Grille

On the sample menu in the window for P Street Bistro I saw a listing for grilled mahi-mahi with a banana vanilla cream sauce.

Bon Apetit

Yes, but is that proceeding from the bistro tradition or the cafe tradition?

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

Bon Apetit

Elegant Burgers....thanks for starting off my morning with a blast of laughter.

Or could that mean Rude Euro bourgeois dressed in their Sunday best strolling along the street with their fraus???

Edited by Nadya (log)

Resident Twizzlebum

]

Bon Apetit

No mention of something with a wasabi crust? Not that trendy then :raz:

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode