• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Wendy DeBord - Dessert, the most important meal.

Can you give advice on how to cut sheet cakes (or pans of brownies) into even pieces?  I never seem to be able to do it even with an 8x8 pan!

I find the best way is to take the whole item out of the pan, set it on a raised surface (I like to use the back of my sheet pan). Then use a knive that's as long or longer then the object to be cut. As you place the knive into the item as your cutting check both sides of your item. Is the knive an equal distance on both sides to the edge or your last cut? Having the item raised off the counter (on the back of a tray or tall cutting board) means you don't bang your knuckles into the counter as you bring your knives force down.

I can't cut anything straight while it's still in the pan.........and the bigger/longer your knive the better.....oh, also thin knive work best for cutting pastry work.

Cutting round cakes I've really just perfected. I used to cut round cakes like I cut full sheet pans of cake, as I described above. That method isn't as successful when you've got a tall, round cake. What I do: I take my longest knive and cut the cake into quarters. Put that knive down, away and grab a french knive. I use a french knive for all the rest of the slices cutting one slice at a time. When ever I attempted to cut the length of the round cake the pressure coming downward never would turn out straight and I'd get uneven slices. But using the french knive and cutting one slice at a time lets you control your pressure and straightness the whole way thru the cut.

I also cut all my cakes or messy items on my cake turntable placed next to my sink. I dip my knive in hot water between every slice to clean the blade off and in some cases having a hot knive makes the cutting easier. Like when your cutting thru chocolate, the hot knive partically melts the chocolate so you barely have to cut it.

On fragile items I find it best to cut the cake while it's partically frozen. I will freeze a fresh cake just so I can slice it properly. I've never experienced any loss of flavor due to this brief freezing. It's a method most professional PC's use.

Today, Monday is my day off of work when I tend to be clued to my computor catching up on the weeks posts here at The Society. If anyone has any specific questions or would like to know specific details about pastry or my work in pastry I'd be happy to back track and detail anything I've shown or talked about.

It's also my last day of blogging and if I happened to miss anyones questions, please remind me and I'll address them asap. If theres something I haven't shown you and your really curious also don't hestitate to inquire.

I'll be sitting here in 8 hours, drinking my newest version of fake cappuccino and eating my left-over lox and bagels.

Wendy, thanks for the info on cutting. Just one clarification...what do you mean by a French knife? Do you use serrated or straight edged knife?

How's the new fake cappuccino?

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness. – Elsa Schiaparelli, 1890-1973, Italian Designer

Hi there! Thanks for the link re the PCB sheets; I hadn't read that thread at all. Now I see what you mean. I had been thinking along the lines of how I do my individual buche de noel ... I use my regular biscuit, cut strips out of it about 3-4 inches wide. Then use a #8 Ateco tip with ganache or buttercream and pipe a long length of filling (I use this on half-sheet sizes, because it is easier for me to handle - the full sheet size flops around and is a hassle) and then roll the biscuit around the filling (trimming the biscuit if necessary) and wrap it in parchment and tape it. The short size also helps with no flexing when I move it. Then when well chilled, I cut them into logs about 4-5 inches long, cover with ganache or buttercream depending on what I filled it with and make a plate of Christmas goodies out of it: the buche, a square little "present" petit four, a half dipped shortbread cookie angel and a meringue kiss. No pictures because I just made the components, the restaurant plated them. They didn't do it this year because of the expense.

So now I can't wait to put an order in for those tubes! This type of mini will be perfect for that chef - she specifically says no cut sheet cakes (because she doesn't want them in liner cups, she thinks it spoils the look of the presentation). Do the cookies ever come apart from the rest of it?

Love the chocolate wrapped wedding cake! Did you use modeling choc for the outer wrapping? Fantastic job on the MS cake....

Report that grocery store to the BBB (they'll have to answer the complaint), or at least tell your story to the local consumer news reporter!

I don't want this to end! Thanks for letting us be the angels watching over your shoulder during your day!!

I have really enjoyed looking at your blog. I waited until near the end to post on the thread because your skill and expertise is so foreign to me, I wouldn't know what to say except to compliment you! I am sooo not a baker or pastry person (and really don't want to be), and I didn't read all the technical parts thoroughly. However, I don't know when I enjoyed looking at the photos of a food blog as much as yours. They are absolutely amazing. I did read enough to know the time and effort you put into your week of blogging and thank you very, very much!

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Awesome blog Wendy!

While most of your work is way beyond anything I will ever be able to do, I did get a few ideas(those ghost cupcakes for one). I made a sheet cake last night and even got out my comb to make a little design in the top-nothing fancy but impressed my 7 year old dd LOL

Sandra

If we have a blog hall of fame, this one belongs on it, Wendy. Thanks so much.

You mentioned that your chef doesn't complain about having a full-time pastry chef on his payroll, and that's for obvious reasons: you are making him and the club look great. Country club dining can be very hit or miss, and all too often, desserts are relegated to the realm of the frozen cheesecake variety. You've added style, pizzazz, bling (can you have dessert bling), panache -- whatever you want to call it -- to the members' collective dining experience. These members will bring guests, clients, and business associates here, and they'll brag about the awesome desserts. They look and taste great. The members WANT to have their wedding receptions and parties here, rather than just settle on having them here, much in part because of what you do. You should be proud of your accomplishments, and I need to put all of your photos up as a slide-show screensaver on my computer. But then, my keiyboard would have to be replaced because of the drooling.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

If we have a blog hall of fame, this one belongs on it, Wendy.  Thanks so much.

No way,........... man you've brought tears to my eyes. I'm not a writer like all our other bloggers.......as you've seen words are hard for me and spelling is impossible. That's part of the deficit I got in exchange for the ability to draw. I'm certain I'll look back on this and regret not using spell check. It's embarrassing that I can say words I can't spell. I hope that in the long run people will look past my deficits and see that my heart is good. I love eG because it and the people that particapate here have given soooooo much to me. Thank all of you!!

Now that I've gotten all sentimental............I'll straighten up...........sorry. Let's pretend that I wrote this as my very last post on my blog.

Hi Wendy, Thanks again for all your time in putting your blog together for us! Does your husband think you're nuts? :biggrin:

Question: I have a party for my husband's graduation in a couple weeks, for a home cook who doesn't bake much what would be a good bite size sweet treat to make? I'll only need a couple dozen.

Wendy, given your talents (and don't argue that fact...with all you've shown here, you not only have the pastry prowess, but the business sense to boot), what are your thoughts on opening up your own shop? There's such a deficit out here (NW 'burbs of Chicago) of quality pastry items, even with some of the new places that have recently opened up.

Would that ever be in your future and would you go it solo or attempt another partnership? Would you go retail or wholesale? You seem very happy where you're at, especially given where you've been. Just curious where you see yourself in your next venture.

Next question: What new pastry items (tools or formulas) are you currently playing with now (for example, those totally cool tubes) and what are some of the next things you want to experiment with and master?

And last, thanks again for an incredible blog. Don't knock yourself for the typing...it's the message you've gotten across and the appreciation for pastry that you've brought to so many here at the gullet. Non-pastry folks usually don't get to appreciate the amount of blood, sweat and tears that go into those dainty little sweets that finish a meal.

Just one clarification...what do you mean by a French knife?  Do you use serrated or straight edged knife?

How's the new fake cappuccino?

I'm drinking my newer fake cappuccino right now. Ahhhhh it's o.k., more coffee like and less hot chocolate like. I'm guessing the calorie content is less because it's less sweet then the American brands I've tried. I'll finish the whole package, but I'll go back to the cheaper Sam's club version when it's done.

Here's a french knive:

gallery_8093_3_46974.jpg

I do use serrated knives also, alot. I use a straight edged knive to cut thru smooth items (like, chocolate mousse cake, brownies, cheesecake) and a serrate knive when I have to cut thru something very difficult that likes to crumble or break apart, like: meringues, carrot cake (nut laden), pie crusts.

Remember that I'm usually cutting thru partically frozen items so I don't have to be afraid to put some real pressure on my knive.

Does your husband think you're nuts?  :biggrin:

Question: I have a party for my husband's graduation in a couple weeks, for a home cook who doesn't bake much what would be a good bite size sweet treat to make?  I'll only need a couple dozen.

Oh man, have you been listening in at my home? Yes, he sure does!!! He doesn't understand why I like the internet, why I spend so much time here, why I work when I'm not at work, why I can't just watch tv with-out having my head in 4 books. But then, he's an engineer type so there's lots about me that is foriegn to him. Ahhhhhhhhh but he also doesn't understand how females can carry on a conversation about 3 topics all at the same time.

I always believe the best treat is one you make well. The biggest impression you can make on people is the taste of your food. They'll remember a simple brownie that's auesome for years more then that tart you fussed over for 4 hours. Now that our RecipeGullet is back up if I was you, I'd choose something from it that everyone raved about, and make that.

Wendy, given your talents (and don't argue that fact...with all you've shown here, you not only have the pastry prowess, but the business sense to boot), what are your thoughts on opening up your own shop? There's such a deficit out here (NW 'burbs of Chicago) of quality pastry items, even with some of the new places that have recently opened up.

Would that ever be in your future and would you go it solo or attempt another partnership? Would you go retail or wholesale? You seem very happy where you're at, especially given where you've been. Just curious where you see yourself in your next venture.

Next question: What new pastry items (tools or formulas) are you currently playing with now (for example, those totally cool tubes) and what are some of the next things you want to experiment with and master?

I've attempted to merge with an existing bakery but found that we clashed personality wise and I baled out. I've thought many many times about opening my own place, long and hard. But I've got enough experience in all aspects of the business that I know what I'd be getting into and it means too many compromises. The second you own a business your a business owner not a pastry chef. You spend more time running the business and the people you have working for you, you don't have time to bake. If I could run the kitchen and not the business, then I'd seriously consider that, but my husband doesn't have any business experience outside of construction.

I've had offers to take "front of the house" positions too, and turned them down. Why take yourself out of your strongest area into something your not as interested in or enjoy as much? I had one caterer stick his nose up to me when I rejected a job offer of running his kitchen. I'm not ready to stop baking (I've only just begun) and no amount of money or prestege in a title will change that.

Also one of the really great aspects of being a country club pastry chef is the variety of items I get to make. In bakeries you have a product line and make those items over and over and over. When you finish a cake, everytime you make that cake you have to decorate it just like the first one, boring! People mainly go to bakeries to buy b-day cakes and celebration cakes. I could never want to decorate cakes all day everyday, I like to bake and do every aspect of the pastry arts.

The clientele in the Chicagoland burbs dictates the product that you must make to be successful. The more educated pastry lovers tend to live in areas where I couldn't begin to pay the monthly rent.

I don't know what my next 'venture' may be. Theres soooo many thing's I'd love to learn and get better at (in baking) the jobs or work that attracts me is working in a place where I can learn and grow.

Your last question: I sort of float on the wind.........I'll get into something someone might be talking about in The Pastry & Baking Forum.........I might see a new product being sold by a company and just have to buy it and master how to use it. I copy ideas and skills shown in books and magazines and sometimes along the way I think about how I can use that technique in a different application. Next up on my work schedule we have our "welcome back" huge club party and I'll focus on what to do for that. Then Mothers Day and my Chef requested I do those chocolate shoes..........so I'll be dreaming about ways to further explore making 3D shoes in baking ingredients. I'll start visualizing a sweet table and then figure out how to make the items I'm thinking about in pastry.

Here's some photos of the "toys" I create and like to use at work. I've recently posted photos of some of the cookie cutters I've made in the baking forum, so I won't repost those. I've talked about cutting my own stencils also in Forum but never showed any photos. So I'll try to make up for that here.

I like to buy stencils because they're time consuming to cut. But just this spring I purchased a hot knive that cuts thru plastic like butter. In this next photo I've used the hot knive to cut the leaf stencil and an exacto knive to cut the clovers stencil. I've cut other stencils, but will spare you the details for now. I've been looking for the perfect media to use as a stencil that's the size of one full sheet pan, so I can create more with less repeat effort. I found this thin plastic at The Container Store. They sell it to be used as something you line your kitchen shelfs with.

gallery_8093_3_293459.jpg

The rest of my photo's are of purchased items.

The white stencils here are thicker then most. They are used to create tuile cookies.

gallery_8093_3_349097.jpg

Using gold dust to stencil thru this pattern onto chocolate plastic, which I will shape into a bow later.

gallery_8093_3_269681.jpg

gallery_8093_3_407281.jpg

This next photo shows the little containers of gold dust I've mentioned.

gallery_8093_3_127784.jpg

This photo shows the cocoa butter food colors I use to spray thru my badger airbrush.

gallery_8093_3_464383.jpg

Wendy, I really have to say I'm just overwhelmed by the stuff you create. It's all just tremendous.

So I have to ask, where do you find you get the most inspiration? You mentioned earlier that you read Pastry Art & Design & Chocolatier. Do you read other magazines & books for ideas as well?

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

So I have to ask, where do you find you get the most inspiration? You mentioned earlier that you read Pastry Art & Design & Chocolatier. Do you read other magazines & books for ideas as well?

My very favorite place is the bookstore. I visit 2 local bookstores every Monday on my day off. I really like magazines because they come out monthly (usually) and so theres just sooooo much information every month to catch up with. I look thru every cooking and baking magazine there and at the grocery store. I also like to look at the ladies home magazines because they also feature desserts.

Then on a daily basis I look thru my book collection. I've got a great deal of them memoried (that word being used loosely) from studing them so much.

I REALLY LOVE anything Martha Stewarts put out.!!!!!!!!!! She's had a tremenous influence on me. Looking at her first books showed me making food could involve the visual arts. She was ground breaking when her first books came out. No one what displaying food in baskets, with themes, not on mirrors or silver trays. I believe she's has as much, if not MORE impact on the food industry and home cooks then Julia Child or James Beard. I think she's constantly showing the most creative work that's not in the "elite" pastry books. Her wedding cakes have become the standard for the industry. Brides everywhere bring us photos of the cakes shes published begging us to reproduce them. I feel bad that people judge her magazines and her personality and crimes and can't get past that to really take a good look at how she's impacted Cooking and Baking. I don't care any which way about her personal life or if she is or isn't arrogant. I get soooo much creative imput and ideas out of each of her magazines...they're the most exciting thing that arrives in my mailbox. Sometimes I can't wait for my subscription to arrive at home and I buy the copy at the bookstore because I have to go home and devour the info. imediately.

Wendy, thanks so much for this blog. It's been very entertaining and educational for me. And those montages of minis/eclairs-- I think those may be my favorite posts ever on eGullet.

I asked a few questions early in the week, but I could see you working late into the night to answer all the questions, and I decided to give it a rest. Please don't feel you became less interesting as the week went on; you're the hardest working blogger in blog business! You deserved a break from all the questions.

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

My very favorite place is the bookstore. I visit 2 local bookstores every Monday on my day off. I really like magazines because they come out monthly (usually) and so theres just sooooo much information every month to catch up with. I look thru every cooking and baking magazine there and at the grocery store. I also like to look at the ladies home magazines because they also feature desserts.

Then on a daily basis I look thru my book collection. I've got a great deal of them memoried (that word being used loosely) from studing them so much.

I REALLY LOVE anything Martha Stewarts put out.!!!!!!!!!! She's had a tremenous influence on me. Looking at her first books showed me making food could involve the visual arts. She was ground breaking when her first books came out. No one what displaying food in baskets, with themes, not on mirrors or silver trays. I believe she's has as much, if not MORE impact on the food industry and home cooks then Julia Child or James Beard. I think she's constantly showing the most creative work that's not in the "elite" pastry books. Her wedding cakes have become the standard for the industry. Brides everywhere bring us photos of the cakes shes published begging us to reproduce them. I feel bad that people judge her magazines and her personality and crimes and can't get past that to really take a good look at how she's impacted Cooking and Baking. I don't care any which way about her personal life or if she is or isn't arrogant. I get soooo much creative imput and ideas out of each of her magazines...they're the most exciting thing that arrives in my mailbox. Sometimes I can't wait for my subscription to arrive at home and I buy the copy at the bookstore because I have to go home and devour the info. imediately.

I really love Martha Stewart as well. I bought that Entertaining book when it first came out and I was just enthralled with her techniques. However, do you really think that all the ideas in the magazine are hers? She has such a huge team of creative people working for her that I truly wonder how much she really contributes these days.

Btw, have you ever made her coconut cake. Im searching for the perfect coconut cake recipe.

Absolutely fantastic blog, Wendy.

The creative muse must be riding on your shoulders.

I am simply awestruck by the depth and breadth of your repertoire.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

However, do you really think that all the ideas in the magazine are hers?  She has such a huge team of creative people working for her that I truly wonder how much she really contributes these days. 

Btw, have you ever made her coconut cake.  Im searching for the perfect coconut cake recipe.

Of course I don't think the ideas are all hers (after her first couple books I doubt much of the ideas were hers, she turned her focus to running a very successful coporation)......when I talk about "her" it's "her" name on the magazines and books I'm refering to.........I couldn't care less who did the work and ideas, who gets credit or not. I don't care if she steals the lime light or doesn't give enough credit to employees or not. I'm not into judging that aspect at all, I'm simply looking at the content and telling you all the title of the magazine in which it can be found. AND I should add, sometimes the magazine falls way short and is boring as heck to me. I'm referring to a body of work that I've studied since it hit the bookstores in the earily 80's. I'm not even actually talking about specific recipes from her stuff........In the earily 80's the cooking books and baking books in the stores were nothing like they are now. I think her book impacted everyone writing cookbooks because from then on they all embrased the art of presentation (and other things), etc........

Her coconut cake is o.k. I voiced my opinion on who's recipe I believe is the BEST coconut cake.You can find it in the coconut cake thread in The Pastry & Baking Forum.

While I was writing that last post I was snacking on this:

gallery_8093_3_17738.jpg

left over lox (actually it's NOVA) and bagels

I had to photograph this tomato, it actually smells like a tomato and I was really excited over having it, turned out the taste wasn't as good as the smell..........oh well.

gallery_8093_3_504622.jpg

I bought this package of nova yesterday at our new grocery store. It was aprox. $10.00 and it's a huge amount of fish. I'll be purchasing this again! Compared to the smoked salmon you buy at the bagel chain store, it's $5.00 and there isn't enough for two bagels.

gallery_8093_3_74935.jpg

Wendy, like everyone else here I've enjoyed this immensely. Your work is stunning and I love how easily you seem to move between elegant desserts and fun items.

So, what have you got up your sleeve for the upcoming Mother's Day?

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I wanted to show you all around my work a little more. The following are photos of our upstairs/main kitchen and the best co-workers you can imagine working with!!! You can't believe how much they make me laugh each and everyday, they're all a bunch of comedians.

I haven't been able to capture scale of things in my photographs. This is really true in the photos in our kitchen. The kitchen is actually very small.........and for the amount of volume we do it's unbelievably small. If you look for little details from one kitchen to the next you'll see that my Chef has used successfully every square inch of the kitchen, even up the walls. He's always moving things to perfect where things are located so it's the most efficiant we all can be in such a tight area. I really like that fact, he's always thinking and studing!

This first shot is of our newly anounced sous chef (he was our saute person but just this week he was promoted). As you can see he's pretty young (like 23)..........but he's packed with talent!

gallery_8093_3_88421.jpg

oh..........I wanted to add that he apprenticed at Jean Banchets restaurant in Wheeling IL and that he's generously desided to take on the mentorship of a highschool student who wants to enter our profession. Soooooooohe gives back and really gives most of his spare time to others. (I'm really proud to work with and know him)

gallery_8093_3_7340.jpg

gallery_8093_3_109812.jpg

gallery_8093_3_82541.jpg

gallery_8093_3_46930.jpg

gallery_8093_3_74501.jpg

gallery_8093_3_57691.jpg

gallery_8093_3_85211.jpg

gallery_8093_3_95122.jpg

gallery_8093_3_75855.jpg

gallery_8093_3_63486.jpg

gallery_8093_3_55512.jpg

gallery_8093_3_69612.jpg

gallery_8093_3_22380.jpg

gallery_8093_3_144880.jpg

gallery_8093_3_53383.jpg

gallery_8093_3_23659.jpg

gallery_8093_3_55342.jpg

In a couple weeks this area becomes our snack shop area to service the pool. In about5 square feet we jam two snack bar attendees into the tight little kitchen. The attendees make most of the items that they sell, like: pizza and milk shakes and the hardest part is they have to figure out how to work in zero space. We can be doing a party for 300 people 1 foot away from them sharing the same oven their heating their pizzas in.

gallery_8093_3_26090.jpg

Of course I have more photos to show you all............

These guys wouldn't turn and smile for me, but that won't stop me from sharing this anyway.

gallery_8093_3_31030.jpg

Everyone has to perform............

This first person does the evening salad station and is responsible for plating my desserts. He works two full time jobs 6 days a week! Everyone is lazy compared to him. In between his earily job and his night job he jogs and lifts weights. His day begins at 5:30 am and ends anywhere from 10:00 to 12:00 everyday. Don't think this is some temporary situation, he's been doing this for eleven years now. He's buildt himself and mother a home in Mexico and hopes to retire there soon. But I keep teasing him that he'd never know how to retire.

gallery_8093_3_88402.jpg

This guy is our night shift grill man. If you follow music happenings in the Chicagoland area you might see him. He's got a band and is in the middle of a area wide competition to find the best band. He's the lead singer and of course he is always rocking out at work. He's been known to get the whole line singing together with the radio........it's quite a hoot. He used to always have purple or blue hair and black painted fingernails.............but for some reason he thinks he can no longer wear that look. Recently he confided in me the fact that he was student council president thru high school............but I'm sworn to secretcy so you didn't learn that from me.

gallery_8093_3_61276.jpg

I forget if that was supposed to be his phone number for me to post over the internet or if it was his mug shot:

gallery_8093_3_65138.jpg

The waitress on the left of this photo is working her way thru nursing school and won a scholarship grant thru the club. The women on the right is our club assistant manager.........she and I are the only left wingers (politics) in the whole building and she provides me with the funniest info. off the net regarding politics.

gallery_8093_3_125780.jpg

And I've saved the most important person for last. This is my Chef (notice how young he is too! oh and look at where his head is in relation to the ceiling.....he's a tall guy). His wife works at the club too and she brought by their son to say hi to Daddy......since he works so much sometimes they have visits at work between parties/events.

gallery_8093_3_97773.jpg